Hi all,

As of about 3 weeks ago I haven't been able to play any videos from youtube for more than about 1 minute before the stream stops and I get the error "An error has occurred attempting to play media". I had been running OS 7.1.0.378 when this started. On Saturday, I wiped my phone, and then installed OS 7.1.0.746, but unfortunately the problem is still there! No amount of rebooting helps! I often tether my laptop to my bb using bluetooth, and viewing youtube videos over my bb wireless connection works perfectly. Its only if I try to watch directly from the phone.

Is anyone else having the same issue? I have searched the forums but there have been no answers that apply to 2012 (e.g.: one answer was to change some youtube mobile settings that no longer exist on youtube's mobile site).

FYI: I'm on Rogers in Canada. Anyone else having this issue? Anyone else on Rogers having the issue?

Am I the only one?

Thanks,

-mnc
    11-27-12 05:16 PM
    Same issue with Fido...I'm on the phone waiting for tech support at the moment. Got sent to Rogers, so I'll keep you posted.

For my diagnostic steps, see this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...doesnt-753869/
    11-27-12 07:57 PM
    Okay, so after an hour on hold, getting punted around from person to person, I finally spoke with a tech support rep at Fido. I told them all the diagnostic steps I had taken and that I concluded it was a carrier specific issue, coming into play for only the mobile youtube site. All they could say was that their systems all seemed to be functioning normally, and they didn't know why I could receive all others kinds of data but not youtube. I also let them know that there were other Rogers/Fido users having the same problem. They ended up resetting something, but it did nothing.

I had the thought that maybe there was some app interfering, but the same problem is there in Safe Mode.

Sigh.
    11-28-12 12:08 AM
    As you say, most of the times, when youtube is not playing, is either your carrier, or bandwidth speed.
    11-28-12 09:06 AM
    Thanks for the responses deltact and theblackberrier. The weird thing is that youtube works for me when its embedded in a web page, but doesn't work if viewed when I click the "view on youtube" button in the lower right corner or from the youtube mobile site.

I'm certain its a Rogers issue: I've tested this on 3 videos so far now. *All* play from start to finish when my BB is connected to my home WIFI only. *All* fail at 1 minute, 19 seconds when connected to Rogers only.

I'm 99% certain its not a bandwidth issue since I can stream *the same videos* on my laptop using my BB's bluetooth tethering with my BB connected to Rogers.

I will call them later today and report back. Hopefully I can get some higher level tech support.
    11-30-12 09:02 AM
    FYI: From herein I continue posting on the thread "YouTube was working great! Now it doesn't ...".

Cheers,

-mike
    11-30-12 09:04 AM
    That's crazy - my videos all fail at exactly the same time, 1:19! Please keep us posted. I should call back again, maybe if enough of us keep harassing them, they'll look into it. I suspect it's some low level configuration change they made...maybe part of BB10 testing?

Which part of the country are you in?
    11-30-12 10:57 PM
    Also on Rogers, videos also die out after about a minute with same error. I have APN settings turned on as I always have, but lately been having this problem out of no-where. Did an OS upgrade recently to Rogers' latest, maybe that's the issue.
    12-01-12 07:08 PM
    Also on Rogers, videos also die out after about a minute with same error. I have APN settings turned on as I always have, but lately been having this problem out of no-where. Did an OS upgrade recently to Rogers' latest, maybe that's the issue.
    I don't think it's an OS issue because I upgraded to a new OS a long while before things got weird.
    12-02-12 03:25 PM
    Hi all. I've posted my results from calling Rogers here: YouTube was working great! Now it doesn't ....

I suggest we consolidate this issue into as few threads as possible (my fault for not doing a more thorough search for this issue before I posted :/ ).

Cheers,

-mike
    12-06-12 05:53 PM
    I have a blackberry 9900 and am on the Rogers network as well and am also having this error message when trying to play videos via youtube. It's been happening for about 1-2 months I think. Any one successfully find a solution yet?
    12-14-12 08:45 PM
    When I was on .284 I would get this error a lot when using wifi. Never with it turned off.

Sent from my game boy color
    12-15-12 12:11 AM
    Of the manybb I've used in my life, this is the first time I am getting this error message... Its so frustrating been happening for the past 2 months.

I am using a Bold 9900 and a 9810 - Same carrier, Same OS and same errors

Could it be a hardware defect on both phones? or a software issue?

What a waste - have a 6GB data plan too.

Maybe time to jump ship and go iphone... This is terrible.
    01-13-13 03:02 PM
    Hey everyone! Looks like the Youtube issue has been solved! I got the following text message from Rogers today, and after doing a battery-pull I've been able to finally break the the 1:19 barrier!!

Hello, this is a message from Rogers. We are pleased to report that your wireless ticket# CT0... is resolved. Please call 1-888-764-3771 or log on to wireless.rogers.com if you need more help.

So do a battery pull and post if the issue has also been resolved for you or if you're still having it.

I will post again if things start acting up again, but so far so good!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-18-13 05:25 AM
    Still getting the error. On Rogers and running latest official OS .825 (that came out today).
    01-18-13 12:09 PM
    Oh, that is disappointing!

Did you do a battery pull? After getting the text from Rogers saying youtube was fixed, I continued to get errors until I did a battery pull.

Also, what phone do you have? Is the OS version you have the latest OS *officially supported by Rogers*?

I have a Torch 9810, and the latest supported OS is 7.1.0.746 (bundle 2108).

Although its just grasping at straws, it may make sense to install the OS version officially supported by Rogers for your phone. (This, of course, assumes that the version you currently have installed is not already the official supported version)

Cheers

01-18-13 04:56 PM
    Crap!

It stopped working for me too

Getting the exact same error again

Video stops at exactly 1 minute 19 seconds.

WTF!?!

01-20-13 08:29 PM
    This is a KNOWN problem and RIM and youtube are working to get the services back up ASAP. There is nothing we can do, nothing rogers/fido can do and for now, nothing RIM or Youtube can do either except investigate the issue. There may be an update once the issue is resolved. In the meantime, were stuck waiting
    i just got off the phone with rogers to get an update. their systems has a posting from RIM as of jan 9th stating all 7.1 OS based blackberrys will experience this issue and no ETA on resolution.
    01-20-13 08:54 PM
    This issue is really becoming aggravating. Several times now when I try to stream a video it is having this error.
    More then a few times it has lead to a embarrassing moment. I try to show someone a video from my BB, only to have a error 1:19 into it. Every time only to be told, "if you didnt have a BB you could watch the whole video."
    Bah, hurry up and sort this out Rogers and RIM!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CB App!
    01-21-13 06:41 PM
    Maybe it all has something to do with their servers being set up for BB10 devices or something and that's why they explain so little and have no ETA.
    01-21-13 06:45 PM
    Maybe it all has something to do with their servers being set up for BB10 devices or something and that's why they explain so little and have no ETA.
    has nothign to do with BB10, because if it was then why do all other providers with 9900s have no issues. its only rogers servers that are having issues. and they don't setup servers for 1 type of device.
    01-21-13 08:33 PM
    I didn't say they were setting up brand new servers for one device. I meant they're working on their current servers.

Excuse me if I don't have all the answers. I was making a suggestion. You got something better to add?
    01-21-13 08:51 PM
    I didn't say they were setting up brand new servers for one device. I meant they're working on their current servers.

Excuse me if I don't have all the answers. I was making a suggestion. You got something better to add?
    wasn't trying to be rude. sorry if you took it that way. but i've got a few friends high up in rogers and this is more along the lines of protocol change for LTE, for other devices and just because it goes through RIM is the issue
    01-21-13 09:32 PM
    I like how RIM is trying to help us cut down on data use by compressing things before they hit our phones, but I think it should be the users choice. If I wanna watch HQ vids on the Net and run through my data, that's my choice. The 9900 has very crisp screen considering its size. I'd like to use it to its fullest potential.
    01-21-13 10:20 PM
    Not sure if its a data compression issue or even an OS 7.1 issue as it worked fine on OS 7.1 up until maybe October/November for me.

Then the 1 minute 19 problem appeared seemingly out of nowhere >.<

01-23-13 04:18 PM
42 12