actually maybe you could run bbos in a virtual machine.
    04-26-15 07:30 PM
    actually maybe you could run bbos in a virtual machine.
    To get back old BBOS apps?

Cause if you want more than just apps, the runtime will need access to key features of the phone. Which means a huge security hasard since not more people program in Java anymore

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:40 PM
    To get back old BBOS apps?

Cause if you want more than just apps, the runtime will need access to key features of the phone. Which means a huge security hasard since not more people program in Java anymore

Posted via CB10
    I think most of the BB10 is fine. It's the colander, alarm, hub,contacts and how the phone function is most difference.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:52 PM
    I think most of the BB10 is fine. It's the colander, alarm, hub,contacts and how the phone function is most difference.

Posted via CB10
    The hub is the centrepiece of BB10.
    Do you know what a load bearing wall is?
    Would you tear one out of your house?
    04-26-15 08:08 PM
    OP... did you know that java is dead? BBOS was Java based... one of the reason why BlackBerry let it down is that Java has reached its limited (couldn't handle multi core, couldn't handle more memory...).

They probably don't even teach Java anymore.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure you have to be trolling or you enjoy talking about things you know nothing about. 80% of smartphones sold worldwide run java. Android and most of the million plus downloaded apps are written in java. Java is one of the most popular languages in the world. Go to YouTube and watch the speed test between the note 4 written in Java and the almighty BlackBerry passport.

I will spoil the results for you. The note 4 absolutely embarrasses the passport. It's not even close.

Any short comings that bbos has were due to poor coding or heavy technical debt from a decade plus of operation and not inherent to the Java language.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by keithhackneysmullet; 04-26-15 at 09:26 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-26-15 08:46 PM
    @drBoombotz

OK leave the back bone alone

Perfect the pop up notifications;

Add the ability to organize the hub in the order you you want. This would put you most used account at the top of the hub and the least used accounts on the bottom

Fix the contact so it blocks out the social contacts. Right now I'm constantly fixing fixing the contact list. The setting in Contacts should alway over ride any media settings. Example If you don't want your FB or TW account to be added to your contact list the setting should be controlled by Contacts and not by FB TW. This happens when you switch media account or upgrade the apps.

Fix the phone function. So much harder to make a call from the contact list and ending a call

Fix all the SEARCH functions when using anything connected to contacts so it searches properly. Right now if you type "A" for Adam it searches for any contact with an "A" the spelling. It should search by the first letter of thr nick name and the first letter of the sir name. And not bring up Mary, Bart or Walker. It should bring up Adam, Alan and Anderson. The way it searches now is causing a loop and causing it to take to long to search.

These are what I think is the most annoying this BB10 vs OS7

I'm sure there are others. If BlackBerry could fix these main everyday thing it would be less frustrating.

I can go back to my 99 because it was just sold. I'm sure others could provide more.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 09:30 PM
    Sounds like you just want them to fix what you don't like about bb10.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-26-15 09:32 PM
    As others have said, make a BBOS runtime similar to the android runtime for BBOS applications.
    It might be the easiest solution but it will still be very hard and very expensive.
    they basically tried this and failed back in the early days. you don't need 2 runtimes running on an already memory hungry OS
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-26-15 10:03 PM
    Sounds like you just want them to fix what you don't like about bb10.
    I'm already adapted to the BB10. I'm just trying to think of the most frustrating things when learning to use the Classic.

Most used: Phone Email Messaging Calendar and Contacts

That is what a new user needs to ne better.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:19 PM
    they basically tried this and failed back in the early days. you don't need 2 runtimes running on an already memory hungry OS
    OS7 in the entirety uses about 300mb. Pull the OS back to 10.1 with OS7 should use about the same amount of RAM. Your not going to need 100% of both.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:25 PM
    I'm sure you have to be trolling or you enjoy talking about things you know nothing about. 80% of smartphones sold worldwide run java. Android and most of the million plus downloaded apps are written in java. Java is one of the most popular languages in the world. Go to YouTube and watch the speed test between the note 4 written in Java and the almighty BlackBerry passport.

I will spoil the results for you. The note 4 absolutely embarrasses the passport. It's not even close.

Any short comings that bbos has were due to poor coding or heavy technical debt from a decade plus of operation and not inherent to the Java language.

Posted via CB10
    Android is mostly built on Linux kernel and written in C. It's a common mistakes to think that Android is written in Java... it was merely inspired.

Also applications sort of use Java... but they don't even use the Java virtual machine, so I won't consider the note to be entirely program in Java!

It's like saying that the Porsche 911 is a VW cause VW provide some of the components to it.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    04-26-15 10:54 PM
    Java's not dead yet, just a pity that Oracle now owns it.
    yeah, i have to use it at work with iProcurement and ADP and it sucks. I wish they'd use another software platform.
    04-27-15 01:50 AM
    I'm already adapted to the BB10. I'm just trying to think of the most frustrating things when learning to use the Classic.

Most used: Phone Email Messaging Calendar and Contacts

That is what a new user needs to ne better.

Posted via CB10
    i learned all this about my new BB10 in the first 10 minutes. I came from BBOS 7.1 and not looking back thanks to the Hub and swiftness of BB10.
    04-27-15 01:54 AM
    I cannot think of one reason as to why BlackBerry should revert back from BB10 to OS7 - the upgrade is faster, much more stable and easier to use.

I upgraded from a Bold 9900 to a Classic, OS7 to BB10.3 and the learning curve was less than 5 minutes - everything that felt natural and right on OS7 was transferable across to BB10 and everything behaved exactly as I expected it to. In fact, my Classic is the only mobile phone I've ever owned which I can hand over to my mother and have her dial a number or read a text straight away without me telling her how to do it. I can give this phone to anybody and simply say 'touch the feature you want to use, use the keyboard to type in letters' and they get it straight away without any questions or hesitation.

Blackberry Internet Service is obsolete. BIS was released in Australia in 2005 - nearly 10 years ago. It was available as a $49 add-on to business customers providing unlimited email and internet. At the time this was exceptional value as the only other offering was a $15 Surf and Email pack giving 6MB of data. In comparison, today the most popular $105 per month business plan comes with 17GB included.

The BB10.3 operating system is leaps and bounds ahead of OS7 in terms of everything.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 02:31 AM
    Android is mostly built on Linux kernel and written in C. It's a common mistakes to think that Android is written in Java... it was merely inspired.

Also applications sort of use Java... but they don't even use the Java virtual machine, so I won't consider the note to be entirely program in Java!

It's like saying that the Porsche 911 is a VW cause VW provide some of the components to it.

Posted via CB10
    The kernel is Linux that is true but that is a very small part of the os. Android is overwhelmingly java you are purposely being disingenuous. All the libraries everything a user interacts with is java. Know I know your trolling. See this article if you still doubt me http://www.androidauthority.com/want...-learn-391008/

By the way bbos kernel was written in c and everything else is java. Just like android.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 08:09 AM
    The kernel is Linux that is true but that is a very small part of the os. Android is overwhelmingly java you are purposely being disingenuous. All the libraries everything a user interacts with is java. Know I know your trolling. See this article if you still doubt me http://www.androidauthority.com/want...-learn-391008/

By the way bbos kernel was written in c and everything else is java. Just like android.

Posted via CB10
    Gosh... let me put it this way so you can understand: do you see a Java logo when you boot up your Note? Or anywhere in the OS?

It's a proprietary language own by Oracle.

It's Java INSPIRED. It doesn't even use the Java virtual machine. It uses Dalvik.

You don't program apps in java for android

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    04-27-15 08:23 AM
    04-27-15 09:25 AM
    Java is free open source software under gnu general public licence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(p...ming_language)
    I have provided links to my sources. You are either badly misinformed or trolling. I hope it's just ignorance on your part.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 09:26 AM
    First and most importantly this is only my opinion and off the wall suggestions. So don't get your panties pushed up.

All replies are the logical issues with your opinion, don't get your shirt off.

There seems to be a some Legacy BBOSZ users going back to their older BlackBerry 9900. Mainly because of the learning curve from OS7 to BB10.
    High five for them to prefering to use a slow *** device then to spend 30 minutes learning how to use a better one.

I started a thread in the Bold 9900/9930 forum about producing a retro fit mother board for the 9900 to:

1) Update the 9900 with at least 2k RAM
    BBOS can't handle that. It did a poor job handling the amount the 9900 had. Remember the clock? The same would happen, no matter how much memory you throw at it.

2) Help stop migration to other platforms as these older phones die.
    No, it wouldn't. Same OS, same issues, same lack of apps, same lack of support from major service providers.

3) Stabilize the loss of SAF/BIS revenue
    BIS is going away. They know it. They don't need to prevent it or slow it down, they need to make damn well sure the alrernative is well implemented and selling well. Life support does not help BlackBerry.

+++++++++++++++
    This thread:

Since people are having problems with BB10 why not take OS7 and install it on the Classic? I know it is going backwards but this will allow the death of older Legacy phones and a smooth transition to BB10.
    Because BBOS was the reason BlackBerry got in so much trouble to begin with. I'm sorry, I know you mean well. But the idea is not good.

The OS should have been canned by the time iOS came out. They had to offer something that could compete in all levels and they didn't. BlackBerry 10 can though. It's not just going backwards, it's trying to make an offer a salad to a bacon lover. So you want the browser that can't handle **** back? The old, date, unsupported BBOS apps? And to waste money on forcing a dead OS to run on new hardware that's not compatible and then wasting MORE money pushing it around the world to get even WORSE media coverare ("BlackBerry has finally lost it's mind: The return of BBOS in all it's lackluster lack of glory"). What for? To keep a handful of users that won't even be BlackBerry's niche in 5-10 years happy?

Dude, think before posting.

OS8: Program OS7 in a manner to work the same way it did on the 9900 except adapt it to be used on the newer CPU. And if possible use the same apps.

Program OS9 to be an upgrade adding some of the BB10 Hub features and the apps from BB10.

Program OS10 to be a maybe BB10.2. Or something in between OS9 and the current BB10 OS.

Oh yeah, for all intents and purposes, Tablet OS was BB8, Tablet OS 2 was BB9. BB10 is BB10.
    It's a bad idea ok? Not per se. If they had released a Bold 10000 and then did exactly what you describe, OS wise, it would have rocked the pants of a lot of people. 5 years ago.

But the time for that has indeed passed. I would have liked it then, but let's deal with reality.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-27-15 09:41 AM
    It's not a bad idea. A bad idea is creating a totally new mobile os with no infrastructure built by a group of developers who had no experience in mobile and proved while building the PlayBook os that it was beyond the scope of their skills.

If BlackBerry was going to dump the legacy system they should have just skinned android like everyone else. Instead the mantra is now let's ride bb10 to the death of the hardware division.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 10:05 AM
    True maybe a bad ideal.

Just throwing something out to save legacy owner from turning to other platforms.

BlackBerry has less than 1 percent of the new market. Most of these legacy owner will move on.

They apparently don't like the BB10. Just look at the other postings.

Just because we have adapted doesn't mean it can't be improved for others.

Android on the Classic after using the OS7 for at least 3 years?

BlackBerry is not going to make everybody happy, but apparently there's a lot not liking the transition.

If BlackBerry loses the billion dollars per year in SAF there will be no BlackBerry no matter what is in the works.

New mother board for the 9900?
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 04-27-15 at 10:48 AM.
    04-27-15 10:30 AM
    I just don't understand when half your revenue is from SAF fees how you can watch it being taken away by you competition.

For every SAF dollar BlackBerry loses it has to replace it with at least $4 or more

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 10:57 AM
    I just don't understand when half your revenue is from SAF fees how you can watch it being taken away by you competition.

For every SAF dollar BlackBerry loses it has to replace it with at least $4 or more

Posted via CB10
    Please explain why you need $4 to replace a SAF dollar?
    Who wants BIS now?
    Why would I want BIS?

I am not getting where you are coming from.
    04-27-15 11:02 AM
    So what would you do given the same question?

Maybe I do need 2 runtimes on a memory hungry OS.
    04-27-15 11:37 AM
    Please explain why you need $4 to replace a SAF dollar?
    Who wants BIS now?
    Why would I want BIS?

I am not getting where you are coming from.
    SAF is a fee that the carrier pay to BlackBerry for this BIS, BlackBerry Internet Service. Email and messaging goes through BlackBerry servers. I would "guess" the the equipment is capitalized over 3-5 years. So there is really little or no cost. RIM forced that upon the carrier using all Legacy devices (OS7)

Every $1 of SAF money is pure profit. It gerally will take "at least" $4 of revenue to make $1 profit. Most cases closer to $8+

What I'm saying is the lost of SAF money can't be replaced one for one.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-27-15 11:39 AM
82 1234