I noticed I don't have this issue with my Z30 nor do I recall having this issue with my Z10. This isn't really a "how do I fix this" thread or anything, just more of an informational post.

I was out with Sonja last night seeing a Christmas light display and decided to take a few snap shots. These were the results.

The last image I can agree isn't necessarily poorly focused as much as the exposure was long and my hands weren't as steady as they needed to be. The first two, at least in my opinion, have a pretty clear focusing issue for some reason. My Z30 doesn't choke on those kinds of photos and I don't recall my Z10 having the same issue, either. In normal lighting, things seem okay.
    Last edited by John Crist; 12-27-14 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Fixed attachments.
    12-27-14 10:56 PM
    can't see the 3 first attachments..the last pic seems good to me
    12-27-14 11:25 PM
    can't see the 3 first attachments..the last pic seems good to me
    Fixed, sorry
    12-27-14 11:32 PM
    Did you remove the plastic shipping film on the camera lens?

Aside from that, the camera takes forever to focus for me too.
    12-28-14 09:42 PM
    Looks like common issue on all 10.3.x builds, very noticeable on Z10. I take pictures of text documents every day and run OCR after. It's a big pain to take a clear shot with 10.3.x camera app. It's one of the main reasons for me to roll back to 10.2.x OS.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    12-29-14 01:21 AM
    Did you use night mode for taking those photos without tripod?
    12-29-14 09:58 AM
    It seems to be a common problem with 10.3.x builds I am afraid. My Passport's focus ain't the best or fastest either, to say the least. My Q10 never was a champ either in these regards, yet the Passport on 10.3 manages to top it in a negative way. Wouldn't be surprised the Classic also has similar issues.

I heard somewhere that a yet-to-be-released leak of 10.3.1 improves the autofocus.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:24 PM
    Who's Sonja?

Posted from my Square Monstrosity!
    12-29-14 12:26 PM
    Who's Sonja?
    The one who is causing general focus issues, I guess...
    Bratza likes this.
    12-29-14 01:52 PM
    The one who is causing general focus issues, I guess...
    Pictures!

Xenolock likes this.
    12-29-14 04:17 PM
    The best way to have picture focused is to hold the camera button in. It adjust then letting go takes the picture. That's the only way I get a decent picture with the focusing issues.

Posted via CB10
    VeryBumpy and Blacklatino like this.
    12-29-14 05:02 PM
    The best way to have picture focused is to hold the camera button in. It adjust then letting go takes the picture. That's the only way I get a decent picture with the focusing issues.

Posted via CB10
    Wow I didnt even know about this. Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 08:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Thank u! Wow. No idea.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    12-29-14 09:54 PM
    Redacted for privacy.
    Attached Thumbnails Camera Focusing Issues-2014-11-21.jpg   Camera Focusing Issues-img_43123755145799.jpeg  
    Last edited by John Crist; 01-01-15 at 02:55 AM.
    12-29-14 11:29 PM
    On a more serious note, I know there's a new leak for the Classic. I'm going to load it tomorrow and see if it's improved at all. I was in Night mode but I didn't know about holding in the camera button for a better focus. I always just tapped the screen and let it focus on that spot.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 11:32 PM
    On a more serious note, I know there's a new leak for the Classic. I'm going to load it tomorrow and see if it's improved at all. I was in Night mode but I didn't know about holding in the camera button for a better focus. I always just tapped the screen and let it focus on that spot.

Posted via CB10
    The new .1949 leak is the one which should improve the autofocus situation, would be great if you could provide some further feedback once you decided to load the leak.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 12:03 AM
    I'm going to load it up tomorrow and do comparison shots. Fear not

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 01:05 AM
    Hello Sonja!

I see where you're coming from. I'm facing the same issue with focusing and it really grinds my gears when I want to make a picture real quick. I don't remember what OS my passport was loaded with when I got it, but I'm having the issue on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418. Hope it turns out to be software related. I'm looking forward to your findings with the latest leak on your Classic as mine is arriving mid-January.

Thanks for the laugh btw!

12-30-14 02:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, before and after comparison would be much appreciated. And not only with camera, with the whole OS.

Aside, I've found that using Action mode seems to increase the screen frame rate and also reduce focus time.
    12-30-14 07:17 AM
    What I've noticed so far is that the camera starts faster. I'll have to wait until tonight to effectively take some low-light shots, but daytime shots don't appear to be focusing any faster. We'll see if it focuses more reliably, though.

Other changes that jump out include Toast notifications that say "open" and "close", which I don't understand considering you could always just touch them to open them or hit the X to close them. The swipe to wake bug is fixed, you only have to swipe once. Autocorrect is still borked on my Classic. The Device Manager is definitely improved, and will hopefully show accurate info now :P And the calendar also shows how many events are in a day instead of just showing the little bars when in month view.

I'll post more updates as I go.
    12-30-14 10:31 AM
    The new .1949 leak is the one which should improve the autofocus situation, would be great if you could provide some further feedback once you decided to load the leak.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I noticed some difference in the pics with 10.3.1.1949. However. I don't take many pics and didn't take many with the last leak- 10.3.1.1154 to know if better/worse. LOL. Just a disclaimer for others that like to debate whether there are actually clouds in the sky as you look out the window.

Really....CTFD! Sent from my Z30 on .1949 w/ Tap-a-Talk. (*_~)
    01-01-15 01:45 PM
    FYI...the leak is fantastic, I loaded lot on my Classic yesterday

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 01:59 PM
    Been having all kinds of camera issues. Freezes alot- I mean like every time I use it. Can't delete pics. If I change settings it almost always freezes up at some point in the settings and I invariably have to close down and re-open the app. In doing so, you lose everything.

I often take pics and then they never show up anywhere. The phone looks and sounds like it's taking the pic- but that's it. No pic and no preview. No idea where it went.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 02:15 PM
    Been having all kinds of camera issues. Freezes alot- I mean like every time I use it. Can't delete pics. If I change settings it almost always freezes up at some point in the settings and I invariably have to close down and re-open the app. In doing so, you lose everything.

I often take pics and then they never show up anywhere. The phone looks and sounds like it's taking the pic- but that's it. No pic and no preview. No idea where it went.

Posted via CB10
    Well something is clearly not right there have you ever tried a hardreset using the volume rockers? If that doesn't work, I'd try to reload the whole OS from scratch using BlackBerry Link. Changing any camera settings is pretty sluggish even on my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 02:29 PM
    How do you do that hard reset with the. Volume rockers? Will try it.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 05:05 PM
26 12