I got my Classic.... I used the current charge on the battery till it turned off.... I went to charge it overnight while the device was turned off.... Noticed the yellow light didn't come on but left it anyways....

Turned the device on and no charge....

Any suggestions? Can't you charge the device without having to leave it on?
    12-21-14 11:07 AM
    When you plug the charging cable into the device to charge it while it's off, it will give you an indication that it's charging via the LED. If it didn't do that, then you should check your connections and ensure your charger is working. Another thing you can try if it still doesn't charge is to plug it into your computer's USB and check if it charges; this will tell you if your wall adaptor isn't working.
    12-21-14 11:13 AM
    When you plug the cable in and you've tested it, the device turns on automatically.... Is there a way for the device to just stay off while charging as soon as it is plugged in?
    12-21-14 11:19 AM
    I got my Classic.... I used the current charge on the battery till it turned off.... I went to charge it overnight while the device was turned off.... Noticed the yellow light didn't come on but left it anyways....

Turned the device on and no charge....

Any suggestions? Can't you charge the device without having to leave it on?
    I had the same problem. Tonight, my phone died, so I plugged it in and continued using it, but then I decided that I've played enough and I shut it off to charge over night. I waited, watched it, noticed that it didn't look like it was charging (no lightning bolt appeared, no yellow flash charging light). So I unplugged it, and plugged it back in (while the phone was still off), and it started visibly charging. Very odd indeed!
    12-21-14 09:22 PM
    Hi. I have the same problem with my Classic. When the phone is switched off, it doesnt charge. It charges only when switched on. Very anoying.
    12-22-14 11:27 AM
    Hi. I have the same problem with my Classic. When the phone is switched off, it doesnt charge. It charges only when switched on. Very anoying.
    I'm actually still having this problem. Has anyone found a solution? I like to give my phone a break and turn it off at night, but tonight I wasn't able to get it to charge while the phone is off. I know that the charger works, because it is charging when the phone is on.

Any suggestions? It is very annoying not being able to shut your phone off, plug it in, and have it charge without a second though.
    sedalia066 likes this.
    12-23-14 09:54 PM
    Noticed the same thing. The reason is that it detects if you use a Blackberry branded charger, otherwise it doesn't charge. Crazy indeed. Apply style control.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 09:58 PM
    Thank you all of you. I raised this problem earlier on the leaked 10.3.1 release where the phones (Q10,z30, ) could not charge when switched off.
    So I now think it's all about software

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 11:29 PM
    Maybe you can try this method; plug your phone in and turn your phone off and the yellow flash charging light will light up.

Sent from my Z30
    12-24-14 12:07 AM
    Mine doesn't charge when turned off either. Tried plugging it in when turned on then turning it off and it still doesn't charge.
    12-24-14 12:49 AM
    Mine doesn't have any problem yet
    12-24-14 12:53 AM
    Problem solved.

When the phone is off you have to attach the USB in one smooth action. If you hesitate, for some reason it won't connect when the phone is off. I guess it's a bit finicky.
    12-24-14 01:19 PM
    My phone battery is dead and now I can't charge it. So in sending it back. What else can I do.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 04:06 PM
    My phone battery is dead and now I can't charge it. So in sending it back. What else can I do.
    Posted via CB10
    That's disturbing.
    I have mine and haven't set it up yet, but decided to just full charge it until I do, but when I plugged it in, nothing. I assumed it was happening because I haven't set it up yet, but now I'm not so sure.
    I'll try again later when I'm back, but hopefully it doesn't die and can't charge. I don't live in the US, so returns would be a major hassle.
    I was apprehensive about setting up without the sim, but maybe I should to just make sure it works.
    12-24-14 04:37 PM
    Why do people turn their phones off? Stop doing that (turn off all alerts instead). The device manager works best if it can track your charging rates and habits.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 04:40 PM
    Hope this adds to the information thread: i have numerous charging plugs that 'fit' into my various BlackBerry devices, but not all actually charge the devices! My BlackBerry use goes back to the 7700, now on Z10, waiting for Classic to be delivered. Each old charging plug has a different output: my old Bold 9700 plug is 700mA, while my Z10 is 750mA. Also, I've noticed my BlackBerry car charging device plug doesn't fit well in the Z10 any more, so I found an old car charger that works. Glad I kept some of these things around! You need to use the charger provided or one with at least the same amount of output or more to properly charge. At night, invoke bedside mode while charging.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 07:43 PM
    I finished the setup, locked off the phone, plugged in the charger and it proceeded to charge, so no problem with my device.
    12-24-14 10:15 PM
    I think my problem was that Skype froze the phone, now I deleted Skype so hopefully the problem is solved

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 07:33 AM
    Hope this adds to the information thread: i have numerous charging plugs that 'fit' into my various BlackBerry devices, but not all actually charge the devices! My BlackBerry use goes back to the 7700, now on Z10, waiting for Classic to be delivered. Each old charging plug has a different output: my old Bold 9700 plug is 700mA, while my Z10 is 750mA. Also, I've noticed my BlackBerry car charging device plug doesn't fit well in the Z10 any more, so I found an old car charger that works. Glad I kept some of these things around! You need to use the charger provided or one with at least the same amount of output or more to properly charge. At night, invoke bedside mode while charging.

Posted via CB10
    I am using the charger provided. That is why the problem is so curious. I don't sleep with my phone by side anyways, so it doesn't matter if it is on or not. Isn't it healthy to shut your phone off?

I finished the setup, locked off the phone, plugged in the charger and it proceeded to charge, so no problem with my device.
    Locked off the phone? I'm not sure what this means. Did you turn it off? My phone doesn't seem to charge when the phone is off. It charges fine when it is on, that isn't the problem.
    12-25-14 04:44 PM
    There is definitelly a bug in the OS or in the hardware of Classic. I wrote already about it on the BlackBerry Support Forum. Many people have this problem. The biggest issue is, that when the Classic is off, it sometimes charges and sometimes not. There is no solution for this issue, reset, wiping the device, nothing helps, I tried everything.. When you run the battery full out, it can happen, that you will never be able to switch your phone on because you cannot charge it. Very danger and stupid bug.
    12-26-14 05:38 AM
    phone does not charge when phone off..for me as well
    12-26-14 06:31 AM
    Why do people turn their phones off? Stop doing that (turn off all alerts instead). The device manager works best if it can track your charging rates and habits.

Posted via CB10
    maybe not to ware it down too fast...
    12-26-14 06:38 AM
    Each BB10 device charges when powered off. The Classic as well, but only sometimes
    12-26-14 02:20 PM
    Noticed the same thing. The reason is that it detects if you use a Blackberry branded charger, otherwise it doesn't charge. Crazy indeed. Apply style control.

Posted via CB10
    I'm using the charger that came with my Classic and it does not charge when the phone is turned off...nor with USB cable attached to computer.
    12-26-14 05:35 PM
    I'm using the charger that came with my Classic and it does not charge when the phone is turned off...nor with USB cable attached to computer.
    that's right
    12-26-14 05:42 PM
37 12