I'm currently the very happy owner of a Z10 but I'm looking for a device (BlackBerry of course) with improved cellular radio reception. I know the Z30 has the Paratek antenna but I might decide to hold out and wait for the Classic if it has the same or similar antenna.

Anyone any idea what antenna the Classic will have?

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    06-23-14 08:43 AM
    I have a feeling "Paratek antenna" is a marketing buzzword:

Inside the BlackBerry Z10 | Chipworks Blog

We had one of our readers spot another really good chip story, and one that perhaps helps to differentiate Blackberry in terms of their vertical integration and wireless capabilities. There are three impedance matched BST (Barium Strontium Titanate) IC’s that were developed by a company called Paratek, which was acquired by RIM in March 2012 (the orange devices at right). They play a key role in tuning the antenna. One of the investors in Paratek calls the solution a. “game changer by allowing users to upload data faster and experience fewer dropped calls.”

The BST devices allow for the antenna tuning to be optimized depending upon conditions, thus making them adaptive. Voltages to the BST tuner IC’s are modified to maximize tuner efficiency, thus saving power and reducing dropped calls.
    But still, it should have a few years' worth of software and hardware improvements compared to what the Z10/Q10 launched with.
    06-23-14 12:02 PM
    Sometimes i have problems with my Q10: droped calls

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 02:12 PM
    I second that question. Lost calls can cost $$ in business. Sure hope the 20 has good reception, however it does it.
    06-23-14 04:09 PM
    Thanks for everyone's input. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer in the public domain at the moment. Hopefully BlackBerry will release information on this in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 04:28 PM

But still, it should have a few years' worth of software and hardware improvements compared to what the Z10/Q10 launched with.
    Thx for sharing.

Do you have any contacts within BlackBerry that may confirm this?

In my experience the Z30 does provide better antenna capabilities but I might be biased due to the marketing of Z30/paratek.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 04:52 PM
    The paratek antenna technology sounds just like a tunable array. From what I understand it minimizes battery consumption when the device is in standby in low signal areas, and maximizes signal reception (and consequently increases battery load) only when actually being used to transmit/receive.

In other words, it's biggest contribution is to maximize battery life (as evidenced with the Z30). Since it's pretty hard to squeeze more battery life out of current batteries, it would be very unlikely that they would not incorporate this into any future phones since it would likely decrease any battery life claims.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 and idssteve like this.
    06-23-14 06:09 PM
    Reception is also better with z30 then with z10 I know cause I've used both

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    06-25-14 09:46 AM
    The paratek antenna technology sounds just like a tunable array. From what I understand it minimizes battery consumption when the device is in standby in low signal areas, and maximizes signal reception (and consequently increases battery load) only when actually being used to transmit/receive.

In other words, it's biggest contribution is to maximize battery life (as evidenced with the Z30). Since it's pretty hard to squeeze more battery life out of current batteries, it would be very unlikely that they would not incorporate this into any future phones since it would likely decrease any battery life claims.

Posted via CB10
    If Paratek is some form of "tunable array",
    is it possible a removable battery cover might have complicated FCC compliance for it? Hence, the z30's fixed cover?? ?
    06-25-14 01:49 PM
    I've asked my very trustworthy source and he replied that only Z30 and future devices have Paratek antenna technology.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 01:37 PM
    I've asked my very trustworthy source and he replied that only Z30 and future devices have Paratek antenna technology.

Posted via CB10
    All foreseeable future devices e.g. classic or future full touchscreen devices?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 02:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't that what they advertised? Z30's battery new and improved? So implicitly the previous devices don't have it.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    06-30-14 07:40 AM

I reckon it's a great advertising buzzword, they should keep using it, and of course fitting the devices with it.

Do the other phone makers advertise anything like it? Couldn't tell off the top of my head.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    06-30-14 07:43 AM
    I have a Z30 and hi had the z10 before. Same reception. Same bad reception at the same spots, same good reception at others.
    As far as I can tell
    06-30-14 08:18 AM