I got my Classic today delivered FedEX from the BB Store. I promptly went to Telus to get a plan. They put in a SIM card and I chose a plan and off I went. By the time I walked into the door, I noticed that AT&T was on the upper right corner instead of Telus. I couldn't phone out or receive calls. I live 1/2 mile from the United States border. Does anyone have any thoughts. I have turned off all cellular service for now fearing horrific roaming charges. I tried calling the Telus kiosk where I went to sign up, but of course only an answering machine saying they will return calls tomorrow because it is Christmas hours. This seems a huge problem and I would like to know how to stay on Telus and not roam onto AT&T. PS The two sales agents at Telus who were in their twenties used to have Blackberries and loved them. They both asked if they could play with my phone and they both said they would think of buying one as they missed Blackberry. They said they think this phone could bring back the fortunes for Blackberry.
    12-22-14 10:14 PM
    In your settings make sure the apn is correct, sp.telus.com, and if you can't change it try doing the manual selection in Network selection drop down.
    kitmo likes this.
    12-22-14 10:17 PM
    Thanks for answering. The apn seems correct. Is there a switch to turn off voice and data roaming?
    12-22-14 10:35 PM
    Thanks for answering. The apn seems correct. Is there a switch to turn off voice and data roaming?
    Is there the roaming icon showing, as at&t and telus share so you might be just to close to the border, and in your settings you can turn roaming off ,not sure about voice.
    kitmo likes this.
    12-22-14 10:39 PM
    I got my Classic today delivered FedEX from the BB Store. I promptly went to Telus to get a plan. They put in a SIM card and I chose a plan and off I went. By the time I walked into the door, I noticed that AT&T was on the upper right corner instead of Telus. I couldn't phone out or receive calls. I live 1/2 mile from the United States border. Does anyone have any thoughts. I have turned off all cellular service for now fearing horrific roaming charges. I tried calling the Telus kiosk where I went to sign up, but of course only an answering machine saying they will return calls tomorrow because it is Christmas hours. This seems a huge problem and I would like to know how to stay on Telus and not roam onto AT&T. PS The two sales agents at Telus who were in their twenties used to have Blackberries and loved them. They both asked if they could play with my phone and they both said they would think of buying one as they missed Blackberry. They said they think this phone could bring back the fortunes for Blackberry.
    sorry friend you are out of luck....you need to move away from there
    kitmo likes this.
    12-22-14 10:48 PM
    Do a manual network selection vs. letting it automatically connect. Settings>Network and Connections>Mobile Network. Under Network Selection mode, disable automatic and see what networks it finds manually. If it finds TELUS, connect to it. If not, well something screwy is going on with TELUS rather than the device. It should be finding TELUS if TELUS is there and working proper.
    FrankIAm, raino and kitmo like this.
    12-22-14 10:57 PM
    Yay! I am on Telus now after following your instructions. Thank you so much Bla 1 ze. My husband and I have been stressed all afternoon i.e. trying to learn the phone and then trying to figure out the roaming. You enabled us to turn off our whirling brains and head to bed happy. I'm going to print your instructions in case something screws up and I go brain dead and lose my memory lol.
    12-22-14 11:11 PM
    I have done that to disable the automatic network search and used the manual to connect to AT&T when I was in Nebraska. the thing is if the signal is not strong enough. I was constantly losing the AT&T signal every 2-3 minutes and reconnected manually. it is a pain...
    kitmo likes this.
    12-22-14 11:31 PM
    OP, this is a huge issue unfortunately. Cellphone towers tend to broadcast stronger and stronger signals and cellphones are getting antennae technologies that can pick up very week signals. I heard that lots of people had been charged roaming charges without even crossing the boarder cause their cellphone locked on a tower on the other side of the boarder.

If that happens, you have to call Telus to have the charges reversed.

In the settings, instead of having automatic network selection, choose manual and select Telus. If it doesn't show up, move further away from the boarder (take a drive on the highway) and lock on to it.

Also disable data when roaming in settings too.

Posted via CB10
    kitmo likes this.
    12-22-14 11:55 PM
    Update about my BB Classic roaming from Telus onto AT&T. When I did what you all suggested (choosing manual and selecting Telus) it would only stay on Telus briefly. I went into Telus today to see if they have some sort of roaming block for people like me who live so close to the US border. They were supposed to get a roaming block this Fall, but it isn't available yet. So I had to buy a pay as you go plan (which doesn't allow roaming) and buy text and data to go with it. When it roamed over to AT&T, I couldn't receive calls or text and a message flashed in the upper rt. corner of the phone "emergency calls only". So that was not workable. So far so good with my pay and go plan. Once again the Telus employees were transfixed with my BB Classic. They haven't got any and have never seen one.
    12-23-14 01:46 PM
    You are in what's called a border zone

Usa carriers specifically increase signal strength in these areas to catch us Canadians in carrier roaming fees...

True story use to work for telus in loyalty and networking

In Squircle I Trust
    12-23-14 01:49 PM
    Update about my BB Classic roaming from Telus onto AT&T. When I did what you all suggested (choosing manual and selecting Telus) it would only stay on Telus briefly. I went into Telus today to see if they have some sort of roaming block for people like me who live so close to the US border. They were supposed to get a roaming block this Fall, but it isn't available yet. So I had to buy a pay as you go plan (which doesn't allow roaming) and buy text and data to go with it. When it roamed over to AT&T, I couldn't receive calls or text and a message flashed in the upper rt. corner of the phone "emergency calls only". So that was not workable. So far so good with my pay and go plan. Once again the Telus employees were transfixed with my BB Classic. They haven't got any and have never seen one.
    pretty much what I was saying earlier.....
    12-23-14 04:15 PM
    Telus is now saying my Blackberry Classic antenna is not strong enough to pick up Telus in my area. See new thread please.
    12-23-14 04:19 PM
    12-24-14 12:35 AM
    There is an issue with BB10.3 manual roaming selection. I'm on the UK network, 3, and I travel to gibraltar, which has an airtime sharing agreement with the spanish networks, so allows calls and data to come out of the standard monthly tariff when you travel to spain. Gibraltar is small, and you can often use the spanish networks if you are close to the border. With my old iPhone (a dirty word, I know, but bear with me), I can select a spanish network with the manual network setting, and it will stay with that network regardless of signal strength and will merely report no service if out of range. With my BB Passport, the phone I'd much prefer to use, I select manual, and it will, upon losing signal, override my manual settings and default back to automatic, switch to the strongest network, GIBTEL, one I don't have a sharing agreement with, and start charging me high roaming roaming data fees. It's my perspective that this renders the manual selection of a network completely pointless if it switches back to automatic. It's a pretty big oversight on my beloved blackberry and one I can't believe no-one else has fallen foul of. Is there a workaround. Many thanks in advance.
    05-31-15 02:16 PM