Curious if any body in welding, fabricating, or general construction have the classic and how the speakers are holding up. My z10 keeps blowing speakers. Seems to be debris. I've taped up speakers. Kept phone in plastic bag. Couldn't find dust proof options like a good case. So I'm looking at all options. While I'm holding my breath on the sliders release. And trying to decide on fixing z10 or moving to classic.
    If you have a classic or general bb10 phone. What have you used or done to protect it from your elements? The classic seems better built but does it handle not office friendly environment? Is liquipel something you have done and does it work? I like the classic a lot. Fm radio is what I think I'm reading right is what also the classic has. Is that carrier restricted? I'm on att. I've found my self in a situation where a storm knocked out power. I had no access to my weather radio. If you came from a z10 or a all touch phone. Does the classic have any issues with keyboard beside double typing or has that been rectified? Thanks in advance, looking forward to just being able to not have to use a Bluetooth and put my phone in a plastic bag.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 05:08 PM
    Hey no experience on your field but I can answer your Radio question. You need a wired headset or speakers that you can connect to the jack in order for the radio to work as it acts as an antenna.

How to use the FM Radio on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

An Otterbox case or something equivalent would be something to look at if you have your phone out in the open.
    L.berrywiess and lberrywiess like this.
    09-13-15 05:24 PM
    An otterbox would be your best bet but the problem is that it won't protect the speakers from dust and debris, at least that's what I've found

Posted via CB10
    L.berrywiess likes this.
    09-13-15 06:16 PM
    I've looked into otter box. They don't have any options for classic or z10 like the do for other phones as far as dust protection. The one they do have wouldn't cut it. Never had this problem with other phones. Hoping the classic is the answer. I will have a sleeve for it. Put tape on ear piece if I do get it. Sometimes I don't always when I'm in hurry. Like in between calls or waiting on call backs. Usually in pocket. Or maybe I have a crackberry addiction and need help then go buy a durable phone. I don't know darn it!

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 08:03 PM
    I have always kept my 9930 in my front pants pocket where it stays safe and out of my way. You can't have a phone hanging off your belt while crawling into a rock crusher or framing the roof on top of a building. This is why I am opposed to making the phone any bigger so you have no choice but to wear your giant screen device like a fanny pack.
    lberrywiess likes this.
    09-15-15 07:39 PM
    I've looked into otter box. They don't have any options for classic or z10 like the do for other phones as far as dust protection. The one they do have wouldn't cut it. Never had this problem with other phones. Hoping the classic is the answer. I will have a sleeve for it. Put tape on ear piece if I do get it. Sometimes I don't always when I'm in hurry. Like in between calls or waiting on call backs. Usually in pocket. Or maybe I have a crackberry addiction and need help then go buy a durable phone. I don't know darn it!

Posted via CB10
    A sleeve would definitely be your best and safest bet for protecting from dust and debris, something I'm considering investing in for my z30

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 05:05 PM
    The Defender does have dust covers on the headphone jack and charging port. If you cover the speaker and mic, the phone would be kind of useless.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.840
    09-16-15 08:18 PM
    A sleeve would definitely be your best and safest bet for protecting from dust and debris, something I'm considering investing in for my z30

Posted via CB10
    I don't have my Z30 but I seem to recall there is a built in dust-protector on the back cover. This is something that the Otterbox used to have (at least on the one I had on my old 9700) but they seem to be cheapening out. In those days it also had a dust protector for the keyboard. It was always a bit fussy to get it lined up but I miss having that part of my case on the Classic.
    09-16-15 09:02 PM
    I don't have my Z30 anymore but I seem to recall there is a built in dust-protector on the back cover. This is something that the Otterbox used to have (at least on the one I had on my old 9700) but they seem to be cheapening out. In those days it also had a dust protector for the keyboard. It was always a bit fussy to get it lined up but I miss having that part of my case on the Classic.
    09-16-15 09:03 PM
    I am a farmer, so I get dust dirt rain, and occasional welding sparks as well as oil and grease all over the thing.

That's one of my favorite things about the classic... You can make and receive calls with gloves on. I've had mine since release on Verizon and it's been tough as nails.
    Oh yeah. It's naked so it will fit in pocket out of the way. I would have bought another crack berry case but they didn't offer them for the classic.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-18-15 06:45 AM
    Thought of this post when I saw CB's write-up today... If the OP is still seeking a protective case for their Classic that can handle a craftman's daily environment today's featured Trident Aegis case looks sturdy and there seems to be a discount for now:

http://crackberry.com/save-15-when-y...kberry-classic

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 10:44 AM
    I do a lot of finish construction work. There is a lot of dirt and dust and the best thing I've used to date is a sleeve. Right now I'm using the Classic with the OEM sleeve and it's awesome!

I did the same with my 9900, and still use a sleeve today whether I'm using the Classic or SE (Pdair sleeve for the OG Passport).

Posted via my Classic
    10-08-15 11:48 AM
    BTW, that Trident case looks like a winner for your situation? I might also have to look into that one as well...

Posted via my Classic
    10-08-15 11:49 AM
    Haven't done much stick or gouge in recent decades but still routinely mig, tig, plasma and edm. Welding splatter, cutting slag, grinding debris are very typically ferrous and most phones incorporate magnetic components. Including Classic. Amazing how splatter finds its way into places. Sort of like sand blasting will get sand past bearing seals, etc and into things you'd never dream of... LOL. I've tried keeping phone in ziplock but ferrous dust still collects on the outside of the bag, because of the magnet inside, and literally jumps to the device when removed. Wiping the bag first does little good. Blowing off the bag with compressed air, before opening was most effective for me. Also, blowing off clothing since the phone's magnets can still attract stuff. I'll typically just leave the phone in a safe place while welding and figure to return calls after cleanup. BUT, i'm not welding 40hr weeks so that works for me. Sorry, no real solution i've found. Maybe someone makes a non'magnetic phone but???
    L.berrywiess and lberrywiess like this.
    10-08-15 11:58 AM
    I don't do the work in the shop, but when I'm out there inspecting parts I use the 9900. I have spare parts and it is easy to change vs the Classic. Classic stays in the office.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 05:16 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna call my carrier and see if they will fix the phone if I supply the parts. If not, I'll just upgrade to classic. I never had a problem with speakers before on any of the other models so it just seems odd. My old method would be to run a magnet across the speaker and pull the dust off that way but it don't work with z10. Four phones till this day. I guess I'm a die hard blackberry user. Most would of just bought a tougher phone. It's a shame they don't make a slew of cases like they used to that had dust and debris prevention. Might have to invest in a watch that receives notifications if the classic fails.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 07:15 AM
    IT issued field service guys a ruggedized Casio of some kind, little over a year ago. I only saw them from a distance but looked tough & maybe water & dust resistant? The guys universally hated the devices and complained about how tough the poor things were to "kill off"... What ever that meant... Guess I'll never fit in BIG company environment.

IT followed our lead and Classics are EVERYwhere now. These guys had transitioned directly from 9900s to Casio to Classic. Never had Z's. They do a fair amount of high amp DC stick structural, vessel & pipe stuff. Including overhead. No 8hr/day, but maybe 6-8hr/wk? No chronic reliability issues with their Classics. Fwiw.

Always thought it a shame that BB never made a ruggedized model.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-30-15 at 09:32 AM.
    lberrywiess likes this.
    10-30-15 09:08 AM
    IT issued field service guys a ruggedized Casio of some kind, little over a year ago. I only saw them from a distance but looked tough & maybe water & dust resistant? The guys universally hated the devices and complained about how tough the poor things were to "kill off"... What ever that meant... Guess I'll never fit in BIG company environment.

IT followed our lead and Classics are EVERYwhere now. These guys had transitioned directly from 9900s to Casio to Classic. Never had Z's. They do a fair amount of high amp DC stick structural, vessel & pipe stuff. Including overhead. No 8hr/day, but maybe 6-8hr/wk? No chronic reliability issues with their Classics. Fwiw.

Always thought it a shame that BB never made a ruggedized model.
    A ruggedized, waterproof phone in the same form factor of the Classic would be amazing and would be my phone for sure...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    idssteve and lberrywiess like this.
    10-30-15 01:20 PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna call my carrier and see if they will fix the phone if I supply the parts. If not, I'll just upgrade to classic. I never had a problem with speakers before on any of the other models so it just seems odd. My old method would be to run a magnet across the speaker and pull the dust off that way but it don't work with z10. Four phones till this day. I guess I'm a die hard blackberry user. Most would of just bought a tougher phone. It's a shame they don't make a slew of cases like they used to that had dust and debris prevention. Might have to invest in a watch that receives notifications if the classic fails.

Posted via CB10
    Its super easy to change the speaker.
    Buy the speaker and torx screwdriver online and you are good to go
    Trust me!
    idssteve and lberrywiess like this.
    10-30-15 01:34 PM
    I went with classic. Been through two. The first was software issues. Stuck in reboot. Couldn't fix it and was replaced free of charge. The second one. The screen cracked. Took three drops over period of time. A chip in the screen grew like the ones in car windows. To my surprise unlike the z10. I could still use the the touch screen. None of the phones had cases. They went into my pocket at work occasionally in a metal dust environment. Only one phone had noticeable ear speaker deterioration. But turning down the volume cleared that up. The z10 speakers would not of lasted a week if I carried it around like I did the classic. I can't believe blackberry sees no need for a rugged phone. If the classic was rugged built. I would have it until or if bb10 died. So I'm pretty pleased with the classic. It's a shame that I can't get the case options apple has but ill buy a pebble watch and put the phone in my tool box and see how that works. Hopefully blackberry will still keep the bb10 alive
    Last edited by lberrywiess; 05-06-16 at 02:27 AM.
    05-06-16 02:03 AM