Hey guys, this is my first time here in these forums or even on crackberry. The Classic would by my first ever BB purchase apart from the curve 9320 which I had for only a week.
    I am looking to buy a used Classic for approximately $125. I love the looks of this phone and also loved the keyboard on the curve 9320 (The reason I'm buying the classic)
    I won't be using it as a daily driver (I have my android phone for that) but instead I'll use it for calls, emails, text messages and WhatsApp.
    My only concern is, since WhatsApp won't be supported for the classic after June, can I still use the Android apk of WhatsApp on the Classic or are there any other alternatives?
    All in all, I just want the user's honest opinion about having a BB10 device in 2017 just for calls and WhatsApp (other social media as well, of any)
    Edit: I'll also do a bit of music streaming on Spotify and SoundCloud. Are there alternative apps to these services?

Thank you so much.
    05-05-17 04:21 AM
    Problem is even if there is solutions TODAY.... a month from now those might not work.

Before you buy... I suggest you do a search on CrackBerry for each social media app, or music app you are interested in. Then do a little reading on what issues those apps currently are facing.

Biggest issue besides lack of support, is that BB10 uses an Android Runtime based on Android 4.3 that now about 5 years old. Even within Android that is at the edge or below current support levels.

Classic makes a great basic communications tool - email, text, and calls. If $125 doesn't mean much, get it and play around with it. If $125 is a big deal.... think about it some.
    Ishan Bhatnagar likes this.
    05-05-17 07:25 AM
    Thanks a lot for your reply. Even if the classic doesn't suit my needs or has problems running the apps I want, I could sell it for more than I bought it. So that won't be an issue. Regardless of this, I found this amazing YouTube called Jan Ole. He does videos on BB devices, specially the devices running OS10. He has some videos regarding WhatsApp and some android apps. They seem to be working fine and there's a native app called whatsup10 which is newly developed and works great as a WhatsApp app. I might be getting the classic tomorrow. Would love to review it for users who are interested as to how it holds up in 2017.
    05-05-17 11:59 AM
    Your android can do all tasks you want the classic do. Just use it and save your money. Or you can buy a good headset for your music needs.
    05-05-17 12:07 PM
    Buy the Classic. Enjoy it for what it is - an unrivaled communication and productivity device. There are workarounds for certain apps, if you are willing to go to the effort. If you aren't, then you might reconsider.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-17 06:01 PM
    If you're not a legacy BlackBerry user like many of us here, I would recommend that you save up some $$$ and get a used Priv or new Keyone instead. To use BB10 today is quite an effort if you need application support, especially for social media applications. I have been using BlackBerry since OS4, and also have another Android phone. I chose the Classic because of the keyboard, and that I'm familiar enough with BB10 that I know how to find workarounds for those apps that I need (namely Android Whatsapp and Android Wechat).

I wouldn't recommend BB10 for a new user. It would be better to move to an Android device - which will be faster than the Classic in almost every respect.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask any questions. People in Singapore, where I am based at, laugh at me when they see me using a BlackBerry. Yes, the brand perception of BlackBerry is THAT bad.

It is an excellent device, no doubt. Just that using BB10 today requires quite a bit of tinkering to get Android apps working properly. And even then, the Classic is a slow phone by today's standards, so you have to be realistic and practical too.

Cheers mate!

Posted via CB10
    glwerry likes this.
    05-05-17 07:57 PM
    Classic is not worth $125. I have one for work. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a used one.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2205 / Telus
    05-05-17 08:00 PM
    If you're not a legacy BlackBerry user like many of us here, I would recommend that you save up some $$$ and get a used Priv or new Keyone instead. To use BB10 today is quite an effort if you need application support, especially for social media applications. I have been using BlackBerry since OS4, and also have another Android phone. I chose the Classic because of the keyboard, and that I'm familiar enough with BB10 that I know how to find workarounds for those apps that I need (namely Android Whatsapp and Android Wechat).

I wouldn't recommend BB10 for a new user. It would be better to move to an Android device - which will be faster than the Classic in almost every respect.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask any questions. People in Singapore, where I am based at, laugh at me when they see me using a BlackBerry. Yes, the brand perception of BlackBerry is THAT bad.

It is an excellent device, no doubt. Just that using BB10 today requires quite a bit of tinkering to get Android apps working properly. And even then, the Classic is a slow phone by today's standards, so you have to be realistic and practical too.

Cheers mate!

Posted via CB10
    I have used a BB device before that is, the curve 9320. If I get the classic, it'll be my secondary phone for calls and WhatsApp. BB has the same perception here in India as well. I find the form factor as well as the keyboard a breeze to use, hence my obsession with getting a classic. Furthermore, the classic is quite an expensive device here in India, be it second hand as well. This is the cheapest bargain I got.
    Edit: My primary phone is an Android device, Mi Note 4 to be exact. So app support isn't really an issue for me apart from WhatsApp only.
    05-06-17 03:44 AM
    Just get the Classic and enjoy its pkb fun and simplicity while it still lasts.

I run android whatsapp already on my Classic and it works fine (including sending pictures). Mail + Hub still beat my Samsung A3 experience....

CB10 on my Classic
    05-06-17 11:53 AM
    I got a used mint condition classic on Thursday and LOVE IT!! I also have a BlackBerry Passport and iphone 5s, but enjoy using this phone over the others.

I love the keyboard, extremely helpful and useful for writing text messages and long bodies of text. I use this phone as my daily driver. I stopped using social media as much, so I'm much more productive on this phone.

Overall, my opinion is you should get it. At least try it out for yourself to see if it works for you or not. But this is a great phone, indeed!!

Posted via CB10
    05-06-17 01:12 PM
    The Classic still handles its main strengths well. Namely communication (email, text, calling). I also find Web browsing on mine fine but I know other BB10 users have issues with the native browser. If that is what you want/need from a phone the Classic will still serve you well.

If you need a strong app selection though as others have said then the Android Blackberries may be a better option.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-17 04:04 PM
    Like others have said, the Classic and BlackBerry 10 devices as a whole are great phones. For the uses you mention, calls, texts, emails and WhatsApp it's currently a fine device. I will warn you that WhatsApp may not worth at the end of next month, it may also work with no additional features or support.

For $125 it's a good phone to have for a backup device. I always have backup devices at home in case I need one as a result of broken screens, warranty work etc. Having an extra phone as well makes for great unlocked traveling devices to have a local Sim and number. It can really cut down on your roaming bill in a lot of ways.

In any event, enjoy the gorgeous looking Classic regardless!

Posted via CB10
    05-06-17 05:04 PM
    So I just got the classic yesterday. Running into a few problems already.
    1. Backlit keyboard is not lighting up at all, tried restarting and hard reset several times.
    2. The previous owner did not turn on Blackberry protect anti-theft, so after resetting the phone via security wipe, I am not able to sign in via my BB ID (I have contacted the previous owner for the email and password to resolve this)
    3. A tiny portion of the screen on left part isn't accepting touch. Gets frustrating but I'm glad the classic has a trackpad.

Overall, my first impressions are that this device is a tank. I don't mind these problems apart from keyboard not lighting up which is a huge issue since during night I tend to text a lot and not being able to see the keyboard is of no use.
    05-06-17 11:45 PM
    The backlight issue should have been disclosed prior to sale. That is a big issue in my opinion. Otherwise, I agree with your observations - it's a fine device.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 02:38 AM
    The backlight issue should have been disclosed prior to sale. That is a big issue in my opinion. Otherwise, I agree with your observations - it's a fine device.

Posted via CB10
    That's the thing. The buyer didn't inform me about the keyboard nor the touch screen issue. I might visit a BlackBerry service centre and see if they could do something about the keyboard atleast.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 05:34 AM
    I would demand a refund, in that case.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 05:38 AM
    The only problem with being a bb10 user in 2017 is that you will most likely have to use a second device(IOS or Android) to make sure that you have access to all the apps you need and want without having to worry about hoping that it works on your BlackBerry.

If that sounds like something that you would be able to do, go for it.

My Passport/Classic alongside either my Priv or 7Plus works great.

If you end up getting the classic, enjoy it. It's an awesome communication device.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    05-08-17 08:47 AM
    1. Backlit keyboard is not lighting up at all, tried restarting and hard reset several times.
    2. The previous owner did not turn on Blackberry protect anti-theft, so after resetting the phone via security wipe, I am not able to sign in via my BB ID (I have contacted the previous owner for the email and password to resolve this)
    3. A tiny portion of the screen on left part isn't accepting touch. Gets frustrating but I'm glad the classic has a trackpad.

Overall, my first impressions are that this device is a tank. I don't mind these problems apart from keyboard not lighting up which is a huge issue since during night I tend to text a lot and not being able to see the keyboard is of no use.
    If it's a second hand don't panic, open the back housing and with a screwdriver tightens the screws. Search on youtube how to open it

Posted via Mr. Chen Passport
    05-12-17 03:25 AM

This is why I don't buy pre-owned stuff, unless I personally know the seller.
    05-12-17 05:05 AM
    This is why I don't buy pre-owned stuff, unless I personally know the seller.
    This is why I only buy things than I can repair. Like phones, tablets, computers... it's so easy with video tutorials. My q10 had a keyboard problem since the beginning, and I fixed it. The phone cost me 80€ (in 2015). Unlocked.
    My Classic had the same screen and keyboard light and I fixed it. The phone cost me 90€ unlocked
    Of course you need to experiment the phone first, and is always risky.

Posted via Mr. Chen Passport
    05-12-17 06:22 AM