View Poll Results: Do you think BlackBerry should skip NFC on the upcoming Q20 or not?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ditch it!

24 13.71%
  • No, keep it!

151 86.29%
    One of BGR's newest post: "Apple�s decision to ignore NFC is looking better every day" (source: GigaOM), what do you think?

Should BlackBerry follow Apple's decision to skip NFC on the upcoming Q20? Or do you use NFC (with your BlackBerry) and think the company should keep supporting the technology? If so, what do you use the NFC for?

I for one, only use the NFC (on my Bold 9900) for transferring musics and files with other compatible BlackBerry phones, there was once mobile payment offering (using NFC) from Telkomsel (one of the biggest wireless companies in Indonesia) but like in the US over there, it didn't really take off and I couldn't find it anywhere now. Personally, I think BlackBerry shouldn't include NFC in the Q20, it got little of use and only add more costs to the device, which users will be paying for.
    unspoken likes this.
    03-19-14 09:59 PM
    I've owned multiple phones with NFC - my HTC, my Z10, my GS3...and it's the first thing I turn off and never turn back on.

NFC is a big, big MEH. Not even a convenience, to be honest. It's certainly not going to factor into any phone decision.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Gykesdollars, tack, CDM76 and 4 others like this.
    03-19-14 10:05 PM
    I've owned multiple phones with NFC - my HTC, my Z10, my GS3...and it's the first thing I turn off and never turn back on.

NFC is a big, big MEH. Not even a convenience, to be honest. It's certainly not going to factor into any phone decision.

I use NFC every day. If you like having to either keep your Bluetooth on all of the time, or have to manually link your devices, that's cool for you. I use the music gateway in my car, and every day when I get in my car I just touch my phone to the gateway and start driving as my mp3's play in my car. When I'm done I just leave the car and once the BT is out of range it'll unlink and the BT will automatically turn off. When I get back in my car later, just touch the phone again and off I go... I'll keep the feature, especially now that my carrier is starting to push support for NFC payments...
    03-19-14 10:25 PM
    Ya clearly some people don't understand mobile payments and their future. Just too bad those are the people who are on the front lines recommending devices to consumers while stating they are unbiased.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 11:21 PM

I've had NFC for a while as well, and I feel the same. I'll use it for a review every now and then, but for the most part, it isn't as useful as Tasker for my needs.

If/when iOS adopts it, I'm sure there will be better uses for it.
    KDB84 and reeneebob like this.
    03-19-14 11:23 PM
    I've had NFC for a while as well, and I feel the same. I'll use it for a review every now and then, but for the most part, it isn't as useful as Tasker for my needs.

If/when iOS adopts it, I'm sure there will be better uses for it.
    Ya I'm sure it will be important when it's called iNFC.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 11:33 PM
    I think NFC is great and use it a lot. For instance any Android phone with NFC can share photos with a tap with BBRY phones and that alone is a big convenience.
    03-19-14 11:41 PM
    I use it every day to buy coffee. The US is slow to adopt...doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't using it.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141/Telus
    03-19-14 11:47 PM
    Uses are thin around here. Then there's the security issue, in that I refuse to keep it on.

Using it you share media is cool, except I'm more likely to use Dropbox to disseminate.

If there were more terminals, it would probably catch on faster.
    03-20-14 12:50 AM
    I use it a lot to copy pics and videos between my and my wife's Z10s. Why would they remove it if the engineering is already done? Which it is. That'd be like removing WiFi 802.11b just to remove it.
    03-20-14 12:55 AM
    Lol. I remember debating someone on here years back when the Bold 99xx phones were coming. They were saying that there would be payment terminals all over the place that could utilize NFC. I work (in part) installing point of sale systems and NFC is NOT something that is ever added. Significant extra cost for not enough extra benefit.

As I posted I have other uses, but the whole payment terminal thing is not about to take off -- not in the US.

Yeah if Apple adopted NFC it would matter a lot. But Apple's not the type of company to adopt anything that other platforms could utilize. Thus, iBeacon is their choice.
    03-20-14 12:58 AM
    Lol. I remember debating someone on here years back when the Bold 99xx phones were coming. They were saying that there would be payment terminals all over the place that could utilize NFC. I work (in part) installing point of sale systems and NFC is NOT something that is ever added. Significant extra cost for not enough extra benefit.

As I posted I have other uses, but the whole payment terminal thing is not about to take off -- not in the US.

Yeah if Apple adopted NFC it would matter a lot. But Apple's not the type of company to adopt anything that other platforms could utilize. Thus, iBeacon is their choice.
    Agreed. And doubly agreed with regards to Apple's usage/adoption

Now, I don't think current device makers should remove it just for the sake of removing it either.
    03-20-14 01:05 AM
    I've just read this over at NFC World before I read your post, funny coincidence, those guys are still hoping Apple will include NFC in the iPhone 6:

"An iPhone 6, which should arrive in Autumn 2014 if Apple remains true to form, could be the first handset from the company to feature NFC. But if we're talking about remaining true to form, it probably won't."
    03-20-14 01:22 AM
    Now, I don't think current device makers should remove it just for the sake of removing it either.
    What if by removing the 'less-used' technologies, like the NFC and WiFi 802.11b, means lowering the handset costs thus making the Q20's price tag cheaper?
    03-20-14 01:25 AM
    Uses are thin around here. Then there's the security issue, in that I refuse to keep it on.

Using it you share media is cool, except I'm more likely to use Dropbox to disseminate.

Uh, you realize it's only active while your screen is on right? When it's in my holster, the nfc is not active. Or I supposed you're one of the pocket people, if you have the screen off when you toss is into your pocket, it is also not active...
    NinjaB likes this.
    03-20-14 02:06 AM

Now iBeacon, THAT is something with major security issues, unlike NFC, because that's something that has to be always on and active for it to work since some iBeacon functions have to work at a distance without any action from the user... NFC at least is only active when the screen is on, and you have to get extremely close in order to get any read from it...
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-20-14 02:08 AM
    What if by removing the 'less-used' technologies, like the NFC and WiFi 802.11b, means lowering the handset costs thus making the Q20's price tag cheaper?
    If I wanted a "low cost" device I would be buying a Z3 or a Q5. Please leave the Q20 a "premium" device. Thanks...
    03-20-14 02:09 AM
    "I don't use it, so they should remove it so nobody can use it!"

Great...
    03-20-14 02:10 AM
    I use my phone to tap and buy coffee everyday and I don't have to open my wallet, count the change or fumble for a credit/debit card.

It looks like the good old US of A is kinda slow to adopt NFC.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 02:15 AM
    I used it in lots of place, if they have Nfc on their interact thing I can pay using my phone.

Security wise it's actually safer than my wallet, because if someone steal my phone, they have to figure out my picture password, and they can't use Nfc if the phone is locked, they can't hack it so the only thing left is a wipe which is perfect.

If you think Nfc is not secure it mean you never actually tried it properly, because there isn't anything more secure unless you keep your wallet in a safe.

When I do a transaction, I need first to unlock my device, then I need to accept the transaction, if one step is missing no transaction will be processed
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    03-20-14 04:56 AM
    Uh, you realize it's only active while your screen is on right? When it's in my holster, the nfc is not active. Or I supposed you're one of the pocket people, if you have the screen off when you toss is into your pocket, it is also not active...
    Fair point; I'm looking at it from the perspective of another platform, where my screen comes on its own and remains active based on GPS. That wouldn't be an issue with my Z10.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-20-14 05:49 AM
    I use NFC to transfer files between devices, and I haven't used anything else to buy a coffee since TimmyMe rolled out NFC payment.
    03-20-14 07:15 AM

This seems like a US centric point of view. The US is the only place I've seen POS terminals that don't support NFC payment.
    03-20-14 07:19 AM
    One of BGR's newest post: "Apple�s decision to ignore NFC is looking better every day" (source: GigaOM), what do you think?

Should BlackBerry follow Apple's decision to skip NFC on the upcoming Q20? Or do you use NFC (with your BlackBerry) and think the company should keep supporting the technology? If so, what do you use the NFC for?

I for one, only use the NFC (on my Bold 9900) for transferring musics and files with other compatible BlackBerry phones, there was once mobile payment offering (using NFC) from Telkomsel (one of the biggest wireless companies in Indonesia) but like in the US over there, it didn't really take off and I couldn't find it anywhere now. Personally, I think BlackBerry shouldn't include NFC in the Q20, it got little of use and only add more costs to the device, which users will be paying for.
    I think if there were a universal, or avialable everywhere app like the (CIBC credit card Rodgers sim card)one, right at the start of BB using NFC I waould say the landscape would be drastically different. The more all in one you can make your device the more important it can be to the consumer. However when introduced on BB my excitement level was through the roof, its almost 2 years later and I cannot use it to its full potential. So at this point put up or shut up, make use of it or drop it. I know yo can use the stickers and make it very personal for A user. But it needs universal imeadiate uses. Stuff that you have to buy other stuff and take time to set up is OK for hard core BB users, but that kind of thinking is haw we fell behind in the first place. So I say to you NFC on BB, get busy living or get busy dying.
    03-20-14 07:25 AM
    This seems like a US centric point of view. The US is the only place I've seen POS terminals that don't support NFC payment.
    Yep, definitely based on my limited sphere of influence.
    southlander likes this.
    03-20-14 07:25 AM
205 123 ...