Hello,

we opened the Classic today and found 4 Pins, maybe for qi Charging. The last 2 Pins are for NFC.

The Pad we mounted did not charge the Classic. Maybe someone can figure out more. Here some pics.

Blackberry Classic Qi Charger mod-img_20150122_112919.jpg

Blackberry Classic Qi Charger mod-img_20150122_112207.jpg

Blackberry Classic Qi Charger mod-img_20150122_112221.jpg
    1Criz, t.c.3 and Hulk123 like this.
    01-22-15 05:05 AM
    Well there is actually references to Wireless charging starting from 10.3 OS in the Dev docs, maybe it's not fully implemented yet?

"QString rxid[read-only]

The RxID of the wireless charging receiver chip.

The RxID is the string representation of an 11-byte value. If the device has not been on a charging pad since boot up, the RxID will be an empty string. The RxID is a wireless charging receiver identifier and can be used to identify the device to wireless charging systems.
    Since:

BlackBerry 10.3.0

!"

https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...tteryinfo.html
    01-22-15 05:57 AM
    I think that maybe the NFC antenna. It is built into the back of the battery door on all the other BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 06:24 AM
    Yes thats the NFC antenna. It has 2 Pins to connect. That would be Pin 3 and 4.

It could be that Pin 1 and 2 are for Qi Charging. But maybe one of them is for vayrifing that a Qi Charger Coil is present, the other one is 5Volt and one of Pin 3 or 4 is GND.

Maybe it is not activated in BB 10 OS.

I heared that the VERIZON Version comes with Wireless Charging included. Does anyone have one?
    qi zhang likes this.
    01-22-15 02:16 PM
    Interesting. But I wonder if there's a way to bypass that RxID thing.

I want wireless charging and don't mind Qi, absolutely no PMA, but even better if it can be hacked to use Touchstone. Then I can recycle all my Palm docks with one of my spare coils.
    01-22-15 07:48 PM
    Touchstones 4 life.... I have actually contemplated selling my q10 to get a new pre3... I mourn the loss of my pre3...poor fella

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 08:02 PM
    Well I'm actually trying to retire my Pre 3. Poor thing served me good for the past 4 years with all the droppings and abuse. Ineed WhatsApp to message my family overseas and MojoWhatsup worked but this time I think it's banned for good, if WhatsApp is doing it on purpose.

Been trying to stretch its life until I can find a Verizon Classic. But if this works I'll just get an unlocked one and hack Touchstone onto it, this would be ideal.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-22-15 08:04 PM
    Well I'm actually trying to retire my Pre 3. Poor thing served me good for the past 4 years, but I need WhatsApp to message my family overseas. MojoWhatsup just got banned it seems, usually I have faith it comes back working but I think this time it's for good if WhatsApp is doing it on purpose.

Been trying to stretch its life until I can find a Verizon Classic. But if this works I'll just get an unlocked one and hack Touchstone onto it, this would be ideal.
    My pre3 is...well was.. more efficient and a work horse than my q10 is... being on webos for so long I have not become "addicted" to apps, and my phone needs are work... the superior integration to exchange contacts and email exp on webos make it a much better phone to me than bb10 and the z and q10 I have used...the shattered screen on the other hand of my pre3 really kills it's productivity!

Posted via CB10
    chinmay007 likes this.
    01-22-15 08:08 PM
    Well if you really want, I have a spare screen I previously bought to service my phone, if you're interested I can sell it to you...
    01-22-15 08:11 PM
    Well if you really want, I have a spare screen I previously bought to service my phone, if you're interested I can sell it to you...
    Pm me, I looked on ebay haven't found a screen...do u have bezel also? my bezel broke ( I was not kind to it..) and it took a fateful flight from my hands going down tile stairs one day...no bezel to protect the screen and well... much QQ from me.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 08:14 PM
    Thank you for all the comments, but can we please stay on topic.

Thank you.
    01-23-15 02:26 AM

It could be that Pin 1 and 2 are for Qi Charging. But maybe one of them is for vayrifing that a Qi Charger Coil is present, the other one is 5Volt and one of Pin 3 or 4 is GND.

I heared that the VERIZON Version comes with Wireless Charging included. Does anyone have one?
    Would that mean changing the cover and a change in the OS get you wireless charging?

Someone should offer a cover with wireless and a better antenna.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 05:52 AM
    Yes i think so.

Change the Cover and benefit from Wireless Charging.

Verizon Sales says that the BB Classic will be released Feb 5th, 2015

So is it just a rumor, or does it really have Wireless Charging?
    01-23-15 06:29 AM
    The Crackberry head to ask is Raino. I'm on the mobile so I can't do the search. Search Classic models or frequency. It will be one of 4 models SQC100-1, -2, -3 or -4. Raino might be able to tell you if a simple cover switch and a leaked OS will work.

While they are at it make one with a better antenna.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 07:23 AM
    If that's true, it would be great for everybody wanting wireless charging.

Any software programmers?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 07:27 AM
    How was it just to expose the battery? The You Tube video seemed like a lot of work.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 07:29 AM
    Yes i think so.

Change the Cover and benefit from Wireless Charging.

Verizon Sales says that the BB Classic will be released Feb 5th, 2015

So is it just a rumor, or does it really have Wireless Charging?
    Product Details - Wireless Power Consortium
    Product Details - Wireless Power Consortium

And based on this: http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...10/index4.html

It's like likely the Verizon one.
    01-23-15 08:18 AM

So did you do anymore digging to see what those pins are?
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-26-15 08:27 PM
    I haven't worked out anything about the pins yet, but I too would like to add Qi wireless charging to my device. Before my Classic I had a Lumia 1020 with the official wireless charging case - today measured the output of that: ~3V AC. This means in the case of the Lumia all of the circuitry to convert the AC to DC to charge the phone is inside the phone, rather than the case.

I'm assuming this means it's the same with the BlackBerry. kamueone, when you tried a pad, what were you actually connecting to the pins of the BlackBerry? Was the pad you tried /just/ a coil, or did it have some circuitry and output a DC voltage?

/If/ I feel brave over the next few weeks and this thread doesn't get anywhere in the mean time I will try hooking my Lumia case up to the pins of the Classic to see what happens. I don't want to brake anything though!
    02-03-15 10:25 AM
    I'm getting mine tomorrow and planning to try Touchstone. If it works it would be the 9/10 replacement for my Pre.
    02-03-15 04:41 PM
    Hi Guys,

Anything new on your respective investigations?
    Would be very interested in knowing we can use QI charging indeed...
    ma678 likes this.
    02-17-15 07:55 AM
    Hello,

Yes, sorry. So I did what I said above to no avail. Took the back off the phone, and attached the coil of my Lumia to the two unused pins of the Classic - nothing happened when I then put the coil on the charging pad. Not that it should matter, but I also changed the polarity of my connections still with no effect.

After this I put 5V DC from a power supply at work (Electronic Engineer) on the two pins and still the phone didn't react (either polarity).

I'm hoping this is a software thing, because I downloaded the latest leaked version last week that is supposed to be the final release for AT&T and Verison - maybe I will try the same tests again soon.

Has anyone else got any more information?
    BaffTech likes this.
    02-17-15 08:20 AM
    Just done the tests again - no luck. Obviously nothing as simple as that sadly.

Maybe the hardware on the Verison/AT&T ones is/will be different, maybe it's still software, or maybe I'm just sticking the wrong signals on those two pins.
    BaffTech likes this.
    02-17-15 08:33 AM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry help tou with thee information. MG it can't be that much of a secret.

BlackBerry please leak this info.

B1aze? Can you help then?

Posted via CB10
    MoeR15 likes this.
    02-17-15 11:29 AM
    Thanks @groupmsl for your testing. I didn't have much hope to be honest as I don't think they supplied the standard Classic with hidden features but your discovery was questioning
    02-17-15 04:15 PM
38 12