So, I don't currently own a BB10 device but I'm currently, HEAVILY, looking at the Classic.

Why?

I need a device that has a physical keyboard and the trackpad to move around the cursor.

Why?

I need to do some typing, some serious typing. Which is why it would be great to hear from some Classic owners who do a lot of typing. Specifically, what I'm looking to do is write out my stories. Been working on a novel for the longest, mostly on desktop/laptop but I need to be mobile too, it's just more convenient if I could whip out the phone and start plugging away right where I left off the last time. I do have a iPhone right now but using Microsoft Word/One Drive isn't a great experience for me. When the file gets big enough, you have to wait for it to download to the phone each time you want to edit and then it has to upload every time you want it to save. Also, while I'm proficient typing on glass, doing this for a long period of time does cause more errors than I care to deal with.

So, on the Classic, I'm wondering if the syncing/editing of documents with Dropbox is fairly quick and a solution some people use? My thought process was that the Classic comes with Docs To Go, so I'm covered for Microsoft Word and then I would edit documents and then just save to Dropbox when done. Of course I would have access to these files on desktop/laptop if needed.

So can anyone chime in? Anyone doing this or something like this and can give their experience? Would love to hear. Just might compel me to pick it up today! lol
    03-17-16 10:41 AM
    I think classic will be so suitable for you whereas you could save your novels in multiple places like SD card, USD OTG and of course Cloud storage easily
    Advice Needed from Serial Typists (Classic Owners)-img_20160317_195428.png

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 11:06 AM
    I think the classic would work out for you. As stated above an SD card might work the best because then you wouldn't have to worry about a data connection.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 11:46 AM
    If your typing out a novel and need super fast, pin point accuracy, you will not go wrong with the classic. I use it to type up multiple page papers for school and for typing up professional emails. You can't beat the classic with the toolbelt for that. You can save the file into dropbox or your card and move from device to device without having to worry about corrupting or erasing your file.

I'm actually typing a paper that's due next week and the only reason I don't have my classic with me right now is I charged the Passport when I meant to charge the Classic.

You can find Classics for less then 200 on Amazon. Do it. You won't be disappointed if your main purpose is to type.

Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    03-17-16 12:27 PM
    Classic is awesome. You won't be disappointed.

Posted via CB10 with my  Classic.
    03-17-16 12:35 PM
    I do allot of typing on the Q10 and save files to a SD card. The pkb enables more accurate typing. With long sessions on a pkb your thumbs may tire a bit until you build up the Blackberry thumb muscles. Overall a super handy and convenient method for typing though.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 12:42 PM
    You are going to LOVE the classic.
    As one screenshot above shows, you can easily transfer them to dropbox or box.

One thing that no one mentioned yet, is the USB OTG.

If your files end up getting seriously large, and you don't want to transfer that data over the air, then you should buy a USB On The Go dongle.
    Plug one end into your USB port on the phone, then you can plug USB flash drives or hard drives into the other end. (see screenshot of my file manager showing USB device)

...I haven't tested it yet, but I believe you can also plug USB keyboards into the dongle, and then use that on the phone.
    Advice Needed from Serial Typists (Classic Owners)-img_20160317_124512.png

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 01:46 PM
    So, I don't currently own a BB10 device but I'm currently, HEAVILY, looking at the Classic.

Why?

I need a device that has a physical keyboard and the trackpad to move around the cursor.

Why?

I need to do some typing, some serious typing. Which is why it would be great to hear from some Classic owners who do a lot of typing. Specifically, what I'm looking to do is write out my stories. Been working on a novel for the longest, mostly on desktop/laptop but I need to be mobile too, it's just more convenient if I could whip out the phone and start plugging away right where I left off the last time. I do have a iPhone right now but using Microsoft Word/One Drive isn't a great experience for me. When the file gets big enough, you have to wait for it to download to the phone each time you want to edit and then it has to upload every time you want it to save. Also, while I'm proficient typing on glass, doing this for a long period of time does cause more errors than I care to deal with.

So, on the Classic, I'm wondering if the syncing/editing of documents with Dropbox is fairly quick and a solution some people use? My thought process was that the Classic comes with Docs To Go, so I'm covered for Microsoft Word and then I would edit documents and then just save to Dropbox when done. Of course I would have access to these files on desktop/laptop if needed.

So can anyone chime in? Anyone doing this or something like this and can give their experience? Would love to hear. Just might compel me to pick it up today! lol
    You're right, the Classic comes with Docs To Go. PPT and Microsoft Word on the device can be used with grace. The documents can easily be edited and stored wherever you wish to. Docs To Go on the Classic is possibly the best for any smartphone yet.

The physical keypad on the BlackBerry Classic is probably the best for any phone ever. I'm a blogger and I write occasionally myself, and the keypad only provokes you to type even more! And just for extra info, you won't really miss out on most of the android apps either. Majority of them are there. Good luck with your decision.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-17-16 02:13 PM
    You can add your evernote account to your phone and you can sync your notes easily that way. Won't be actual documents, but you can probably separate your novel into chapters and type them into synced notes between the Windows app and your phone. I already do that for notes, but don't know how it would behave with a much larger file...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-17-16 03:58 PM
    I've used the Classic, and previously the Bold series, for a similar purpose (e.g. heavy typing). I can honestly say that this form factor works very well for this purpose and I have never been able to achieve a similar quality experience using a touchscreen based device.

I also use OneDrive with my Classic - if you use One Drive, you can get the BB10 OneDrive app and access all your stuff directly from the file manager. I have never had problems with connection lag or sync lag, but if you experience any lag issues when typing or saving, you can just copy off OneDrive to the local memory, and copy back when you're done.
    03-18-16 03:21 PM
    If this thread hasn't convinced the OP that the classic is worth buying, nothing will.

I'm telling you OP, I had the Passport and was hesitant to buy the classic. I'm glad I did and it's pretty much my daily driver. I prefer the keys over the PP. The tool belt is something that can't be beat. For me, physical buttons trump virtual any day. To me it's more accurate and for what you are going to use it for, you need that accuracy. The Passport has a better, bigger screen, but the track pad will get you where you need to go quicker and more precise than a touch enabled keyboard ever will.

Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2789
    03-18-16 04:25 PM
    Another fun point that hasn't been mentioned: you can access files on your computer from your Classic, provided your computer is on. Can be really useful.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 04:34 PM
    You will not be disappointed!

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 07:15 PM
    HIGHLY recommend the Classic. I only stay with BlackBerry because of the physical keyboard and find that my typing is very accurate with this phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 07:25 PM
    Agree with everything above - I've just started to get into blogging and it's great that you can type up posts/thoughts, etc easily - and then copy it onto Evernote/SD card/Dropbox, etc - especially when (in London) you're on the Underground with no signal or WiFi!

Follow me on Twitter @OMGitsRLR / BBM @ 2C1C340C / Proudly Posted via My PERFECT Blue BlackBerry Classic!
    03-21-16 07:29 AM
    Another fun point that hasn't been mentioned: you can access files on your computer from your Classic, provided your computer is on. Can be really useful.

Posted via CB10
    THIS is the reason that I haven't switched to the Priv yet!!!

There was all that debate over the file manager in BB10 and how there are 'other' and 'better' options available in Google Play Store. However, people who thought that clearly did not use the remote file access in the BB10 file manager.

It allows you to access all of your computer files from anywhere as long as your computer is on. This means that wherever you go, your files are just as accessible as if your phone is plugged into your computer - no cloud storage needed. Simply awesome and it can't get more secure than that. Edit the file on the go and save it in its original location.

As for the typing experience on the Classic, I agree that it is amazing. However, I actually found myself even faster on the Passport. For me, the difference is in the tool belt and the efficient editing capabilities that it provides. This makes all the difference to me and is probably why the Classic is my daily driver and my Passport is my stay-at-home tablet these days.
    03-21-16 07:55 AM
    OP, the only question you really have to ask yourself is "why shouldn't I buy this phone"? Your not going to regret it. You have multiple options for your typing needs. The file manager and remote access is second to none. You have access to Dropbox and evernote should you ever want to flip back and forth and don't have to type solely on your phone, computer, or tablet.

I personally bought the classic for its pocketability, toolbelt, and smaller keyboard when compared to the Passport. It's literally been a god send for me. I'm more accurate than when I'm typing on the Passport and a million times more accurate than typing on glass.

I, like you, need to be able to type without many mistakes and the classic does that for me and I'm sure it will do it for you. You just have to commit and forget about what all the naysayers say about BlackBerry and their OS.

Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2789
    03-21-16 10:02 AM