Build quality differences based on manufacture date-img_20151223_143115.jpg
    Build quality differences based on manufacture date-img_20151223_141411.jpg

Attached here are a couple shots. The Classic on the left was made in February of 2015, the one on the right was made later in the year. Notice the older model has a more yellow (warmer) shade to its whites. The newer one has a brighter keyboard and a more pleasing shade of white, despite the colour temperature being neutral for both devices. The shiny little BlackBerry bullets are also different on the back. The older unit's bullets are completely flat; whereas, the newer one's bullets have a beveled edge to them, giving them a more three-dimensional appearance.

Interesting how the little nuances in manufacturing change with time.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-15 12:02 AM
    OP - and do you notice any difference in the keyboard and toolbelt?

With respect to how they feel when typing etc

Posted via CB10
    12-25-15 07:49 AM
    That is interesting! Have had my Classic since Jan 2015. I have no idea where to find the manufacturing date.. haha. My Classic looks to be similar to the right, brighter kb and screen is normal, not the yellow hue. Oh now u mention the BlackBerry bullets on the back, mine is flushed with the back and still as shiny as ever haha.

 Blackberryist 
    12-25-15 03:35 PM
    That is interesting! Have had my Classic since Jan 2015. I have no idea where to find the manufacturing date.. haha. My Classic looks to be similar to the right, brighter kb and screen is normal, not the yellow hue. Oh now u mention the BlackBerry bullets on the back, mine is flushed with the back and still as shiny as ever haha.

 Blackberryist 
    Just found out the MD - 26/12/14 made In China for UK.

 Blackberryist 
    12-25-15 04:07 PM
    Just found out the MD - 26/12/14 made In China for UK.

 Blackberryist 
    Where is it?

Posted via CB10
    12-25-15 05:22 PM
    Where is it?

Posted via CB10
    I think it's the numbers above the "made in china" wording at the back of the box.

 Blackberryist 
    12-25-15 08:10 PM
    OP - and do you notice any difference in the keyboard and toolbelt?

With respect to how they feel when typing etc

Posted via CB10
    The older unit felt a little more "hollow" when typing, if that makes any sense. The newer one felt a little more solid. Perhaps that was just in my head, but the quality of the newer one felt like the keys had more substance to them.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 08:52 AM
    And to find the manufacturing date, there's a six digit number on the side of the box that will looking something like:

That would be February 2nd, 2015, for example.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 08:54 AM
    Can I ask what the build date for the Classic on the right is?

Posted with my Blackberry Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2639
    12-26-15 03:23 PM
    Can I ask what the build date for the Classic on the right is?

Not sure! I got it direct from BlackBerry without its box. It was loaded with the latest OS too.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 05:29 PM
    The older unit felt a little more "hollow" when typing, if that makes any sense. The newer one felt a little more solid. Perhaps that was just in my head, but the quality of the newer one felt like the keys had more substance to them.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm Yea, I have a Blue Classic made in June and the keys are slightly firmer/substantial as you said.

Also got a Black from Feb and it isn't quite as nice.

Just got the black last week actually from shopbb, so just goes to show what kind of a crapshoot this whole thing is.

You'd think their initial inventory would've been all sold by now.

It's actually a little annoying as I waited this long to get a newer build but still got stuck with their sh*t from the initial release.

Same goes for the initial Passports which many folks reported screen lifting on...they're still shipping passports made from last december...smh.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 06:26 PM
    Hmm Yea, I have a Blue Classic made in June and the keys are slightly firmer/substantial as you said.

Also got a Black from Feb and it isn't quite as nice.

Just got the black last week actually from shopbb, so just goes to show what kind of a crapshoot this whole thing is.

You'd think their initial inventory would've been all sold by now.

It's actually a little annoying as I waited this long to get a newer build but still got stuck with their sh*t from the initial release.

Same goes for the initial Passports which many folks reported screen lifting on...they're still shipping passports made from last december...smh.

Posted via CB10
    Very true, it is a bit of a crapshoot, isn't it? The first phone that I got in the pictures above: the left one from February was from Shop BlackBerry too. Yes, you'd think their earlier inventory would all be gone by now. Now I have also heard of some people recently ordering and getting a device made in October. So again, luck of the draw I guess. Oh well.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-15 07:38 AM
    My initial release from shop blackberry was solid and no problems so far after 1 year just FYI .
    12-27-15 08:40 AM
    Does anyone have a Classic made in late 2015?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 03:34 PM
    Mine was made May 2015, and my partners is August 2015. She got hers in October from Telstra (telco) on a plan, but had to wait for it on order. Mine was purchased in December from a different Telstra store, outright. I didn't have to wait though, it was the last one they had in stock.

Both build qualities are pretty much the same, but if I'm picky, I would say that my scroll button has that slight anti-clockwise rotation, where as hers is straight, and I have the tiniest amount of light bleed from under my screen just above the BB action key on the toolbelt.

01-14-16 05:04 AM
    Mine was made 060215. Seems perfect to me, but I'm not one that can spot the tiniest of imperfections either.
    01-14-16 11:46 AM
    can't complain at all, my Classic was made on 111214 issued with OS-10.3.1.1154, delivered shortly after xmas 2014
    Device is solid as a rock, nothing loose or wiggling, no raised screen or anything just perfect to me.
    Would consider this Classic as one from the initial released production line.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 01-14-16 at 02:58 PM.
    01-14-16 02:46 PM
    Alright so I got another Classic and the date on the box is in November of 2015. But guess what, it's quality is actually not as good as the Classic I got a few weeks ago that is dated in February of 2015. The February unit clicks like nobody's business, but the November unit has a very "squishy" feel. Both units were purchased from Shop BlackBerry but the older one feels much better.

There was fellow on the forums here that did post about how the date on the box is not the manufacture date, but is actually the packaging date; that is, when the box was literally boxed. That probably explains it.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-16 03:08 PM
    Mine is 060315, got it one month later. The build quality was rock solid (now after 9 months feels as if it was just taken out of the box). To this day no odd sounds or squeaks, no light bleed, the keyboard has got even feel and resistance with even backlight, no double typing, white balance perfect, never froze, no issues after latest software upgrade and runs like new. Just perfect.
    01-25-16 05:40 PM
    Currently have my hands on two BNIB Classics.

One from 280115 and the other from 150116

The 280115 was acquired through BlackBerry directly and the latter from a carrier.

Seems to me BlackBerry directly still carries very early stock while the carriers probably moved more inventory and so now, would carry later built versions.

The keyboard between the two devices are night and day - the earlier device is total garbage compared to the one from 2016, which has a very similar feel to the Cobalt blue which was made in June 2015.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    07-19-16 07:58 PM
    I've had 4 Classics since release and some I had to return because of gap between toolbelt and screen (with light bleeding through), sticky keys, major keyboard bleed and paint chipping off the keys.

Once I heard the Classic was going out of mfg, I ordered direct from shop blackberry Canada last Thursday. It shipped from BlackBerry direct (Guelph to be exact). I just got it today and happy to say it is absolutely flawless. First time I see this!

Mfg date on the box is Mar. 2016.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 10:03 PM
    I've had 4 Classics since release and some I had to return because of gap between toolbelt and screen (with light bleeding through), sticky keys, major keyboard bleed and paint chipping off the keys.

Once I heard the Classic was going out of mfg, I ordered direct from shop blackberry Canada last Thursday. It shipped from BlackBerry direct (Guelph to be exact). I just got it today and happy to say it is absolutely flawless. First time I see this!

Mfg date on the box is Mar. 2016.

Posted via CB10
    Seriously? Sweet!

So how do you find the keyboard, it's tighter isn't it?

Yea the keys on the early builds felt like they could fall out after a while of use lol

So did you pay $499 for it?

07-20-16 09:23 AM
    Mine is 16.05.2015 Made for Blackberry Canada
    07-20-16 10:36 AM
    Seriously? Sweet!

So how do you find the keyboard, it's tighter isn't it?

Yea the keys on the early builds felt like they could fall out after a while of use lol

So did you pay $499 for it?

Yeah, I paid $499 :-O. I'm so loving it right now!

I don't think I notice anything with the key feeling to be honest. Last night I couldn't believe there was no light bleed at all. They for sure have done some revisions because all the Classics I had before did. This thing is perfect build like I had seen with the BlackBerry Passport or Q10. Never seen issues with those.

So friggin happy to type on a physical keyboard again. So old school and so awesome. Takes me back to a simple way of living without all these apps. The basics and the basics perfectly. Totally missed the hub as well. Only reason I stopped using is because I dropped my last one and cracked the LCD.

Just wish there was a decent case for this phone. I got the BlackBerry pocket and skin, but the perfect solution for me would be a dual lined case like the Case Mate Olo for the Q10. The Oterbox defender? No thanks...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by shawngt2; 07-20-16 at 02:46 PM.
    07-20-16 01:28 PM