I have an otherwise perfect Classic (2 weeks old) with the creaky, slightly less key travel than other keys space bar. Took it back to my dealer, and after being seen by no less than 3 techs, was told it couldn't be submitted for repair/replacement as the spacebar clearly works.

Anyway, I'm neither fussed or surprised. Everyone was quite accommodating, but as glass tappers it was an impossible issue to obtain the empathy. I think Blackberry service support in Australia is beyond non existent.

To my question. It's not worth the time to have another try with a fault submission and I cannot seem to find the information online as to how a Classic has it's keyboard replaced. Lots of pulling apart but not the keys.

I can source a replacement keyboard no problem if need be should I botch it. I'm just sketchy if they ever fix this hardware. Plenty of Q10 repairers but not so the Classic.

I have an inkling to pry off the spacebar gently, hoping it will pop off so I can address what probably is a bad application of glue. In reading other posts, a few users have had their keys fall off, so hence the germ of my idea.

Thoughts of encouragement or let the charm of it not being perfect win me over? I've always been ok with the odd quirk. I used to pull apart my Psion 5mx which is probably part of my interest in trying versus the reality of whether its a practical.

 Classic via CB
    09-06-15 12:19 AM
    I would advise firmly against prying up the spacebar. Take a look on YouTube for the proper way to replace the keyboard, you will have far less risk in damaging your phone.
    09-06-15 12:48 AM
    I would advise firmly against prying up the spacebar. Take a look on YouTube for the proper way to replace the keyboard, you will have far less risk in damaging your phone.
    Noted I did watch all of them I think, but they only show after removing the bottom plastic lip, unscrew the bottom screws and then I never see the keyboard getting detached. Strange! I was hoping to see it was a simple transplant but can't tell how embedded it is to be removed without pulling apart the chassis.

 Classic via CB
    09-06-15 01:08 AM
    So what happens after you take the spacebar out and you no longer have a space key? Do you take it back and say it fell off? Just wondering how far ahead you thought this through. If you have a warranty I'd say go for it as long as you can make it believable that you didn't inflict intentional harm to your phone voiding the warranty.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-06-15 01:17 AM
    Don't remove just the space bar or keys from the keyboard. Each key is glued or fixed to the keyboard. When remove the old key and glue in the replacement, the new glue harden up and make it feel harder when pressing the new key.
    But I must say that is from my experience with and OS 6 BlackBerry. However I believe that the keyboards are made in the same way.

Posted from my Passport
    09-06-15 01:24 AM
    Just wondering how far ahead you thought this through. If you have a warranty I'd say go for it as long as you can make it believable that you didn't inflict intentional harm to your phone voiding the warranty.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    I'm moving to Japan in a few months so have no warranty options there, hence why I'm ok with taking a punt. Also have a Passport and a Q10 so have backup devices.

Don't remove just the space bar or keys from the keyboard. Each key is glued or fixed to the keyboard. When remove the old key and glue in the replacement, the new glue harden up and make it feel harder when pressing the new key.

Posted from my Passport
    Thanks for that detail. A few users have mentioned glue not being applied well, hence the loose keys.

Hopefully someone knows of a picture thread or video of the Classic keyboard replacement.

 Classic via CB
    09-06-15 01:43 AM