Is there a way to more easily focus the camera? When I want to focus on something relatively close, the camera will focus properly for a moment before settling on blurry mess. As a DSLR user, I consider all phone cameras toys with a few good performers, so maybe I'm asking too much.
    I don't suppose the camera APIs are open to developers either so there will be no "Manual Camera" type application.

Posted w/ BlackBerry Classic
    10-22-16 06:31 PM
    Are you holding the camera button? Holding the camera button will trigger an auto focus routine. When it's done it should be clear, then you can release the button to take the shot.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 07:09 PM
    Thanks, that worked reasonable well. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but it is working better now.

10-23-16 08:54 AM
    Is there a way to more easily focus the camera? When I want to focus on something relatively close, the camera will focus properly for a moment before settling on blurry mess. As a DSLR user, I consider all phone cameras toys with a few good performers, so maybe I'm asking too much.
    I don't suppose the camera APIs are open to developers either so there will be no "Manual Camera" type application.

Actually there are few apps with manual controls, like Camera++

Posted via CB10
    10-24-16 07:11 AM
    I didn't know that. When I briefly looked a few weeks ago, I didn't see anything worthwhile, so I'll check again.

10-26-16 11:18 PM
    As keyboardweeb point it out, holding the touch shutter button will trigger the focus routine. Releasing the button will automatically take the shot. But if you do not want the shot to be taken but rather changing the subject or the focus, you must slide your finger on the screen, away from the button and only after that, release it. The nice thing here is that holding the touch camera button will act also as AE/AF lock (on dslr cameras), the same as holding directly your finger on your screen (and the lock sign appears). So you can lock focus/exposure and than recompose your scene. Sometimes you can have real nice results.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 01:14 PM
    I hope i would not encounter any focus problems. 7 month old classic.

Pinoy Whiteberry Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    10-28-16 06:24 AM
    +1 on Camera++. I find that the app's auto-focus is pretty good, but like all auto-focus functions tends to zero-in on the brightest element of the subject. Manual focus is great--just zoom in on a detail, pull focus, and zoom out to frame. Resolution settings are nice, manual exposure settings are great, and image-stabilizing is okay. I find that the app will hang on occasion, but a simple quit/restart sorts it out.
    Last edited by odinwoden; 11-04-16 at 12:15 AM.
    11-03-16 01:26 AM
    Touch the screen on the object you want to focus on, then quickly take the picture before the thing changes its mind. I am also annoyed by this.
    11-06-16 06:33 AM
    Touch the screen on the object you want to focus on, then quickly take the picture before the thing changes its mind. I am also annoyed by this.
    Thanks for that tip. I tried that a few times, but I was never fast enough, so I thought that was impossible. I'll add it to my "Coping with Classic Camera Tactics Handbook",lol.

11-06-16 07:41 PM
    Thanks for that tip. I tried that a few times, but I was never fast enough, so I thought that was impossible. I'll add it to my "Coping with Classic Camera Tactics Handbook",lol.

Yah, unfortunately the Classic doesn't have phase detection so it never knows which way to focus, and I also hate when it goes right past it without knowing it...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-07-16 08:54 AM

Takes me several tries. If the scene is not important, such as taking pictures of part numbers, I find it helps if you aim the camera so the view is as full of foreground objects as possible and less likely to try to focus on something behind the subject.
    11-13-16 07:28 AM