I know it's probably a long shot, but I wondered if they still made phones with this functionality. I remember about 15 years ago when people could trade files between laptops without the aid of an Internet connection just by sitting across from each other and 'beaming' the contents. Of course then memory sticks were still wildly expensive.

But Blackberry is sort of known for keeping one foot in the past, and none moreso is that represented than in the embodiment of the Classic. I just wondered if it has Infra-red built in somewhere?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by One Brain Cell; 06-01-15 at 02:33 PM.
    06-01-15 01:37 PM
    What's wrong with bluetooth? No phone or computer out there supports infrared.. although I read somewhere that infrared might be making a comeback in mobile soon. Sadly I don't remember the reasoning of the author..

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 01:42 PM
    No.

NFC is a far superior method of doing what you're asking about, in every way.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 01:43 PM
    What's wrong with bluetooth? No phone or computer out there supports infrared.. although I read somewhere that infrared might be making a comeback in mobile soon. Sadly I don't remember the reasoning of the author..

Posted via CB10
    Untrue. There are some HTC and LG phones with an IR-Blaster, but not used for files, but as an universal remote control.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Best-...-needs_id53802
    06-01-15 01:43 PM
    Ok, thanks for the replies. I was wondering if I could get the phone to transfer files with an old Psion MX device (made around 1998), which is a really nice bit of kit, but a pain to get it to talk to anything these days.
    06-01-15 02:32 PM
    IR ports went the way of the dinosaur. Transfers were slow and easily interrupted. Bluetooth is fast, works over longer distances, and is more reliable. The last phone I had that did IR transfers was a Palm Treo 680. One upon a time the Palm Treo phones were the bee's knees. Then I found a better way to do everything (except play Dope Wars): BlackBerry.
    06-01-15 03:27 PM
    It's a throwback, but not that far of a throwback...
    06-01-15 03:38 PM
    I used to see groups of people crowded together on the trading floor, beaming schedules to each other. We called it the "circle jerk" formation.
    06-01-15 04:52 PM
    Wow, Dope Wars... I haven't heard anyone make reference to that for years! Yes, I was barking up the wrong tree with the Infra-red question, but at least I know now. It was a bit of a last ditch attempt at an idea before giving up and moving the Psion on. I bought it about three years ago but it never really took off as a portable writing tool because of the hassle of transferring files. In a sense the Classic will be able to fill that position, especially when I get a decent writing app for it, for which I'm thinking of 'Writer' if anyone owns or uses that... its an ultra-minimal mini word processor, nothing on the classic screen but your words (and a word count in the bottom-right corner).

What's really cool about it is the option to change the background and font colours; in this case I want a black background with green text just for the fun of replicating the old green screen monitors. That and the fact that I like dark themes on any of my apps that support it. It would be great if the Hub had a dark theme.
    06-01-15 05:09 PM
    I was hoping BlackBerry would bring back themes and changeable fonts but I'm afraid they have run out of time for such frivolities. I loved the old fashioned unix terminal look.
    Attached Thumbnails Can the classic do Infra red file transfer?-screen-shot-2015-06-01-7.42.08-pm.png  
    06-01-15 06:43 PM
    I was hoping BlackBerry would bring back themes and changeable fonts but I'm afraid they have run out of time for such frivolities. I loved the old fashioned unix terminal look.
    I thought that with the purchase of TAT, they were going to take themes to the next level, but it seems they've done the opposite. I do hope that's something they bring back eventually.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible Classic! 
    06-02-15 09:29 PM
    Try the microsoft app "OneNote", really good writing app

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 02:50 AM
    I didn't think One Note existed for Blackberry, I searched for it a few weeks ago as I used to use it on my old phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 03:05 AM
    You can find it in Snap!

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 02:11 PM