Saw this when I went to check my e-mail this evening. It is under the Yahoo Shopping umbrella and was on the front page carousel of Yahoo.com, but it is actually an article by The Street, so I edited my title appropriately.

5 Best Cell Phones Doomed to be Collectible - Yahoo! Shopping

#2 : RIM BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900

BlackBerry fans proved to be a far more loyal group than one would have expected. While other phones got touchscreens and smarter application processors, Research In Motion kept cranking out aging Bolds and Curves.

The addictive BlackBerry e-mail and messenger service helped keep people interested and bought RIM some time as it put together a new generation of phones built around the QNX operating system.

But between the maturing BlackBerry 6 operating system of yesterday and QNX of next year is an awkward spot that RIM hopes to fill with the touchscreen Bold.

The Bold 9900 is a beautiful BlackBerry with a full-powered 1-gigahertz processor, a familiar keypad and a gesture reading touchscreen. The problem: Even though it won't arrive until later this summer, it's already been eclipsed by the promise of fully-functioning QNX devices next year.

The Bold 9900: destined to be a lovely end-of-the-line.
    The others:

#5 : Garminfone
    #4 : Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
    #3 : Palm Pre
    #1 : Nokia N9
    Last edited by Moo Cow; 07-22-11 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Corrected attribution for the article.
    07-22-11 12:01 AM
    I would agree with this. I honestly don't know why anyone would buy the 9900. Won't run QNX stuff (as I understand it). Nothing really that great about the specs or features. Most of the features my 9780 already has. Kinda like iPhone 3gs and iPhone 3. Don't really get it.
    mssca likes this.
    07-22-11 12:05 AM
    I don't know what they're expecting. It's not like any phone will last a year before becoming "outdated" anyways. Besides, the 9900 is a big step up in terms of specs, compared to say the 9700 and 9780.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-22-11 12:12 AM
    And.....I will get the next generation with QNX, but what does that have to do with the 9930....I need a phone until then, and the 9650 ain't cutting it no more.....
    Apple Crumble likes this.
    07-22-11 12:16 AM
    And.....I will get the next generation with QNX, but what does that have to do with the 9930....I need a phone until then, and the 9650 ain't cutting it no more.....
    I think the questions are how long will it be until QNX comes out? And how long is that window between the 9900 release and the QNX release? If there is a decent enough window -- keeping in mind stateside you have 2-year contracts typically and Canada has 3 -- then there is no issue. But if you buy a 9900 and in less than a year the QNX products are out, then I can see where the issue would be. From a consumer standpoint, you're getting a phone that will be outdated very quickly. I understand in this day and age, technology is virtually outdated the day it's bought, but most definitely why buy something when you *know* that there is definitely for sure a better product on the horizon?

Then again, we know RIM has a history of pushing back releases, too, so what is projected for QNX may not happen.

Either way, I can definitely see your side, and see the other side of the argument, too. It just depends on what RIM does and how things go through.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-11 12:24 AM
    but most definitely why buy something when you *know* that there is definitely for sure a better product on the horizon?
    By this logic, we would all be using Motorola brick phones right now. We always "know" something better is coming soon.

Then again, we know RIM has a history of pushing back releases, too, so what is projected for QNX may not happen.
    This actually makes sense! RIM is, and has, been slow at releasing things when they say they will. Is there any indication this will change in the future? I don't think so... I know I'll be getting the 9930 the day it drops, and if I have to in a year I'll sell it to get a QNX phone. I have a feeling I'll be able to wait for a QNX phone for my next upgrade though. RIM will probably deny next year that they even said QNX phones are on the way.
    Moo Cow likes this.
    07-22-11 12:37 AM
    By this logic, we would all be using Motorola brick phones right now. We always "know" something better is coming soon.

This actually makes sense! RIM is, and has, been slow at releasing things when they say they will. Is there any indication this will change in the future? I don't think so... I know I'll be getting the 9930 the day it drops, and if I have to in a year I'll sell it to get a QNX phone. I have a feeling I'll be able to wait for a QNX phone for my next upgrade though. RIM will probably deny next year that they even said QNX phones are on the way.
    Let me clarify my comment that you took issue with: When you buy technology, you know it will eventually be outdated because something good and/or something better is bound to come out eventually. My point is when you own Product A, and you already know Product C is coming out relatively soon, what is the incentive to get Product B?

But again, all that is a wash if QNX doesn't come out in a reasonable time frame currently projected -- meaning in my last paragraph, the idea of Product C coming out relatively soon is thus false. Therefore, what you said later in your post may very well ring true. We will definitely have to wait and see I suppose.

Anyway I hope that clears up what my point was supposed to be.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    07-22-11 12:43 AM
    That Yahoo article will look pretty dumb when the 9900/9930 sells like crazy for all of us (current, former, or first time) BlackBerry owners that have wanted the touchscreen/ full keyboard/non slider experience. But will there be an article about how it surprised everyone by how well it sold? Nope. Because that's how RIM does their media, and how media does RIM: under the radar (unless it's bad news, in which case, everyone is quick to jump on the "RIM is dead" bandwagon).
    07-22-11 12:58 AM
    Moo Cow, I completely understand what you're saying, I did from the start, it does make sense. But that's not how our materialistic society works, we always want the next best thing, even if we know something better is coming along.

You buy product B because it's the new greatest thing out there. Why use old technology when you can have the new stuff now? Owning product A, B, C, D, E... is what we all desire, and what most end up doing (well, at least the tech lovers like us).

Take iToy users for an example. They know god Steve is going to release a new phone every year. They know Steve will claim it's a new evolution in phones, and that last years model is old, outdated news. But these people still buy the new one every year even though they have 2 (USA) or 3 (CAN) year contracts. Does it make sense? Not even a little, but we do it anyway...

I for one, don't see any of these QNX based "superphones" being available at all in 2012. If they're going to be that "super" it will take RIM much longer than they say, like always...
    Moo Cow likes this.
    07-22-11 01:10 AM
    Oh want to add a comment about the article. Does anyone actually read and/or use Yahoo anymore?

I didn't think they were still around and relevant.
    SK122387 likes this.
    07-22-11 01:13 AM

I've been eligible for an upgrade since May. I am going to pass on the 9900. I do not want to be stuck in 2 year contract with an obsolete device that cannot run QNX with a year or more left on my contract. The resale value of the 9900 will probably tank once the QNX devices are out.

I see the 9900/9930 being one and done re: the OS, like the Storm 2 OS.

I'll stay with OS 6 until QNX is available. OS 7, being one and done, is not worth wasting an upgrade.
    07-22-11 01:14 AM
    I've been eligible for an upgrade since May. I am going to pass on the 9900. I do not want to be stuck in 2 year contract with an obsolete device that cannot run QNX with a year or more left on my contract. The resale value of the 9900 will probably tank once the QNX devices are out.

I see the 9900/9930 being one and done re: the OS, like the Storm 2 OS.

I'll stay with OS 6 until QNX is available. OS 7, being one and done, is not worth wasting an upgrade.
    Here's how I look at it:

The 99XX will be worth at least a couple hundred bucks when QNX phones come out in a year or so. Look at old 83XX's, they're still going for almost a hundred bucks now, and those are WAY outdated. 9630's are still a good price even though the 9650 is basically the same phone add a few upgrades.

So I'll use my upgrade to get the 9930, sell it when QNX phones drop, then buy one at full price. Would probably end up being about the same price as an upgrade then ($200-300). That way when RIM gets all the kinks out and releases the 2nd version of QNX superphones (whatever "super" means) I'll have another upgrade available to get one.

At least that's how I see it...
    07-22-11 01:29 AM
    Here's how I look at it:

The 99XX will be worth at least a couple hundred bucks when QNX phones come out in a year or so. Look at old 83XX's, they're still going for almost a hundred bucks now, and those are WAY outdated. 9630's are still a good price even though the 9650 is basically the same phone add a few upgrades.

So I'll use my upgrade to get the 9930, sell it when QNX phones drop, then buy one at full price. Would probably end up being about the same price as an upgrade then ($200-300). That way when RIM gets all the kinks out and releases the 2nd version of QNX superphones (whatever "super" means) I'll have another upgrade available to get one.

That might work.
    07-22-11 01:35 AM
    Why does every one think the 99x0s won't ruin QNX? They have the necessary hardware.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    07-22-11 01:37 AM
    Why does every one think the 99x0s won't ruin QNX? They have the necessary hardware.

It was mentioned that dual-core processors were necessary to run QNX.

Perhaps that is not the case. However, I do not trust RIM's co-ceos to state anything that is true, based on their performance in the past year.

I'll believe it when I see it, not when I hear Mike L. or Jim B. say something.
    ridesno159 and bhavi_jp like this.
    07-22-11 01:41 AM
    Will your 9900 miraculously stop working the day that the QNX phones come out, or continue to function exactly as advertised?!

sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-22-11 01:43 AM

Because it's RIM we're talking about. They do many things that are difficult to explain...
    07-22-11 01:43 AM
    Will your 9900 miraculously stop working the day that the QNX phones come out, or continue to function exactly as advertised?!

Probably function as advertised, but not be upgradeable. The Storm 2 still works, but OS 5 is all it ever got, and all it ever will get.
    07-22-11 01:45 AM
    Here's how I look at it:

Another thing I've noticed, just from checking eBay/Craigslist and other places, is that about the only phones that really hold their value are iPhones. Those can be sold for a decent price. Used BlackBerry and Android devices really depreciate.
    07-22-11 01:47 AM
    Oh want to add a comment about the article. Does anyone actually read and/or use Yahoo anymore?

I didn't think they were still around and relevant.
    Probably quite a few people, since Yahoo is the home page for several ISPs. For instance, if one has AT&T as his ISP, he gets the Yahoo content. If one has Verizon as his ISP, he gets to choose Verizon Yahoo or Verizon MSN.
    ridesno159 likes this.
    07-22-11 01:52 AM
    Another thing I've noticed, just from checking eBay/Craigslist and other places, is that about the only phones that really hold their value are iPhones. Those can be sold for a decent price. Used BlackBerry and Android devices really depreciate.
    Completely agree!!!

But, I had zero issue selling my Storm 2 for $200 this past February on Craigslist. I also sold my mom's Droid Eris a couple months ago for a hundred bucks. The girl I sold it to was ecstatic about getting such a good price for it. The thing was in perfect condition, but the thing was old and a POS.

It can be a pain to sell phones, but with some time and patience to let the low-ball offers go it can be great. My Bold will be going up on Craigslist once I get my 9930, will hopefully pay for the upgrade price I'll pay, I hope...
    07-22-11 02:00 AM
    You know, I don't play the blasted waiting game. I set my account up to roll around annually so that I can upgrade devices to my choosing. I don't play the whimsy game, I use what I please when I'm ready and don't wait for the 'next best thing'.

The latest batch of BlackBerrys will probably be pretty popular. When QNX, 4G, and such rolls around, we'll see if it changes the game.

Meanwhile, dangit, I'm gonna be happy with what friggin' works. And if the world is waiting with bated breath for a 'superphone', that's their problem.

Someone better look out for when the pocket microwave comes out, it'll make all those big boxes obsolete in a day.

07-22-11 02:16 AM
    I would agree with this. I honestly don't know why anyone would buy the 9900. Won't run QNX stuff (as I understand it). Nothing really that great about the specs or features. Most of the features my 9780 already has. Kinda like iPhone 3gs and iPhone 3. Don't really get it.
    You really think the 9900 from 9780 is like the iPhone 3GS from iPhone 3G?
    That's really odd. It's a totally different form factor with stainless steel frame, different screen size, touch screen, twice the CPU, much higher resolution, NFC, HD recording, more ram. Definitely more like an iPhone 4 from iPhone 3GS.

The 3GS added a tiny bit more CPU and an extra megapixel. If anything it's more like the 9780 from the 9700.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-22-11 05:11 AM
    You really think the 9900 from 9780 is like the iPhone 3GS from iPhone 3G?
    That's really odd. It's a totally different form factor with stainless steel frame, different screen size, touch screen, twice the CPU, much higher resolution, NFC, HD recording, more ram. Definitely more like an iPhone 4 from iPhone 3GS.

The 3GS added a tiny bit more CPU and an extra megapixel. If anything it's more like the 9780 from the 9700.
    Yes I really do think it is like the iPhone 3 to iPhone 3GS. Totally new form factor? Don't think so. They took a bold 9000 and made it a bit thinner. Touchscreen? About time. NFC? That is new. Hd video? About time (albeit a year late). The 9900 should have been released a year ago to compete with ip4. The other stuff you list are specs that make it faster like the iPhone 3 to 3GS. If it weren't for apple, rim would have gave us another phone with slower processor than 1.2 ghz.

I really am pulling for rim but doesn't seem like they are even trying to keep up with the times with this 9900 release. Probably one of the reasons you see so many rim fans (myself included) finally throwing the towel in and considering making the move to ip5.
    07-22-11 06:12 AM
    Its just like the one commercial that was running a month or so ago, in which it shows consumers being told that their "latest and greatest" device is already obsolete. I work in data and storage and right now we are seeing how quickly everything changes. One example is one storage device started out as 800GB during initial design and that chipset went obsolete, in less than 6 months, so it got bumped to 1TB. Buy a phone that you like and works for you, its not like once the QNX phones hit the market, your 9900/9930 is just going to shut off and never make another call.
    07-22-11 06:29 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD