Although they look identical, I read the fine print and seems the Passport charger is 1300 mA and Classic charger is 850. Any ideas why different? My understanding is it is safe to use a higher powered charger on most blackberry devices, such as the 2100 mA Playbook/"Premium" charger, so why ship the classic with an 850 mA charger?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 03:26 AM
    One word. Cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 03:36 AM
    I guess. Just seems ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 03:44 AM
    These are the things about BlackBerry I hate and about Apple I admire. An 850mAh charger will charge the phone real slow. Like atleast 2.5 hours. BlackBerry can easily ship it with a higher capacity charger but no, they chose otherwise. Why, nobody knows. They really are compromising in the process of cutting costs. Thats never good.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    12-22-14 03:44 AM
    It really is safe to charge your device with a higher output rating, but over time, it will have an impact on your battery's life. Batteries can wear faster than normal if not charged using its specified charger. You will not notice this instantly, though.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    12-22-14 03:59 AM
    Good place to find out more about this stuff regarding batteries and chargers etc. is batteryuniversity.com
    12-22-14 05:32 AM
    I've been using my playbook charger for my Q. Does that mean I shouldn't? Helluva lot faster.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 08:28 AM
    I've been using my playbook charger for my Q. Does that mean I shouldn't? Helluva lot faster.

Posted via CB10
    You can put a new battery in the Q10 if the fast charging affects it over time. The Q10 Batteries can be found pretty cheap, so I wouldn't worry about using a faster charger.

It is not practical to change a battery with the Classic. I would use the regular charger most of the time, especially over night when there is no rush. Save the faster chargers for when you really need the phone charged quickly.
    ronfc likes this.
    12-22-14 08:32 AM
    These are the things about BlackBerry I hate and about Apple I admire. An 850mAh charger will charge the phone real slow. Like atleast 2.5 hours. BlackBerry can easily ship it with a higher capacity charger but no, they chose otherwise. Why, nobody knows. They really are compromising in the process of cutting costs. Thats never good.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    Considering that I sleep longer than 2.5 hours, I welcome the slow charge. Slower charge means less heat, at least when plugged in, heard from some that wireless charging does cause more heat.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-22-14 04:15 PM
    I used a rapid charger. I keep my phone in a cool place so there's no additional heat with using it.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 04:18 PM
    Considering that I sleep longer than 2.5 hours, I welcome the slow charge. Slower charge means less heat, at least when plugged in, heard from some that wireless charging does cause more heat.

I hate to over charge my phone so I almost never put my phone on charge while going to bed because I sleep minimum 8 hours. I am not sure what good will the extra 5.5 hours do.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    12-22-14 10:21 PM
    I hate to over charge my phone so I almost never put my phone on charge while going to bed because I sleep minimum 8 hours. I am not sure what good will the extra 5.5 hours do.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    This isn't 1995, it knows when it's at 100% and it'll drop to just a trickle charge, which is actually good for simply maintaining the battery...
    VeryBumpy and Vintage123 like this.
    12-22-14 10:23 PM
    It really is safe to charge your device with a higher output rating, but over time, it will have an impact on your battery's life. Batteries can wear faster than normal if not charged using its specified charger. You will not notice this instantly, though.

I never thought of this, but this is probably correct. I've been using my playbook charger to charge my 9700 overnight when there really was no need to rapid charge. I won't be doing that with the classic. As someone said rapid charge only when necessary.
    12-22-14 10:24 PM

This is exactly the point. If you won't notice this instantly, not even 2 to 3 years later, when you're already eyeing the next phone (heck, some people replace phones every 6 months). Then why not just ship a charger that had a higher output? No need to be over cautious on this BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 12:08 AM
    Both the 1810 mAh iPhone 6 and the 2915 mAh iPhone 6 Plus come with the same 1A charger.

Carry on.
    12-23-14 12:33 AM
    Both the 1810 mAh iPhone 6 and the 2915 mAh iPhone 6 Plus come with the same 1A charger.

Carry on.
    But iOS is more efficient than BB10. So it does still charge faster. Not only does it have a higher rated charger than most BB10 phones but also a more efficient OS. Also the smaller battery helps in saving time

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    12-23-14 05:16 AM
    But iOS is more efficient than BB10. So it does still charge faster. Not only does it have a higher rated charger than most BB10 phones but also a more efficient OS. Also the smaller battery helps in saving time
    Oh boy..
    raino and ponpiri like this.
    12-23-14 09:37 AM

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    Omg... my iphone, when charges with original charger that comes with it, charge alot slower than my q5, with genuine charger too. And also, lets just make things clear: higher amperage will not do any harm to your device as it is designed to withstand the proper maximum amperage and voltage, and will only consume up to that point. So a 2a charger when use with ipad will produce a current of 2a, as the maximum amperage of ipad is 2, but when used to charge my q5 for example, as maximum for q5 is about 1.5 ( I have tested), the charger only produces 1.5. Hence, less work for charger. However, this means more heat to device, as it will have to withstand the current at its limit. so basically the reason why people shouldnt use higher amperage level charge is the heat, which can badly affect the battery and micro chips inside

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 09:53 AM
    Oh boy..
    Sorry did I say something wrong?

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    12-23-14 10:44 AM
    Omg... my iphone, when charges with original charger that comes with it, charge alot slower than my q5, with genuine charger too. And also, lets just make things clear: higher amperage will not do any harm to your device as it is designed to withstand the proper maximum amperage and voltage, and will only consume up to that point. So a 2a charger when use with ipad will produce a current of 2a, as the maximum amperage of ipad is 2, but when used to charge my q5 for example, as maximum for q5 is about 1.5 ( I have tested), the charger only produces 1.5. Hence, less work for charger. However, this means more heat to device, as it will have to withstand the current at its limit. so basically the reason why people shouldnt use higher amperage level charge is the heat, which can badly affect the battery and micro chips inside

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your info. But untill now in my experience, iPhones have charged faster than my BB10 phone. Though their batteries drain faster also

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    12-23-14 10:45 AM
    Well, I've been charging my Q10 with a playbook high power 1.8A charger every night for 15 months and my battery lasts as long now on a single charge as it ever did, so I'm guessing the charging technology used in 2014 is advanced enough to not affect the useful life of the battery by any discernible amount. BB is just being cheap with the 850mah charger for the Classic.
    12-23-14 10:52 AM

This use to be true with older technology but lithium ion polymer actually works better at the molecular level using a higher output trickle charger. All current devices have batteries equipped with microchips which will control the charge whatever the output or amperage. I've used a 2.1 amperage Ventev dual charger since day one and I've NEVER had my device get warm hot or otherwise!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android side loaded on the Passport!
    12-23-14 12:05 PM
    OK, I'll bite.

But iOS is more efficient than BB10. So it does still charge faster.
    Please show a source documenting this. Not anecdotal evidence, or what you "think" happens, but quantified and reproducible results about how iOS is more "efficient," especially when it comes to charging.
    12-23-14 12:20 PM
    OK, I'll bite.

Please show a source documenting this. Not anecdotal evidence, or what you "think" happens, but quantified and reproducible results about how iOS is more "efficient," especially when it comes to charging.
    Sorry I am just saying what I have seen on many numerous occasions and different iPhone models. It's absolutely upto you not to believe it.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    12-23-14 12:32 PM
    OK, I'll bite.

Come on, Apple is better at everything, didn't you know??

12-23-14 12:45 PM
35 12