First, would be possible to turn off "Touch Screen" functionality?

Second, would it even make sense to do this, if I simply wanted to use the phone as if it were, say, a non-touch-screen device?
    04-07-11 11:57 AM
    Is this a real question?

Why not just not touch the screen? The phone has a keyboard and trackpad, there's no reason to use the screen unless you want to...
    04-07-11 12:43 PM
    Is this a real question?

Why not just not touch the screen? The phone has a keyboard and trackpad, there's no reason to use the screen unless you want to...
    True, I assume then that the phone has full functionality without using the touchscreen? One reason to turn off "touch screen" would be to avoid phone actions from accidental pressing of screen.
    04-07-11 12:45 PM
    I would really like that too!
    04-07-11 12:52 PM
    It is something that they can probably simply add through a software update.. I would honestly assume they would not do it because they probably figure "we put a touch screen on a bold so if you want it, buy it.. if you dont want a touch screen than obviously you would just buy a different phone" I mean it sounds stupid, but did they ever think about adding that functionality to the torch? obviously no, because that was the selling point "touch screen" so those who did not want a touch screen simply did not buy it.

Bottom line, they could always implement it, but I honestly think that they won't address that concern at all because in their eyes they see it as "im selling you a nice car with a great sound system worth just as much as the car" those who want the sound system are attracted to the car, those who are not, look elsewhere. why would someone buy the car to just take the sound system out and use the car as is. They are making this phone to appeal to many of their customers, and those who do not like the touch screen will probably just end up buying the curve or something.

But I guess I wont go and say they will never throw in the feature because it is of course possible, In my opinion, I just feel that it is highly unlikely. I do believe that it wouldn't hurt anyone if they did put that feature in, but I just honestly believe that implementing that feature is probably one of the last things on their mind.
    04-07-11 01:22 PM
    Seriously, do not buy a touchscreen phone if you are so hellbent on completely disabling the touchscreen...

If someone makes an app assuming that you can touch the screen on a device with a touchscreen, there's a possibility that something might not work if you disable it...

This would mean that any touchscreen device application would have to be developed front-to-back both as if the touchscreen does or does not exist, which is pointless...
    Big_Ern likes this.
    04-07-11 01:28 PM
    All good points. I was mostly curious. I do not plan on buying this phone for reasons other than what I posted.
    04-07-11 01:31 PM
    Also there's a large number of customer service reasons this would not be allowed...

If RIM allows applications to disable the touchscreen globally, apps can essentially "break" your phone if they do something incorrectly.

If RIM allows the option to disable the touchscreen globally, they get a bunch of CS calls from people not knowing why their touchscreen phone doesn't have a working touchscreen because they don't understand the options.
    04-07-11 01:36 PM
    It is something that they can probably simply add through a software update.. I would honestly assume they would not do it because they probably figure "we put a touch screen on a bold so if you want it, buy it.. if you dont want a touch screen than obviously you would just buy a different phone" I mean it sounds stupid, but did they ever think about adding that functionality to the torch? obviously no, because that was the selling point "touch screen" so those who did not want a touch screen simply did not buy it.

Bottom line, they could always implement it, but I honestly think that they won't address that concern at all because in their eyes they see it as "im selling you a nice car with a great sound system worth just as much as the car" those who want the sound system are attracted to the car, those who are not, look elsewhere. why would someone buy the car to just take the sound system out and use the car as is. They are making this phone to appeal to many of their customers, and those who do not like the touch screen will probably just end up buying the curve or something.

But I guess I wont go and say they will never throw in the feature because it is of course possible, In my opinion, I just feel that it is highly unlikely. I do believe that it wouldn't hurt anyone if they did put that feature in, but I just honestly believe that implementing that feature is probably one of the last things on their mind.
    Point is though, the torch is more like a touch screen phone... with an additional physical keyboard. And the new bold is like a physical keyboard phone... with an additional touch screen.

- There's ya difference.

I think the ability to turn of off would bs good, but I would not use it. Some people might and I can completely see why.

And the reason why people would buy this phone and turn the touch off is because of all the other amazing features. If this phone didn't have a touch screen.. I would still buy it anyday over the 9780. Better screen, thinner, faster, better battery... the touch screen is obviously the biggest selling point, but it's really not the only selling point.
    04-07-11 01:51 PM
    Point is though, the torch is more like a touch screen phone... with an additional physical keyboard. And the new bold is like a physical keyboard phone... with an additional touch screen.

- There's ya difference.

I think the ability to turn of off would bs good, but I would not use it. Some people might and I can completely see why.

And the reason why people would buy this phone and turn the touch off is because of all the other amazing features. If this phone didn't have a touch screen.. I would still buy it anyday over the 9780. Better screen, thinner, faster, better battery... the touch screen is obviously the biggest selling point, but it's really not the only selling point.
    First of all.. I know the difference between the torch and the bold-touch.. I'm not stupid. But guess what? Many people will have still bought the torch if even if it didn't have a touch screen because guess what? they were able to use the sliding feature to create a bigger screen. Remember old phones? how sliding phones were for the sole reason of a larger screen and didn't have touch capabilities?

If you read what I said with more of an open mind, you would realize that I said the torch as nothing but a mere example.. You took it completely literally when my intentions were not for you to take it like that. My point was "TAKE THE TORCH FOR EXAMPLE: how about someone just wants to buy it so they can have a blackberry with a larger screen but want the touch screen turned off, RIM does not have the time or desire to pleasure those few people, and same goes with the people with the same view of the Bold Touch.

Point being, RIM does not care or have enough time to worry about all of the problems that would come with adding a disable touchscreen feature like papped explained above.. Not to mention all of the people maybe turning off the feature and being lost as to why their touchscreen doesn't work etc. stupid things that cause more and more problems.

(no hard feelings, just trying to get my point across and I will admit that I did get a bit defensive :P)
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 04-07-11 at 02:22 PM.
    04-07-11 02:19 PM
    Wow, some people need to check their egos at the door. Chill...

I think the option to disable it would be nice, but I agree that it isn't likely to happen. The amount of confusion it would create with apps requiring a touchscreen alone is enough of a reason for RIM not to do it, let alone when considered with all the other points that have been raised.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 02:28 PM
    Blows my mind why anyone would want to disable it. It's there purely fore convenience and it's your choice whether you want to enhance the experience (by touching it) or not. I can't even fathom how you'd press something by accident.
    04-07-11 02:30 PM
    Wow, some people need to check their egos at the door. Chill...

I think the option to disable it would be nice, but I agree that it isn't likely to happen. The amount of confusion it would create with apps requiring a touchscreen alone is enough of a reason for RIM not to do it, let alone when considered with all the other points that have been raised.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hey now, I admited that I did get a bit defensive.. It just bugs me when I try and explain something but someone reads it the entirely wrong way and then disputes me on it. I said no hard feelings and I did not mean anything I said in a mean way, I just got somewhat defensive and at the end of the post I realized it and apologized for it <3
    04-07-11 02:32 PM
    Blows my mind why anyone would want to disable it. It's there purely fore convenience and it's your choice whether you want to enhance the experience (by touching it) or not. I can't even fathom how you'd press something by accident.
    I agree, if someone feels that they will be messing up by touching the screen that much by accident, I think they should refrain from buying a smart phone in the first place because they might be a bit advanced for them [; haha
    04-07-11 02:33 PM
    Been on a Droid Pro now since it's release and I can tell you without a doubt, the touchscreen adds so much to the overall smartphone experience. For those not familiar with the Droid Pro, it's the same form factor as the Bold Touch. Portrait qwerty keyboard with full touchscreen, candy bar style. I couldn't imagine using my Droid Pro without the touchscreen. The keyboard is awesome too, but both on the same device is like gadget heaven for me. I'm very curious about the new Bold Touch and will be keeping an eye on it for sure. Even back when the Samsung Epic was out, I was always hoping RIM would do this.
    04-07-11 02:52 PM
    First of all.. I know the difference between the torch and the bold-touch.. I'm not stupid. But guess what? Many people will have still bought the torch if even if it didn't have a touch screen because guess what? they were able to use the sliding feature to create a bigger screen. Remember old phones? how sliding phones were for the sole reason of a larger screen and didn't have touch capabilities?

If you read what I said with more of an open mind, you would realize that I said the torch as nothing but a mere example.. You took it completely literally when my intentions were not for you to take it like that. My point was "TAKE THE TORCH FOR EXAMPLE: how about someone just wants to buy it so they can have a blackberry with a larger screen but want the touch screen turned off, RIM does not have the time or desire to pleasure those few people, and same goes with the people with the same view of the Bold Touch.

Point being, RIM does not care or have enough time to worry about all of the problems that would come with adding a disable touchscreen feature like papped explained above.. Not to mention all of the people maybe turning off the feature and being lost as to why their touchscreen doesn't work etc. stupid things that cause more and more problems.

(no hard feelings, just trying to get my point across and I will admit that I did get a bit defensive :P)
    Heh.. yeah, I wasn't having a dig or even implying that you didn't know the difference naturally being a part of these forums, I would assume you did

I was just stating. What I said is true though.
    04-07-11 02:55 PM
    Played with one for a tiny bit... (my buddies buddy works for RIM in Waterloo)... the screen has haptics like the Android phones... it makes a little vibrate when you press an icon on the touch screen... yes it can be disabled.
    04-07-11 02:55 PM
    yes it can be disabled.
    Yay!

10 characters
    04-07-11 03:12 PM
    Yay!

10 characters
    The haptics... not the touch screen.
    04-07-11 03:14 PM
    The haptics... not the touch screen.
    Lmfao!! That made me laugh
    04-07-11 03:18 PM
    I disabled all haptics on my android phone except for the capacitive buttons. Should probably turn it off there too. Pointless battery killing.
    04-07-11 03:21 PM
    I like the little vibrate, but will probably turn it off as I often get sick of it
    04-07-11 03:26 PM
    I have an atrix that i use as well. You can't turn off the vibrate on the four capacitive buttons on the bottom for some reason, but I got used to it an kinda like it there... but got them shut off everywhere else because they started to annoy me.
    04-07-11 04:08 PM
    Been on a Droid Pro now since it's release and I can tell you without a doubt, the touchscreen adds so much to the overall smartphone experience. For those not familiar with the Droid Pro, it's the same form factor as the Bold Touch. Portrait qwerty keyboard with full touchscreen, candy bar style. I couldn't imagine using my Droid Pro without the touchscreen. The keyboard is awesome too, but both on the same device is like gadget heaven for me. I'm very curious about the new Bold Touch and will be keeping an eye on it for sure. Even back when the Samsung Epic was out, I was always hoping RIM would do this.
    I had heard some people make the claim that they accidentally hit the capacitive at the bottom of the screen while typing. Do you see that at all in your experience? I've never used one before.
    04-07-11 05:45 PM
    One reason to turn off "touch screen" would be to avoid phone actions from accidental pressing of screen.
    That's what the proximity sensor's for. Other than that, accidental screen touches should not be an issue. It never has been for my Torch. Of course, having that ledge at the top of the keyboard helps.
    04-07-11 05:48 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD