Called a Rogers store and they said they have 6 units. They said they won't sell me one cause I'm not a customer( I'm with Fido same thing big deal).

U suck Rogers!!
    12-18-14 05:17 PM
    Rogers has been doing that recently. The corporate stores refuse to sell phones unless you're an existing or new customer. But if you try a Rogers Authorized Dealer, you should be able to buy one.
    12-18-14 05:20 PM
    Rogers has been doing that recently. The corporate stores refuse to sell phones unless you're an existing or new customer. But if you try a Rogers Authorized Dealer, you should be able to buy one.
    ACTUALLY all canadian providers have been doing this recently despite CRTC rulings stating that you can buy full price/outright and request to unlock. When the PP was announced and the devices started appearing at dealers,chains and Corp stores NOONE I spoke to was willing to sell me one at full price outright and indicated I needed to activate on a new line!

It really was a joke! Despite the CRTC law it is not enforced!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 12-18-14 at 11:02 PM.
    12-18-14 08:39 PM
    ACTUALLY all canadian provides have been doing this recently despite CRTC rulings stating that you can buy and request to unlock. When the PP was announced and the devices started appearing at dealers,chains and Corp stores NOONE I spoke was willing to sell me one at full price and indicated I needed to activate on a new line!

It really was a joke! Despite the CRTC law it is not enforced!

Posted via CB10
    The "law" also says they only have to unlock after 90 days.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-18-14 08:45 PM
    Where's this store, I'm a customer and would like to buy one
    12-18-14 08:53 PM
    Anyone successfully getting one outright please post here. Some will sell some won't. It is always that way at launch.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 10:01 PM
    Go to a different store

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-18-14 10:28 PM
    I bought mine off Amazon... overnighted and it came the next day... loving this thing!!!!
    12-18-14 10:54 PM
    The "law" also says they only have to unlock after 90 days.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    Not if you buy outright,you can unlock immediately!?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:03 PM
    Find a friend that has a Rogers account and have him buy it outright. Also, phone is unlocked for Fido, no need to spend extra (just make sure you insert a Fido sim card first!).
    bbuser_5150 likes this.
    12-18-14 11:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    While the law states that the carrier must unlock a phone (if bought outright) upon request, they are not actually obligated to sell a device outright in the first place. Forcing a carrier to sell a phone outright is not part of this legislation.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-19-14 04:58 AM
    Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 05:01 AM
    I bought my Classic from Bell yesterday on Pay & Talk. Even though my provider is Telus. My plan was to unlock it. I put my sim in, it worked. The unit Bell sold me was already unlocked. I love this phone

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 05:22 AM
    A few telus stores are allowing the sale.

For anyone in BC you can try Telus at Guildford mall Surrey near the food court, they have been good with selling outright even with the passport.

and Rogers on Edmonds and Kingsway in Burnaby has been good with selling off contract before and had a couple stock last evening.

Good luck
    12-19-14 05:28 AM
    cellphonejunkey is right,

If you buy outright they are supposed to agree to unlock it, no need to wait 90 days.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 05:30 AM
    I have had issues with virgin refusing to sell me a classic outright without them opening and activating the phone. I want o but the phone and open and activate it myself !

Anyways, have talked to virgin corporate three times and they have confirmed the stores can sell it to me without activation and the next time to just call corporate when at a store so they can 'educate' the employee.

Now not sure if I should go classic or try the passport again.

Carriers can really tick me off.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 11:07 AM
    St. Catharines Pen Centre. Manager was a real "treat" to deal with too.

Anyway...was in Toronto yesterday at the dentist. Called a few Rogers stores while I was there and voila...now I have my classic. They didn't seem to have a problem selling me one. I didn't want it for free lol

Awesome btw!!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 12:10 PM
    St. Catharines Pen Centre. Ya and the manager was a real treat to deal with too.

Was in Toronto yesterday for a dentist appointment and called a few Rogers stores. The 10 Dundas location had one and didn't have a problem selling me one. Lol I guess every Rogers store has their own policy.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 12:15 PM
    cellphonejunkey is right,

If you buy outright they are supposed to agree to unlock it, no need to wait 90 days.
    Yes but they can still charge you a fee. Same with the unlocking after 90 days, they are allowed to charge a fee.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 12:55 PM
    From what I gathered it's the Rogers Plus stores that don't have the issue in selling devices outright. The 10 Dundas location is a plus. I think the plus stores are corporate. Anyway...very frustrating and stupid if u ask me.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 05:49 PM
    Virgin is my service provider (month to month). I cannot buy a Classic from them.. and don't want to risk the $500 buying it online from Blackberry without a conversation with an informed 3rd party. I am astounded you can't consult with Blackberry to discuss best fit for my needs. Meanwhile, unless I change plans or providers, it's not obvious how I can comfortable make an outright purchase.

strange way to run a business...
    04-14-15 10:07 AM
    Wow this is just downright terrible business! In the states you will be sold any amount of devices you want no matter if you are a current customer or net new.

Just snagged my Classic on an upgrade through VZW and loving it!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 10:15 AM
    Would be better to get of Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 11:12 AM
    I was able to purchase my BlackBerry Classic outright from a TELUS dealer with no issues and didn't have to provide any account information (even though I do use it on TELUS).

The reason why stores are doing this is because it has an effect on their commission. They still make more when you activate the device on a new line or as an upgrade to an existing line versus just letting you purchase the device and not activate it. I know that Rogers used to charge an additional $50 over and above their "month to month" pricing listed on their website if you wanted to buy it outright and not activate it, not sure when this had changed.

A few things that you can do here -- purchase the device at the outright cost, and activate it on a prepaid account, doesn't matter if it's new or an existing one. Even though they don't make anything off of it, this still gets around the issue of them saying the device needs to be activated before you can leave with it. Otherwise, your best bet if you don't want to have to hunt around for a store willing to sell you one would be to purchase from Amazon or ShopBlackBerry.com.
    04-14-15 11:28 AM
    The title is misleading. You can surely buy a Classic, you just have to select the proper channel.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 11:35 AM
27 12