Is there a way to stop it from doing this? The situation I'm talking about:

- A text field with a string of text
    - Move cursor to the middle
    - Hold Backspace to clear first half
    - When cursor hits the beginning of the field, it starts deleting the rest of the text to the right

I want it to just hit the beginning of the field and stop there. Is there a setting for this?
    04-17-15 09:53 AM
    I don't know of an option for that. Alt + backspace also turns it into Delete key.

From a Classic
    04-17-15 10:04 AM
    I don't know of an option for that. Alt + backspace also turns it into Delete key.

From a Classic
    So does Shift + Backspace, actually.
    04-17-15 10:59 AM
    I moaned about this in another thread, but didn't get much of a response. I guess most people see it as a feature.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1011013
    tomsobon likes this.
    04-17-15 11:42 AM
    Yes, I really like this feature and I am missing it a lot on Apple devices but an option to control this behaviour would make everyone happy, I guess

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 and playboldbook like this.
    04-17-15 11:47 AM
    I moaned about this in another thread, but didn't get much of a response. I guess most people see it as a feature.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1011013
    I love this feature. If you don't want to delete more, stop pressing delete...

Sometimes I don't accurately put the cursor so deleting the entire line just by continuing to hold delete is great, instead of repositioning the cursor and then deleting the rest.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-17-15 11:58 AM
    It's a feature. A good and very useful one at that.
    04-17-15 12:08 PM
    There's a feature to prevent this while deleting. When you're in the middle. Hold shift and then track pad all the way to the begging or tap and slide finger on the screen the same way, then click delete. Done
    playboldbook likes this.
    04-17-15 12:16 PM
    I love this feature. If you don't want to delete more, stop pressing delete
    The problem is in multi-line text boxes where you reach the beginning of the viewport and can't see the beginning of the text.
    04-17-15 12:22 PM
    There's a feature to prevent this while deleting. When you're in the middle. Hold shift and then track pad all the way to the begging or tap and slide finger on the screen the same way, then click delete. Done
    And on a z10?
    04-17-15 12:24 PM
    I sense some sarcasm in this, but I guess highlighting and deleting is the only workaround in this.
    04-17-15 12:49 PM
    Why aren't we just swiping to delete text? If you need to hold the delete key down, swiping left is faster anyway, and it doesn't delete to the right.
    What I really wish we had was an undo button. even if it was limited to the very last action, it was save me from an oops now and again...
    04-17-15 12:57 PM
    Why aren't we just swiping to delete text? If you need to hold the delete key down, swiping left is faster anyway, and it doesn't delete to the right.
    What I really wish we had was an undo button. even if it was limited to the very last action, it was save me from an oops now and again...
    I thought this was the Classic forum?

04-17-15 12:59 PM
    Guess I should have checked that.... I'll slink away to my passport cave.
    I think I was replying to the z10 comment though.
    04-17-15 01:03 PM
    I thought this was the Classic forum?

Does the classic have swipe backspace anyway on the touch screen when in a text field?
    04-17-15 01:05 PM
    Does the classic have swipe backspace anyway on the touch screen when in a text field?
    Nope, we do things old school, with the trackpad and backspace buttons.
    04-17-15 03:17 PM
    Nope.

04-17-15 03:25 PM
    Please do not complain about this fantastic feature. If you don't like it, adapt now that you know it's there. If you can't adapt, learn to be more careful or count your keystrokes.

But people complaining about "advanced" features like this is part of the reason for the dumbification of all of our modern products.
    04-17-15 03:37 PM
    Please do not complain about this fantastic feature. If you don't like it, adapt now that you know it's there. If you can't adapt, learn to be more careful or count your keystrokes.

But people complaining about "advanced" features like this is part of the reason for the dumbification of all of our modern products.
    Well, there's nothing wrong with the OPTION to turn it off. But if they get rid of this feature so it becomes more like the other "cool" phones, then I'd be pretty disappointed...

04-17-15 03:38 PM
    Just for the record, as I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not advocating removing the feature, just modifying it such the backspace doesn't automatically switch to a forward delete without an additional interaction, specifically lifting off the backspace button for a split second.

It's a bit like driving a car. When you depress the brake pedal and bring the car to a stop, you don't expect the car to automatically switch to reverse and shunt the car behind.
    04-17-15 03:47 PM
    Just for the record, as I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not advocating removing the feature, just modifying it such the backspace doesn't automatically switch to a forward delete without an additional interaction, specifically lifting off the backspace button for a split second.

It's a bit like driving a car. When you depress the brake pedal and bring the car to a stop, you don't expect the car to automatically switch to reverse and shunt the car behind.
    Uh, no, keep it the way it is, period. If you want to argue for an OPTION to modify it, great, but they need to have the option to maintain the current way. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it needs to be changed for every one else...

04-17-15 04:38 PM
    For those who insist that this "feature" is good, care to explain why?

I for one find it very annoying. Now I can see why it's handy in some situations, e.g. on the Q10 or the touch phones where precise text selection isn't as good, so letting it adjust and deleting more may be a good idea. But where the Classic has a touchpad for cursor movement, it already lands right where I want to delete up to.

The suggestions to count steps sounds just like Apple throwing excuses.
    baarn likes this.
    04-17-15 04:44 PM
    This is not a new feature though. I first noticed it a couple years ago on my 9930. I just confirmed it on an old phone.
    04-17-15 05:48 PM
    For those who insist that this "feature" is good, care to explain why?
    I don't think I can come up with any compelling reasons why it is good, but it does logically make sense to me. Partly because if I'm blindly holding down the delete key I usually expect large amounts of text to disappear in mass, I guess. I will admit that baarn's suggestion does make a lot of sense; having it stop and requiring you to repress the key. But, it's been this way for some time and I am used to it this way and changing it would mess me up and probably a lot of other people too.
    04-17-15 05:53 PM
    And on a z10?
    Same with a z10. Hold the up arrow and highlight what you want
    baarn likes this.
    04-17-15 06:56 PM
29 12