First and most importantly this is only my opinion and off the wall suggestions. So don't get your panties pushed up. Take it for what it is and maybe this thread can be productive instead of a name calling or "can't" or "won't" thread. Aren't we all BerryHeads?

There seems to be a some Legacy BBOSZ users going back to their older BlackBerry 9900. Mainly because of the learning curve from OS7 to BB10.

Coming from a 9900 myself, I had a difficult first month with the Classic. But with the newer 10.3 OS and an understanding of apps, I have made the transition and like it. Yes, there are still some things not as good as OS7, but overall it is the best Qwerty phone BlackBerry has made.

I started a thread in the Bold 9900/9930 forum about producing a retro fit mother board for the 9900 to:

1) Update the 9900 with at least 2k RAM
    2) Help stop migration to other platforms as these older phones die.
    3) Stabilize the loss of SAF/BIS revenue

That thread is here:
    Loss of SAF (System Access Fees) from OS7 devices - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

+++++++++++++++
    This thread:

Since people are having problems with BB10 why not take OS7 and install it on the Classic? I know it is going backwards but this will allow the death of older Legacy phones and a smooth transition to BB10.

OS8: Program OS7 in a manner to work the same way it did on the 9900 except adapt it to be used on the newer CPU. And if possible use the same apps.

Program OS9 to be an upgrade adding some of the BB10 Hub features and the apps from BB10.

Program OS10 to be a maybe BB10.2. Or something in between OS9 and the current BB10 OS.

Final update would be current BB10 OS

The user could update as he feels comfortable with.

Then there is no reason for a Legacy owner to switch to another brand and they would be able to make a slower transition to BB10

Brain storm????

Posted via CB10
    jrsva2008, donemt, Frehley and 2 others like this.
    04-26-15 05:28 AM
    I love the idea. I would buy that phone the second it was available. BlackBerry largest user base is bbos users of 5:1to bb10 users. If a bb10 classic hasn't brought bbos users over then BlackBerry needs to sell them a new phone to keep them from jumping ship. Bb10 is too different from bbos. A typical bbos user who is being forced off the platform might as well go learn ios or android than learn bb10 with all its app limitations.

A classic with the legacy os would be a game changer.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-26-15 05:40 AM
    Some people prefers the 9900 form factor. I would buy a 1:1 copy of the 9900 with BB10!
    We get that with the Q10 but without toolbelt...! And no! the Classic is not a newer 9900! its too big and with a nonremovable battery bla bla bla
    AllanQuatermain and Mr4aces like this.
    04-26-15 05:51 AM
    Some people prefers the 9900 form factor. I would buy a 1:1 copy of the 9900 with BB10!
    We get that with the Q10 but without toolbelt...! And no! the Classic is not a newer 9900! its too big and with a nonremovable battery bla bla bla
    I like both ideas a new mother board for the 9900 and Os7 for the Classic.

I like the size of the 99 and Q10 for carrying in my front pants pockets or in my shirt pocket for music.

Posted via CB10
    Frehley likes this.
    04-26-15 06:12 AM
    I love the idea. I would buy that phone the second it was available. BlackBerry largest user base is bbos users of 5:1to bb10 users. If a bb10 classic hasn't brought bbos users over then BlackBerry needs to sell them a new phone to keep them from jumping ship. Bb10 is too different from bbos. A typical bbos user who is being forced off the platform might as well go learn ios or android than learn bb10 with all its app limitations.

A classic with the legacy os would be a game changer.

Posted via CB10
    I thought of this when I was writing the thread on replacement mother board.

At least by doing this we won't see thread after thread about the transition.

Don't get me wrong I was a non believer. But Bb10.3 changed my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 06:16 AM
    I don't think BBOS will take advantage of more hardware but I may be wrong. Why not just make a BBOS skin on top of BB10?
    AllanQuatermain and Mr4aces like this.
    04-26-15 06:33 AM
    First and most importantly this is only my opinion and off the wall suggestions. So don't get your panties pushed up. Take it for what it is and maybe this thread can be productive instead of a name calling or "can't" or "won't" thread. Aren't we all BerryHeads?
    Read your post and pulled my panties back down.
    So, I do think your suggestion belongs in the "Armchair CEO" or "Dream devices" topics, since it is by anyone's stretch of the imagination extremely fanciful and unlikely to happen. Therefore I think "can't" and "won't" are inevitable.

There seems to be a some Legacy BBOSZ users going back to their older BlackBerry 9900. Mainly because of the learning curve from OS7 to BB10.
    Some legacy users, business people?, the backbone of the world's productivity?, are unable to adapt to using a new mobile phone OS? I understand "preference", but "inability"? When they are looking for employees, they inevitably want intelligent, dynamic, forward thinking candidates, but they are unable to fulfil their own demands in themselves?

OK, that's stretching things a bit, but people are creatures of comfort and will often be unwilling to change without a kick up the donkey.

Since people are having problems with BB10 why not take OS7 and install it on the Classic? I know it is going backwards but this will allow the death of older Legacy phones and a smooth transition to BB10.
    Because it costs money. Big money. It's not just a matter of booting OS7 on Classic, it will involve a significant amount of software development effort to port to the new hardware. Then you have to maintain 2 separate codebases. Test 2 OS releases. Deal with 2 times the bugs. Persuade the network operators to approve 2 competing OSs. Market to 2 types of consumer. Support 2 sets of consumer. etc.

Then, when you've spent all that cash, those that like OS7 will say that they like it so much on the Classic that they want it on other devices too. Is obviously possible, since it was possible for the Classic. OS7 on Passport anyone? Gotta keep the customers happy.

OS8: Program OS7 in a manner to work the same way it did on the 9900 except adapt it to be used on the newer CPU. And if possible use the same apps.
    So 2 codebases, 2 bugs, etc.

Program OS9 to be an upgrade adding some of the BB10 Hub features and the apps from BB10.
    So 3 codebases, 3 bugs, etc.

Program OS10 to be a maybe BB10.2. Or something in between OS9 and the current BB10 OS.
    So 4 codebases, 4 bugs, etc.

Final update would be current BB10 OS
    Or just spend all those suggested costs on improving OS10 in the first place so that legacy users have to try hard to think of a reason not to upgrade to OS10.

The user could update as he feels comfortable with.
    The user needs a kick up the ...

Then there is no reason for a Legacy owner to switch to another brand and they would be able to make a slower transition to BB10
    I don't think it is as simple as that unfortunately and has been discussed in great detail in other threads.

Brain storm????
    Can't and won't are inevitable from me I'm afraid. BB doesn't have cash to burn on a mollycoddle project like this. They need to improve and sell OS10 as the great product that it is and win people over...if it's not too late.
    04-26-15 06:52 AM
    I don't think BBOS will take advantage of more hardware but I may be wrong. Why not just make a BBOS skin on top of BB10?
    Good idea. The Classic has enough room. And still have "step" updates and finally removing the OS7?

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 06:54 AM
    OP... did you know that java is dead? BBOS was Java based... one of the reason why BlackBerry let it down is that Java has reached its limited (couldn't handle multi core, couldn't handle more memory...).

They probably don't even teach Java anymore.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 06:59 AM
    Good idea. The Classic has enough room. And still have "step" updates and finally removing the OS7?

Posted via CB10
    If it was a skin there would be no OS7, just a skin to look like and mimic it. I'm not sure how much work that would be.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-26-15 07:04 AM
    OP... did you know that java is dead? BBOS was Java based... one of the reason why BlackBerry let it down is that Java has reached its limited (couldn't handle multi core, couldn't handle more memory...).

Java is just a programming language. Sure, any one implementation of its run time environment may have inherent limitations, but that has little to do with the language. Java is very big on servers and can run on systems with many more cores than the average smartphone.

Edit: You do know Android is significantly Java based?
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-26-15 07:07 AM
    Java is just a programming language. Sure, any one implementation of its run time environment may have inherent limitations, but that has little to do with the language. Java is very big on servers and can run on systems with many more cores than the average smartphone.

He was talking about BlackBerry java OS, not java runtime or script.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-26-15 07:17 AM
    I'd just make two theme styles one can choose from on BB10. Legacy and Modern

Legacy looks and feels just like BBOS, with the app drawer, header notifications, message system, home screens. and Modern would just be BB10.3. On device setup, give the user the option to choose Either Legacy Mode or Modern Mode
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-26-15 07:19 AM
    @Baarn

Never said I could program in COLBOL2010 or anything after C74.

Just making a suggestion. For people like you to give reasons why not.

OK BlackBerry does nothing for BIS subscribers. The used 9900 are at least 4 years old they should be all failing about now. That means instead of 15% per quarter, it could be 15-20% next quarter. Who knows what that lost will be next year. Compound the monthly lost of revenue and is more that that percent at the end of the year. It is not unfeasible for them to lose $500M+ in SAF revenue in 2016.

How much to reprogram. I don't know think of it in man hours and you would be able to estimate the hours then double or triple it. Then X $100/hr would be a off the wall guess.

Cost effective? Would depend on how quick the public will transition to the BlackBerry device, how worn out the legacy devices are and the users decision to switch platforms.

We are just brain storming. Someone should be able shed new light?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 04-26-15 at 07:43 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-26-15 07:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    OK do you have a way to use a similar OS that would transition Legacy users?

What is the maximum memory Java will run on?

So maybe the cost to rewrite the OS would be prohibitive.

And maybe the replacement mother board would work. With the max CPU java will handle.

I don't know. Just stroming

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:35 AM
    No one wants spinning hour glasses anymore or checkerboard browsers. I loved BBOS, but BB10 is so much better.
    FCSC, Blacklatino, fkornre and 2 others like this.
    04-26-15 07:38 AM

Thank you for your input and knowledge.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:38 AM

Brain storm????

Posted via CB10
    More like brain fart.

Might as well tell the car companies to be able to put older engines in the new bodies of the car models.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    04-26-15 07:43 AM
    More like brain fart.

Might as well tell the car companies to be able to put older engines in the new bodies of the car models.

Would love a new challenger with an old school hemi.
    Blacklatino and Mr4aces like this.
    04-26-15 07:46 AM
    More like brain fart.

Good one Frank. Don't like it?

I "think" you ment new engines in older cars?

They do remake 55_57 Chevys, Camaros and all sort of car bodies are retooled and retro filed with new modern day motors. They also take old car bodies and replace over half the panels and put newer motors in them.

The big 3 thought your idea was good enough to make the Camaro, Mustang. Challenger and Charger.

But your not a car guy are you?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 04-26-15 at 04:32 PM.
    04-26-15 07:51 AM
    He was talking about BlackBerry java OS, not java runtime or script.
    Read it again. He specifically refers to Java's limitations.
    04-26-15 07:52 AM
    BlackBerry 's version of Java OS even though he just said java. At least I think that's what he was saying and didn't.
    04-26-15 07:55 AM
    BlackBerry 's version of Java OS even though he just said java. At least I think that's what he was saying and didn't.
    Well he even speculated that they had stopped teaching Java, and that is certainly not referring to anything from BlackBerry.
    But it doesn't matter anyway. Java's not dead yet, just a pity that Oracle now owns it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-26-15 07:59 AM
    Well he even speculated that they had stopped teaching Java, and that is certainly not referring to anything from BlackBerry.
    But it doesn't matter anyway. Java's not dead yet, just a pity that Oracle now owns it.
    Agree. Misinformed.
    04-26-15 08:04 AM
    They should really update OS7 to a new one BBOS8 for the old bolds and new bolds?

while BBOS10 is for the mainstream devices.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-26-15 08:20 AM
82 123 ...