I'm upgrading from a 9310 Curve.

TL;DR version: This phone is VERY biased towards touch, I was expecting better key, trackpad and shortcut implementation.

Edit: Grey areas aside and in no particular order, list is now into groupings.
    Full Version:Conclusion at end.
    (some stuff I may not of figured out, feel free to correct me)

Missing BBOS Features
    • Maps has no shortcuts; many mail shortcuts missing, many app shortcuts missing all over.
    • Unable to simply type in a calendar entry on the highlighted day.
    • Only allowed 8 apps open at one time.
    • Can't simply back key out of many popup menus.
    • Unable to simply hit enter then type in data within the note while creating the note.
    • Unable to simply press enter key after searching in Contacts.
    • Can't just directly start typing on highlighted day to make an event within Calendar.
    • Same in Compose, can't press enter to select highlighted account.
    • Many keyboard tricks are absent while editing text ex. Alt+ left/right trackpad, Alt+trackpad in, etc
    • Enter key does not advance to next entry or finish an entry in several areas.
    • No true minimize of apps or no way to minimize and go directly to 'icon page 1' to quickly launch another app.
    • Cascading submenus gone. (More by trackpading left or right is fair compromise)
    • Can't auto spell correct words while still at the end of the word.
    • Can't do the berry key hold 'alt-tab' like feature to go directly back and forth to the last used app.
    • In title of notes, can't shift select whole line with trackpad up/down motion.
    • Must hold shift to page up.
    • Can't search within System Settings.
    • Can't spacebar page down/up in some System Settings menus.
    • Can't "rolodex" through the days via Shift/Alt trackpad horizontally.
    • Help files are not totally locally stored in the phone, no wifi=no help.
    • No zoom on photos with trackpad. (io does work though)
    • No shortcut to launch task and notes separately.
    • Can't change year easily in a calendar event, must use GoToDate.
    • Can't use enter key to open a highlighted selected note in a note search.
    • Can't shift del a line up from below to the line you are in.
    • Have to go all the way into properties to rename pictures in Pictures.
    • Cant hit first letter of sub menu items to select them quickly.
    • Can't page down with space on home page.
    • Can't use enter key in Phone to start the call
    • Date not normally shown on Home screen, only time is.
    • Zip code field in contact is doesn't automatically set to numbers.
    • When pressing back button from just opening an attachment or link, you don't return to the Hub msg you were just in.
    • Can't use a berry sub menu keyboard shortcut letter unless it is visible; ergo MUST More over to proper sub menu then key shortcut letter will work.

Possible Bug/Glitch
    • OneNote is VERY slow when used in the browser.
    • T shortcut in calendar does not select and highlight today.
    • Caution- Can close any Active Frame and will lose unsaved data.
    • At times, cursor gets stuck at bottom of web pages.
    • Scrolling down with trackpad on web pages is slowed down compared to cursor movement inside other apps.
    • Negative symbol with physical keypad not working in calculator.
    • No save prompt when backing out of newly created Instant Actions (like a new Note entry) or calendar edit.
    • Hotspot login pages do not allow trackpad copy/paste using menu berry button.
    • Calendar lag in general.
    • Some sort of paste bug happens every so often where V key is stuck pasting all the time.
    • Must have note open for body of its contents to be shared, not just the title highlighted on main menu.
    • Pasting a 3 page doc within Docs to Go with trackpad has major lag scrolling until you save the file and reopen it.
    • Opening Calendar event from Hub ignores dark theme that is set inside the Calendar.
    • Long press of Berry/menu key does nothing when in Hub?
    • From Home, Blackberry Assistant shortcut does not launch until you let go of the microphone keyboard key.
    • BlackBerry won't identify some contacts if mobile phone number is written differently, seems to be related to if they were a BBM contact or not.
    • Pasting selected white text with black background sometimes does not work.
    • Voice made internet search with BlackBerry Assistant uses Bing even though it is unchecked as a search engine in settings.
    • Text input line masked over or covered up with word prediction region in several apps.
    • Contact addresses are not found when Maps is launched from Contacts; yet Maps finds address if exact same Contact address is pasted in search field within Maps.
    • Trackpad does not work at all in the phone app when on a call.

Questionable Design Decisions
    • 'Minimize to Hub then zoom out from Hub to open the requested app' animation is purposeless.
    • Trackpad highlighted item is often not very obvious.
    • Can't open bookmarks with K shortcut in initially opened tab page.
    • Live tiles shows the clock instead of the timer or stopwatch that is running.
    • On screen paste square keeps popping up even though I've already pasted.
    • Must swipe, press tiny envelope on home screen or trackpad left to Hub if you wish to resume exactly what you were doing in the Hub.
    • No setting to remove totally redundant menu bar at bottom of most main apps.
    • Unread shortcut in Hub goes firstly to newest unread, not oldest.
    • The blackberry assistant shortcut does not launch BA until you let go of the microphone key.
    • Can't simply start typing to search Tags when in Tags.
    • What purpose does the single letter index serve in Notes, it clutters up the list.
    • Can select multiple notes in a folder at one time but can't move them.
    • Can't set a shortcut to create new calendar event.
    • Can't switch between tasks and notes with the enter key.
    • BB Assistant email create will not allow enter key to move from To to Cc.
    • Sharing text from web page to Remember creates a Task instead of a Note?
    • Unable to use N or P in the Hub to seamlessly go through the All Hub items.
    • Why is Calendar missing from left submenu in Hub?

Tips
    • RTFM, tons of info in it.
    • Vocal dictation can be done in most apps.
    • Tasks show up in active frame if it has a due date.
    • One can pinch/zoom inside the calendar to see more events.
    • Maps tip: quick dbl tap with single finger to zoom in on that spot, and single tap with 2 fingers to zoom out.

Wishlist
    • Bring back many of the lost BBOS functions above.
    • Better or more shortcuts in 3rd party Blackberry apps.
    • I have experienced many, many moments of what I would call unacceptable lag - specs do matter it seems.
    • No camera shortcuts at all?! Bring it pls.
    • Camera takes a while to focus or has a hard time focusing.
    • Maps is very finicky on how searches are worded.
    • List of off internet working BlackBerry assistance commands.
    • More calendar events shown on lock screen than just one.
    • Allow Blend on PC access Remember app.
    • Put universal search on a shortcut and make shortcuts not press and hold.

My Conclusion after 2 weeks
    • BBOS is the absolute Efficiency King of email, msg and editing.
    • I'm pretty much done with this list.
    • Not in any order, main decision to keep my Classic goes like this:

Curve is better at Classic is better at
    size content rich
    weight cell provider
    maneuverability screen
    trackpad keyboard
    quickness Hp/speed
    efficiency with belt BB Link/Blend
    browser
    Last edited by VeryBumpy; 01-03-15 at 05:47 PM. Reason: cleanup and added more
    12-20-14 12:00 AM
    really.....maybe in future software update
    12-20-14 01:31 AM
    Yes, it's not exactly the same as OS7. But for every minor thing that isn't there, there are 20 new improvements that are. Give it time, you'll get used to the changes.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 01:33 AM
    This is the post I'm waiting for.
    12-20-14 02:28 AM
    This is the post I'm waiting for.
    Sadly my list has grown since my first post. (will post more later)

This OS/apps needs quite a bit of fixing for efficient, productive tool belt usage. I'm finding it very lacking. Debating if I will keep this phone or not.
    12-20-14 08:10 AM

TL;DR version: This phone is VERY biased towards touch, I was expecting better key, trackpad and shortcut implementation.

Longer version: Here are some things I noticed in my 2 hours of playing....

Maps has no shortcuts.
    'Minimize to Hub then open the requested app' animation is annoying as heck.
    Trackpad highlighted item is often not very obvious.
    Can't esc or back out of some popup menus.
    OneNote is VERY slow when used in the browser.
    Unable to simply type in a calendar entry on the highlighted day.
    Can't open selected link in new tab using trackpad.
    Only allowed 8 apps open at one time.
    Unable to simply hit enter then type in data within the note while creating the note.
    Many keyboard tricks are absent while editing text ex. Alt+ left/right trackpad, Alt+trackpad in, etc
    Enter key does advance to next entry or finish an entry.
    No true minimize of apps or no way to minimize and go directly to 'icon page 1' to quickly launch another app.

I'm not seeing the UPGRADED in efficiency except for overall hardware.
    What shortcuts do you want. I think the usage of the map is fine.

I don't find it a problem. Look for the light blue. Simple.

You aren't supposed to do that on popups, popups are a decision UI feature.

I don't know why someone wants more than 8 applications open at a time.

I think you need more time with the device. I just tried the browser and click and hold. Brings up context menu (like the touch) and you get open in new tab.

If you really don't want to learn to touch the screen, In app. Back key. Swipe down. Swipe right. Click. Scroll to page 1. Swipe up and select another app. But get used to the swiping the screen. It is a back key to minimize and then swipe left on the screen. You get the best of both worlds, you have to adapt a little. And I don't know what you mean by true minimize.

The efficiency comes when you learn the new OS and realize that touching the screen isn't a bad thing.
    Last edited by Bluenoser63; 12-20-14 at 08:42 AM.
    12-20-14 08:27 AM
    You think the Classic is biased toward touch? Having used a Z10, Q10 and Passport, I'm amazed that I can easily navigate the Classic without using the touch screen at all.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 08:34 AM
    The Classic is not meant to replicate BBOS7, but just to allow a smoother transition to an entirely new way of doing things.

You will find that, for the most part, unless you simply pound out emails all day, that BB10 is a more efficient OS for getting work done. I came from a 9900, and find it almost comical when I pick it up from time to time for nostalgia reasons.

You will have a tough time moving to any new platform (be it Apple, Android, or BB10) from a legacy BlackBerry device. I think the Classic just provides a bit of a bridge.

Being disappointed about missing this feature or that feature from BBOS7, is not unlike someone coming from Apple demanding iTunes, or from Android demanding Google Play Services. It's just not productive, because those things will never happen.

Bottom line is that you are going to have to break free eventually, and your transition to any of the other OSes would be even more difficult. BB10 is still the best option out there for someone coming from a legacy BlackBerry - especially via the Classic.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-20-14 08:35 AM
    The toolbelt is not meant to remove touch from functionality.

It's the opposite of when they made the few touuch os7 devices where the touch was an augment to the trackpad... now the trackpad is an augment to the touch.

Touch is better for many things and ways of navigation etc. What it is NOT better for is detail work- and that is what the trackpad is for.

It's a new system, there is adjustment time.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm, mk2234, cbpoopoo and 3 others like this.
    12-20-14 08:44 AM
    Sadly my list has grown since my first post. (will post more later)

This OS/apps needs quite a bit of fixing for efficient, productive tool belt usage. I'm finding it very lacking. Debating if I will keep this phone or not.
    If you're expecting BB10 to be an improved BB7, you're going to be disappointed.
    BB10 is a totally new OS, and should be treated as such. I'm confident after using BB10 myself for two years, that if you give yourself time to acclimate to the new OS, and take it on its own terms, and not with an preconceptions carried over from BB7, you will find yourself close to if not surpassing your old efficiency within a month.
    I'm very open minded when it comes to technology, and I found my first week with BB10.1 a disappointment (coming from a Bold 9900). Partway through week 2, it started to click, and it's been steadily improving ever since.
    Between the OS improvements, and my cumulative time with the device, I find that although I miss my 9900, all I have to do is fire it up and I realize how much better BB10 is to BB7.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor, mk2234, donemt and 8 others like this.
    12-20-14 08:46 AM
    Thank you all. Yes the more I use this Classic, I'm sadly realizing this is quite a different OS. As we all know, different is not necessarily better to everyone.

I am now smacked in the face with the hard fact that this is not a BB7 replacement, and I highly doubt there ever will be.

In the Classic I'm gladly seeing more features and hardware speed, most everything else looks cumbersome. It's pretty obvious toolbelt functionality was tacked on as best they could. I was hoping for more of a ground up revamp for toolbelt usage.

OS updates may help I suppose. Depends how BB continues it and how far.
    Calvincton Bailey likes this.
    12-20-14 09:29 AM
    You guys think the classic would sell well if they made a BBOS7 version not just BBOS10 ?
    12-20-14 09:34 AM
    You guys think the classic would sell well if they made a BBOS7 version not just BBOS10 ?
    You mean they should have a 9900 with a bigger screen?

I see no market for that, particularly since a BBOS7 device is not really a media device and that BIS was already dying because of lack of carrier and customer support.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-20-14 09:58 AM
    I don't have one yet, but I'm thinking that I'm going to use it just like my q10 except for situations where the toolbelt would be beneficial, like highlighting text, copy, paste, selecting web links. Phone calls, hanging up. I'm not going to try to fall back to navigating and doing everything I used to do on os7.

Couldn't imagine going back to os7. Just installing an app on os7 was so painful! Browsing was next to impossible.
    mk2234 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    12-20-14 10:30 AM
    You will have a tough time moving to any new platform (be it Apple, Android, or BB10) from a legacy BlackBerry device. I think the Classic just provides a bit of a bridge.
    Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    I disagree here. Apple is a very easy OS to use. IOS is very simple to understand; my godchildren picked it up in minutes. I'm pretty sure that's partially why people choose Apple because it's no fuss and easy to learn. I think a long time BlackBerry fan would be frustrated by the lack of business-oriented developments. They would probably feel like their needs weren't considered, but the Apple OS isn't difficult at all.

As for the OP, it's a new OS. The Classic is bound to be not what you expected.
    2c likes this.
    12-20-14 10:35 AM
    Thank you all. Yes the more I use this Classic, I'm sadly realizing this is quite a different OS. As we all know, different is not necessarily better to everyone.

I am now smacked in the face with the hard fact that this is not a BB7 replacement, and I highly doubt there ever will be.

In the Classic I'm gladly seeing more features and hardware speed, most everything else looks cumbersome. It's pretty obvious toolbelt functionality was tacked on as best they could. I was hoping for more of a ground up revamp for toolbelt usage.

OS updates may help I suppose. Depends how BB continues it and how far.
    I loved my 9900 and moved to the Z10, then Z30 and have a Q10 and have now tried the Classic. After understanding the BB10 OS and seeing how much better it was, the Classic brings me back to the 9900 days with a much more powerful OS. Now I have the ability to use just the toolbelt and touch screen to get the best of both worlds. Switching between the two makes a great OS.

Things change. Better get used to it. BB7 and BB10 are different OS versions, just like Windows 95 and Windows 7 are different. You have to adapt with changes. That is what life is about. The Classic is the best querty phone I have ever tried.

There are now two ways to get things done on Classic, use the both to get the most out of the phone.
    mk2234, Chrisy and stevie_wonder like this.
    12-20-14 10:45 AM
    To be honest there is definitely room for improvement, especially with the trackpad. With that said I still think it's miles ahead compared to my old BlackBerry Q10. Something like adding a word to the dictionary can be done super easy with the trackpad. I just click and add, which doesn't require much finger effort. It's far from perfect, and not what I expected but this phone is awesome!

Posted via CB10
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    12-20-14 10:54 AM
    It's like having a 1995 Corolla and buying a 2014 Lexus and complaining that the knobs, mirrors, and seat aren't in exactly the same place. You need to adjust and it will take a few days to feel comfortable in the seat and then you'll wonder why you didn't upgrade sooner.
    12-20-14 10:59 AM
    I disagree here. Apple is a very easy OS to use. IOS is very simple to understand; my godchildren picked it up in minutes. I'm pretty sure that's partially why people choose Apple because it's no fuss and easy to learn. I think a long time BlackBerry fan would be frustrated by the lack of business-oriented developments. They would probably feel like their needs weren't considered, but the Apple OS isn't difficult at all.

I mean relative to how things were done in BBOS7. Look at the OP's list of wants/needs. Apple is much farther from that than BB10.

Of course iOS is easy out of the box, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-20-14 11:01 AM
    A couple of things that I think you might try for efficiency is the new instant actions...to make a new appointment just type calendar from any home screen.

Same way with notes and other stuff, just start typing from the home screen.

I feel your pain on the trackpad implementation, but I am afraid times have changed, and touch screens are here to stay. BB10 is very powerful, once you get used to it, but there are some inherent inefficiencies that come with it also.
    12-20-14 11:07 AM

And that's why I don't use an iphone. It's too simple - meaning that it doesn't have the powerful capabilities and efficiencies of bb10 that make communication so much better. Sure, I could drive my son's electric 4 wheeler to work everyday, but my car gets me there faster and more efficiently. Use the best tools for the job which are not always the easiest to learn.
    12-20-14 11:33 AM
    This may be only partially related - but why not keep a phone you love? The 9900 is a superior business phone and if all you do is text and email, just keep it. My father was a writer. He used the same typewriter from 1948 till the mid-70's, then got a similar model and used it till he passed away in 1981. He was prolific, published all the time and never wanted an electric typewriter. I know folks that have old flip phones because all they do is talk...it's actually a *phone* for them, not an entertainment device
    12-20-14 12:22 PM

Longer version: Here are some things I noticed in my 2 hours of playing....

• Maps has no shortcuts.
    • 'Minimize to Hub then open the requested app' animation is annoying as heck.
    • Trackpad highlighted item is often not very obvious.
    • Can't esc or back out of some popup menus.
    • OneNote is VERY slow when used in the browser.
    • Unable to simply type in a calendar entry on the highlighted day.
    • Can't open selected link in new tab using trackpad.
    • Only allowed 8 apps open at one time.
    • Unable to simply hit enter then type in data within the note while creating the note.
    • Many keyboard tricks are absent while editing text ex. Alt+ left/right trackpad, Alt+trackpad in, etc
    • Enter key does advance to next entry or finish an entry.
    • No true minimize of apps or no way to minimize and go directly to 'icon page 1' to quickly launch another app.
    • added more
    • Caution- found 2 ways that BB closes an app and will not prompt you to save and you lose data.
    • Can't open submenus by trackpading left or right.
    • Can't auto spell correct words while still at the end of the word.
    • T shortcut in calendar does not select and highlight today.
    • Can't open bookmarks with K shortcut in initially opened tab page.
    • Can't do the 'alt-tab' like feature to go directly back to the last used app.
    • Live tiles shows the clock instead of the timer that is running.
    • In title of notes, can't shift select whole line with trackpad up/down motion.
    • On screen paste square keeps popping up even though I've already pasted.

I'm not seeing the UPGRADED in efficiency except for overall hardware.
    What OS do you currently have loaded in there.

Supporting the perplexed struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    12-20-14 12:24 PM
    It's like having a 1995 Corolla and buying a 2014 Lexus and complaining that the knobs, mirrors, and seat aren't in exactly the same place. You need to adjust and it will take a few days to feel comfortable in the seat and then you'll wonder why you didn't upgrade sooner.
    But why? A Lexus is just an overpriced Toyota. Get a Toyota Camry with all of the upgraded options and you have a Lexus for cheaper. The only thing Lexus has is their gaps are always perfect. (the space between body panels)

Edit: Oh, but I agree with the point of the post, lol.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    2c and Soul_Est like this.
    12-20-14 12:27 PM
    I understand the analogy, but I disagree. The Curve may have been Corolla-like in terms of hardware, but with OS 7 it was Corolla on the outside and Lexus on the inside. OS 7 had very high levels of functionality, and so the OP's old Curve was like a Corolla with heated power seats, a/c, telescopic steering, etc., etc. I'm sure you get my point.

So now he buys a ... Lexus. Kind of. Except it's Corolla-ish on the inside. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles he's accustomed to having (although it's getting there, slowly). Check out Kevin's comments on email 'triage' which BlackBerry is trying to address. At this point, OP has a Lexus and every once in a while, the manufacturer adds in the luxury functionality that he expected to be there already (umm, Mr. OP? Your air conditioning is ready now.... Sorry it took 2 years).

3_M4N and edwinsberry like this.
    12-20-14 02:16 PM
137 123 ...