Had a look at the Priv (dummy phone) today at a Wirelesswave store, downtown Toronto. There is a lot to like, but it feels too big and too delicate (maybe because it is so thin). The Classic is just more solid, it can take a beating - I don't have to be nice to it.

So, the Priv form factor is not to my liking. But mixed feelings... I like the idea of an Android operating system and access to current and future apps.

What do other Classic die-hard users think?

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    11-06-15 06:33 PM
    I most def. agree with you here. I went and tested the Priv today and felt that the keyboard is a lot smaller and much more delicate than the Classic. I love my classic and I hope Blackberry keeps up with the updates.

I initially wanted to get the Passport but Verizon doesn't support it. The only reason I might get the Priv is because I need it to work with Uber. Once I don't need Uber anymore i'm jumping straight back on the Classic. Besides that I love my Classic to death.

The camera on the Priv is pretty awesome. Some might say the UI and the hub are a bit crass, but Blackberry will eventually introduce new updates.

If you're going for the Priv, I would most likely recommend it, but don't sell the Classic!

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 07:35 PM
    I'm not much of an app-hungry guy. I have some on my phone, but don't really have any "must-haves" that I don't have access to. My phone is a communication device and for that the keyboard and toolbelt serves me better than a million random apps. But that's just me. It's obviously not the same situation for everyone, but for me the answer is no.

The only thing on the Priv I really wish my Classic had was a better camera.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-06-15 07:36 PM
    It's the start to something good (for me). I'll keep rocking my Classic until an Android powered Classic comes out.
    11-06-15 07:38 PM
    Mehhh... maybe when the price drops...
    I really like my classic... and that's with a touch screen that gets finicky..
    11-06-15 07:40 PM
    I bought a brand new SQC100-4 yesterday off Kijiji. Same model that Shop BlackBerry sells and which supports all the Canadian carriers including Wind. My thinking was that the $250 that I spent would stem the tide of temptation I feel everytime a brand new phone like the Priv comes out and I could wait a while for the price of the Priv to drop as it will inevitably. Something crazy happened. I love this phone! I like the heft, the screen size, the screen quality, the feel of the keyboard.....the overall quality all-of-a-piece feel. I have a Q10, too, and I like it fine but this Classic is really cool beans. Priv in the near future for me? Nope.
    11-06-15 07:54 PM
    The reviews seem mixed. I can't really see leaving my best buddy (my Classic) for more apps. The larger screen is the most tempting feature to me.
    11-06-15 08:05 PM
    I for one, do not welcome our new Google/Android Overlord! I'll be rocking my Classic till it dies, and buy another Classic or another BB10 device.
    mmk1954, bigjman and anon(7057927) like this.
    11-06-15 08:37 PM
    Classic is a ToolBelt device. ToolBelt is WHY we own Classics. Classic is already too tall. I feel no need to sacrifice ToolBelt just to use a taller Priv.

Now, if the keyboard had ToolBelt AND it detached for use like a "remote" on the priv's screen, sort of like 9900 "remotes" to PlayBook... Lol.
    acovey likes this.
    11-07-15 03:40 AM
    I like the concept of a pkb Android device, and really hope BlackBerry found a market here.

For me....it starts out that it's just too big. I know it's now the market standard by parts. Also no toolbelt...well.

I am interested to see how good the pkb will be implemented in the OS. If the do a good job...and BlackBerry releases a Classic like Android device in some time (one can dream), well then we are talking ;-)

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 03:59 AM
    I'll spare you guys the trouble. I bought the Priv yesterday early morning and am returning it today. BB10 OS is a much better OS than Android. The Priv is buggy and you would be very disappointed with the hub on it, speaker is not great and notifications are low. If you want an upgrade get a Passport.
    acovey, anon(7057927) and joewoo like this.
    11-07-15 05:37 AM
    I'm still really happy with my Classic. Like said above for me it's a communication tool and it does that really well. The only reason to get the Priv is for the access to apps that I may find I need in the future, but for right now I have all the apps I need.
    From the exposure I've had with the Android OS, I prefer BB10. I'm sure if I gave it some time I could get used to it, but just don't need to right now.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 05:49 AM
    No as I'm not fond of Android. Will get a Passport SE instead.
    11-07-15 05:59 AM
    Bought the ATT version.

Nothing faster than the 9900

I will switch between the Classic and the Priv but will use the 9900 for my work phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 08:39 AM
    Like reading the reviews but I am not an early adopter of tech. Will wait until next year and see what improvements the phone has and possibly get it cheaper too.

Posted from my Blackberry Classic
    11-07-15 08:52 AM
    Absolutely not. Classic forever

Posted via CB10
    acovey and kevin_233 like this.
    11-07-15 09:48 AM
    Had a look at the Priv (dummy phone) today at a Wirelesswave store, downtown Toronto. There is a lot to like, but it feels too big and too delicate (maybe because it is so thin). The Classic is just more solid, it can take a beating - I don't have to be nice to it.

So, the Priv form factor is not to my liking. But mixed feelings... I like the idea of an Android operating system and access to current and future apps.

What do other Classic die-hard users think?

Well, considering that the Classic was created for a niche market that I am admittedly a part of. The Priv is an interesting device that has created a major buzz on both the android and blackberry communities. I can't see myself parting ways from what I consider one of the best devices that fits my needs. Only the Passport stands above it. I use both, I'm fickle
    Last edited by schlemer; 11-07-15 at 06:49 PM.
    11-07-15 10:04 AM
    I am also part of that niche market that the Classic was designed for. It's not without its faults, but it's the most usable communication device for me.

I am intrigued by the Priv, but not enough to buy it at this point. Maybe in a few months. Still, I don't see myself not using the Classic even then.
    11-07-15 10:33 AM
    Since Chen confirmed that they have a range of products on the way I'll be waiting for a classic with android or just a updated classic.

Love the idea with blackberry and android, but like the form factor with the classic and toolbelt. So ill just wait.

5.4 is to big, classic has the perfect size!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 11:28 AM
    To the OP question!
    NO the priv got the wrong OS, sadly not BlackBerry OS10
    Waiting for the next generation of Classic or may get a Passport for some time, if no other OS10 device going to be released, will get a 2nd or 3rd Classic for sure, sitting out the Android hype easily

PS:
    By the way I love the one handed use with the trackpad and toolbelt, the 2nd generation of the classic only need the spec's from the Passport but the design of the Classic, perfect mobile.
    Who needs a Priv? If we got a Classic or Passport with OS10

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.2.+*
    Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 11-07-15 at 01:56 PM.
    BlackQtCoder, acovey and kevin_233 like this.
    11-07-15 11:49 AM
    I will most likely get the Priv, but I'm hanging onto my Classic as well.
    11-07-15 03:31 PM
    Like reading the reviews but I am not an early adopter of tech. Will wait until next year and see what improvements the phone has and possibly get it cheaper too.

Posted from my Blackberry Classic
    I am in the same boat as you. Next year, if the "bugs" in the Android hub get ironed out and if BlackBerry releases a Classic II with Android* and if cobalt blue is available, I will cave very quickly.

*Classic II running Android has issues, I know. Most apps are not optimized for trackpad and toolbelt. Still, it is the form factor coupled with its robust build that works for me. I have owned a Classic most of this year and I am still loving it.

11-07-15 05:28 PM
    I think I got attached to the pkb form of BlackBerry. if Chen decides to create android powered phone with same form of a classic, I might consider it.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 07:57 PM
    It's the start to something good (for me). I'll keep rocking my Classic until an Android powered Classic comes out.
    This. And I hope it is less cluttered and cleaner than the Priv is. I am fine with the gazillion things going on (Widgets, etc) on my tablet. Just not on my phone. The Priv just seemed so busy. So foreign to how BlackBerry is.

Posted via Classic
    11-07-15 09:10 PM
    Have to say I am Very interested in the Prev likes would be the better camera and possibly a few apps unavailable on Classic however sounds like a lot of bugs to be worked out and especially going to Android there will be would really like to know the devices coming next year from Chen and company now that there is so much interest in the Android devise .
    11-08-15 06:44 AM
130 123 ...