With an sd card you can load all your music locally. No wasted data.

Posted via CB10
    In Louisville ky I get around 40~ down and on unlimited data so never worry about data rates.

Been a big draw for me having all my data off site. I personally don't see a need for local access because I am never without internet
    11-20-14 06:07 PM
    By stream i mean when I navigate to a folder and then open a video inside there are no prompts to download then play or need to download at all it just starts playing. No files are transferred to me locally just plays from the server.
    There's a prompt to download but it doesn't seem to download to locally. It still sits in the cloud unless I want to save it locally.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:10 PM
    In Louisville ky I get around 40~ down and on unlimited data so never worry about data rates.

Been a big draw for me having all my data off site. I personally don't see a need for local access because I am never without internet
    So why is tethering a big deal if data is not an issue.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:11 PM
    OK that helps. Thank you all so much.
    11-20-14 06:12 PM
    I can't confirm if music and video behaves the way you want because I don't have any media stuff on the cloud.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:12 PM
    By stream i mean when I navigate to a folder and then open a video inside there are no prompts to download then play or need to download at all it just starts playing. No files are transferred to me locally just plays from the server.
    Just tried it with my Dropbox or Box in file manager, unfortunately it won't do it the way you described. It will download first before we you can open the file. Even though download takes 1-2 seconds per image (depending on your network speed, it still have to download. And you can flip from picture to picture neither, you have to go back to the directory and click on the next image you want to see.

In directory it show the thumbnails of pictures for the ones already downloaded, for the ones it haven't, it shows an generic thumbnail based on the file type.

Not sure if other apps support the way you prefer.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    11-21-14 08:12 AM
    No idea what to do then.
    11-21-14 09:08 AM
    No idea what to do then.
    I use Flickr, I have put all of my photos and videos there. They give you a TB of storage space and it is designed purposefully for pictures and videos. I am really happy with it, but it could use some better integration. What I do is I use Windows Explorer to access the files on my phone via wifi, (native windows or mac lan networking). I move the files I want from my phone to flickr and add tags, titles, descriptions. This way all my pictures are on a platform that has a ton of dedicated features.

For mp3 streaming, I don't have a good answer because I am happy with just moving what I want to listen to, only takes a minute.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 10:07 AM
    I also email photos to flickr from my phone or I use the pichkari app for BlackBerry App World it is native and really excellent.

Flickr web site for mobile is very decent too.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 10:11 AM
    I keep changing my mind on things.

Let me ask cause now I am considering the local storage option which would have a few advantages far as no NSA or other intrusion.

Would it be possible to use a 128gig SD card in the phone and have the data sync to desktop AND have both drives encrypted? Especially the SD card so if stolen no one has access.

Also wondering if the sync would be setup to sync if files are modified or just sync at certain intervals.

Lastly if that route was possible which off site backup service would be best?

I know I keep changes it up and sorry for that.

You all have been amazing and I hope I don't annoy you all.
    11-21-14 11:43 AM
    Yes, you can put in a 128 SD card and you can encrypt it. BlackBerry has a software that people seem to complain about called Link. I have used it a lot and it works fine for me. It synchs your phone data if it is running on your computer and your WiFi is on on your phone. It synchs both ways so if there is stuff you want on your phone, you put it in the synch folder on the computer. Link also lets you access your computer files if you are away from your computer anywhere. Great for those times when you forgot a file at home and afraid of NSA cloud storage. I am not sure if link will synch modified files, I am thinking it will but have not tried.

BlackBerry recently released a product called Blend that you can go read a lot about now in the blogs. It is only available on the Passport and the latest Porsche but is coming to the rest of BB10 in January.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 12:19 PM
    I keep changing my mind on things.

Let me ask cause now I am considering the local storage option which would have a few advantages far as no NSA or other intrusion.

Would it be possible to use a 128gig SD card in the phone and have the data sync to desktop AND have both drives encrypted? Especially the SD card so if stolen no one has access.

Also wondering if the sync would be setup to sync if files are modified or just sync at certain intervals.

Lastly if that route was possible which off site backup service would be best?

I know I keep changes it up and sorry for that.

You all have been amazing and I hope I don't annoy you all.
    The issue with encryption on sd card is that you want to be careful when using it. This happens during cases of backups and restore. Atleast that's what I've heard from others. So I never encrypt it.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 04:34 PM
    As a Blackberry fanatic, u ain't missing nothing on this side of the fence, lack of apps, unless u count the android ones, which u already have, and they all run fine on your current device I'm sure, it will be hit and miss with blackberry, the OS is smooth and I really like it, other than that it's blackberry

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 06:15 PM
    Been trying to read more on SD card encryption, hope someone has info for me.

128gb SD Card encrypted with Device Key
    Want all file types on the SD Card, pics, videos, songs, text, maybe even *.exe or anything.

1) Is that possible?

2) How does a media card that large being encrypted stand up performance wise?
    Read that shooting videos and pics is slow and laggy?

3) Is it possible to sync the encrypted data PC <-> BB on file modification
    Ex would be editing a LUA file in Sublime and saving if BB is set on WiFi would the SD Card get the new file?

4) Does encrypted data on the card stay somehow encrypted on PC running Win7 NTFS fs?

5) If all the above works can the files or drive on PC be encrypted as well(possibly by a different method) and how would that effect the file syncing?

I am sure most likely none of this can be done and I know little about encryption to know a proper answer.
    11-21-14 08:36 PM
    Pretty much committed to drive this into the ground now.

If I move I want it not to be a secondary phone only want one device.

This has me now considering moving away from android and google all together.
    So want to ask more specific questions.

Currently have 26 contacts in Gmail, a lot I know.
    The appeal however is the sync where if I lost my phone the contacts are saved to the web and can look up info that way
    Also went through a lot of trouble to get nice high res photos for each one.
    Moving to BB I dont recall any off site sync(Not through verizon).

1) Is there a way to do this outside of Google and possibly even have photos of each contact?

Online music library that I have with Google music allows all songs to be also kept off site.

2) Not really a BB specific question but if wanted to move from google music to something else are there options for that
    or at very least if I moved all the files to say Dropbox is there a way to play a folder full of music or anything?

3) Note taking that can be saved to web, similar to Google Keep?

4) Check book app? Basicly a simple register would work, does PNC have a banking app or does the mobile site work well?

5) Reddit, Tapatalk, skype?

6) few other apps would be PDF viewer, BitTorrent apps at all?

7) It was touched on but wanted to so if anyone would give more info on Tethering. Is it done through a VZW stand alone app or is it done through the OS? Again more concerned with VZW hitting me with charges than anything.

Realistically I see myself switching if I can break away from google services and of course if VZW even bothers to carry the device.

Went to VZW, ATT, BestBuy, Sprint, and even called 3-4 more just to see if could touch a Q10 again just to get reacquainted with the platform but everytime they stared at me like I was mad.
    The VZW rep even told me he isnt sure he would let me leave the store with a BB in hand.
    I remember when I called VZW to order my Q10, the service agent was so surprised to hear me ask for one, and asked if I would consider an Android instead. And then asked why I even wanted a BlackBerry ha (not that it bothered me too much).

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 09:37 PM
    Tethering, and Hotspot are free on my VZW plan, but it is one of the new share everything plans, I don't know about your unlimited plan.

Encrypting the SD card encrypts everything on the card. If your phone gets wiped, your card is unreadable, but if someone tries 5 times to unlock your phone, your phone is wiped, and your card data is gone.

As long as you do proper backups it is a good situation.
    11-22-14 08:13 AM
    Asked few posts up about encryption, wanted to ask again if anyone messes with this stuff?

Also wanted to ask separately if anyone knows how much of a performance hit device would take if I encrypted a 128gb SD Card?

Also how stable is something like that? Read horror stories about file corruption.
    11-22-14 06:34 PM
    Asked few posts up about encryption, wanted to ask again if anyone messes with this stuff?

Also wanted to ask separately if anyone knows how much of a performance hit device would take if I encrypted a 128gb SD Card?

Also how stable is something like that? Read horror stories about file corruption.
    Yes, you can encrypt everything:

Android user thinking of moving back to blackberry, many questions.-img_20141123_003513.png

Cannot talk about performance, as I do not use it, but there should be no issues

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 06:36 PM
    I tried out a q10 for a few weeks and my experience was not great. I rely on google apps for a lot of different things. Specially drive, google chrome browser and gmail app.

At the time simple things were missing from the os. Couldn't get over not being able to click phones numbers from the browser.

BBQ classic interest me because of the trackpad but it would be a used device if I ever try again.
    11-22-14 09:38 PM
    For what it's worth, I store video files on my remote PC and access them from the blackberry file manager (via Link). They stream without downloading first. The remote PC feature is outstanding (I even have an external hard drive plugged into the remote PC that is mapped to my BlackBerry). I've not tried to do the same from anywhere else.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    mikegcox likes this.
    11-22-14 11:16 PM
    Thinking about few different options but not use to always on home PC and worried about no offsite backup of PC and stolen then all is lost forever.
    11-22-14 11:18 PM
    Really? Why have I never tried this? I have the same setup, Qnap in the basement mapped to my PC. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 08:01 AM
    Thinking about few different options but not use to always on home PC and worried about no offsite backup of PC and stolen then all is lost forever.
    You could back up video and pics on your PC to the cloud or offline drives regularly. Most people should do this anyway. It's risky not to have any backup at all, even for cloud.

What if your cloud gets hacked, as happened to hapless Jennifer Lawrence?
    11-23-14 08:21 AM
    The fappening was a good day for reddit users but aside from that I don't know what is wrong with me.

I feel like this should be simple but just isn't. Yeah I don't like the thought of NSA monitoring me but I dislike thought of rouge cloud employee or hacker more.

I looked into boxcryptor and seemed promising but then read how keys are stored on there servers so that scared me off.

As of right now my drive has no personal files on it and trying out crashplan service to see how it is.
    No idea if that will last long though.

Seems everything I read is imperfect and always someone complaining about it.
    11-23-14 11:02 AM
    For what it's worth, I store video files on my remote PC and access them from the blackberry file manager (via Link). They stream without downloading first. The remote PC feature is outstanding (I even have an external hard drive plugged into the remote PC that is mapped to my BlackBerry). I've not tried to do the same from anywhere else.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    A bit off topic, but thanks again for this. I just installed Link on my always-on PC and mapped all my media files to it. Now I can use my Q10 to play the videos stored on my Qnap projected onto the wall of my bedroom via HDMI.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 11:08 AM
112 ... 2345