Bought it on initial release off Rogers in Canada. Using Blackberry since 2006. So excited when it came out, that I gave my Torch to my niece. Between bricking, battery problems, and a generally poorly QA'd OS7, I've had it. This from a Canadian who fully supported RIM, but I no longer trust the two talking heads at the top.

"Leapfrogging", and other ridculous empty promises and missed deadlines are killing RIM. I have no plans to leave for Android or Iphone or WP7. But I feel ripped off (not a cheap phone), misled, and frustrated.

Here's to hoping that BB10 isn't too little too late, and comes before 2013.
    12-26-11 10:30 PM
    This post confuses me, was your Torch a better device or... did you feel it was on the same level as well?

Just asking because, not a whole lot has changed really from the Torch - it's not as if BB 7 was some huge leap or anything like that.

A BB is a BB is a BB is a BB -- just they come in different form factors for different people.

What about the Bold over the Torch was so bad to have such harsh feelings about it? From my experience, all things you said about the Bold are shared with the Torch as well.
    12-26-11 11:02 PM
    Hey...I'm confused about RIM right now, so valid points. I really like the Torch on OS6. Great phone, and mine was extremely stable.

Exactly - OS7 was not a huge leap forward, yet I've had major problems with this phone. Never had bricking or JVM errors requiring full wipes on my Blackberries before.

So I'm pissed, because I've lost my trust in management, yet have no desire to leave.

Anyways...happy holidays!
    12-26-11 11:17 PM
    This post confuses me, was your Torch a better device or... did you feel it was on the same level as well?

Just asking because, not a whole lot has changed really from the Torch - it's not as if BB 7 was some huge leap or anything like that.

A BB is a BB is a BB is a BB -- just they come in different form factors for different people.

What about the Bold over the Torch was so bad to have such harsh feelings about it? From my experience, all things you said about the Bold are shared with the Torch as well.
    i believe he mentions why in his post. the fact that it has crappy battery life as well as all the bricking problems.

im almost inclined to agree because my phone has bricked. its a little sad that my phone that is only one month old has broken down on me.

i do love the phone but as of now its no use to me. going to try to get a replacement from at&t
    12-26-11 11:23 PM
    i believe he mentions why in his post. the fact that it has crappy battery life as well as all the bricking problems.

im almost inclined to agree because my phone has bricked. its a little sad that my phone that is only one month old has broken down on me.

i do love the phone but as of now its no use to me. going to try to get a replacement from at&t

Sure, but those problems are problems across the board for all BB devices. I've never owned a BB that at point or another didn't brick itself, have poor battery life (depending on OS) or various other problems arise every so often.

As I asked, what makes the Bold so different from the Torch? But as the OP noted -- they never experienced this stuff on previous devices so, that answers my question.
    12-26-11 11:29 PM
    Bought it on initial release off Rogers in Canada. Using Blackberry since 2006. So excited when it came out, that I gave my Torch to my niece. Between bricking, battery problems, and a generally poorly QA'd OS7, I've had it. This from a Canadian who fully supported RIM, but I no longer trust the two talking heads at the top.

"Leapfrogging", and other ridculous empty promises and missed deadlines are killing RIM. I have no plans to leave for Android or Iphone or WP7. But I feel ripped off (not a cheap phone), misled, and frustrated.

Here's to hoping that BB10 isn't too little too late, and comes before 2013.
    Everyone gets frustrated with their BlackBerry at one time or another. As stated, nothing revolutionary about OS 7, but, it comes down to personal preference. As far as the other devices and the CEOs- "Oval and Jed Fuddpucker", they have been given some breathing room to pull a rabbit out of the others azz to initiate a quick-fix and I don't think BB10s are going to be enough- if they are released in late FY'12(?). So.....what will we get in FY'13? Aah...refresh devices for all with additional memory? Ok, rant over.
    Listen, my point being, I've threatened to leave BlackBerries a thousand times, and we're entitled to say what we think about the Fuddpucker Bros and what the h*ll is going on with RIM (we're all concerned), but, after owning other devices, I'm still using BlackBerries since '06. Give it another shot.

Sent from myBad Azz BlackBerry 9810 on OSBB: NewHart Hybrid using Tapatalk. (*_~)
    12-26-11 11:30 PM
    Its understandable to be frustrated if you got one of the devices that self-bricks, but the 9900 is actually a very solid phone. I've had mine since launch and have never had any problems with it.
    12-26-11 11:33 PM
    Sure, but those problems are problems across the board for all BB devices. I've never owned a BB that at point or another didn't brick itself, have poor battery life (depending on OS) or various other problems arise every so often.

As I asked, what makes the Bold so different from the Torch? But as the OP noted -- they never experienced this stuff on previous devices so, that answers my question.
    honestly, i had my bold 9700 for about 2 years before it started acting funny.

i had my torch for about 2 months (not a long time i know) and i had no problems.

so its unfortunate that the 9900 is having problems already after a month. i will be sticking with it tho and hoping my next one will be fine
    12-26-11 11:40 PM
    Blaize...I have a lot respect for you, and enjoy your posts/articles. Your posts got my thinking... I'm pissed because RIM can no longer afford to keep making the same mistakes over and over. Those of us whom are most loyal have had enough of the two heads making blank promises, and ridiculous statements. I've spent 15 years in Software including working for SAP, Cognos and other great companies. Deadlines are missed, sure...but c'mon, RIM is a mess.
    12-26-11 11:47 PM
    Don't want to begin a Torch debate. But my Torch (along with many others) had to do OS re-installs to fix the 'BIS' disconnect bug. Remember that one?! Ouuuuuuuch
    12-27-11 12:23 AM
    This is just my opinion... but my 9930 is opposite of FAIL.

There is not one thing I dislike about it.
    pcgizmo#IM and Mallet21 like this.
    12-27-11 12:28 AM
    I'm pissed because RIM can no longer afford to keep making the same mistakes over and over. Those of us whom are most loyal have had enough of the two heads making blank promises, and ridiculous statements.
    I couldn't agree more. I've given RIM the benefit of the doubt a lot in my time as a BB user, but it's at a point now where things NEED to change in order for them to continue on. That was the point of my post really, glad you picked up on it -- these issues have always been present.. only now are they becoming more noticeable to a wider audience.

Whether you experienced them personally or not the forums are full of users who have across all BlackBerry devices. It's not any one singular device experiencing the issues which led to your post -- it's the devices in general. I'll always have a BlackBerry and I'll always support RIM but I'll also always be the one calling them out on BS in an effort to have them achieve 'better' then what they are doing now.

That said; we all know the BBOS is / has been on its last legs for a while now -- so I am excited to see where RIM takes BB10.
    12-27-11 01:32 AM
    The early 50-70 units I saw were a real mess as far as build quality were concerned. Lavender and crooked keypads, bizarre LCD color temp variation, keyboard not flush with the screen,etc, etc. I've noticed that shipments with build dates in November have been much better built. I think there were early QC problems that are starting to be rectified.
    12-27-11 01:38 AM
    While there were battery problems initially, the 7.0.0.576 upgrade that AT&T made available a couple of days ago has certainly cured my battery issues. With light use (WiFi on) there's around 30 hours in the battery. On a heavy day, with many phone calls and several document d/l's the 9900 gave a solid 18 hours.
    12-27-11 02:01 AM
    if the 9900 really is the 'worst phone ever' im sure i can find you a microsoft Kin to use lol.

i get people may not like stuff, but OTT comments dont really help make ya case
    12-27-11 02:14 AM
    I must say, the 9930 pissed me off so many times (battery wouldn't charge to 100% or wouldn't show the full charge symbol unless plug/unplug the device, the update to 7.1 slowed it down considerably, updating process in itself seemed t cycle through Java a few times) but still I wouldn't change it for an Android especially after seeing first hand the "error loading page" messages on FB app for Android, the glitchy phone app, etc.
    Both iOS and Android, both have something that I don't like: one forces you to use iTunes and is locked on Apple product and the other makes you sign up for Gmail in order to take full advantage of the features. BB let's you use any email address you want and you can use any media you want for music.
    12-27-11 10:25 AM
    The 9900 is only my 3rd BB. 8320 or 8520 (not sure) -> 9700 -> 9900 and this is the best device I've ever had!
    Last edited by EdS817; 12-27-11 at 01:54 PM.
    12-27-11 10:30 AM
    I am faithful user by the way and happy with my current 9900
    The 9900 is what the 9700 should have been. OS7 is what OS5 should have been. RIM passing on Palm and webOS. No email client on the Playbook, service outages, terrible user experience thanks to bricking.... and so on...

My point is Lazaridis got too comfortable (remember he walked out of an interview because RIM "has been and 'is' soooo successful"

All the bashing at RIM has been well-deserved. If RIM goes under..... oh well....

So your Berry bricking is a reflection of the dual-core CEO actually being the PROBLEM.
    FBA and azie like this.
    12-27-11 11:37 AM
    I couldn't agree more. I've given RIM the benefit of the doubt a lot in my time as a BB user, but it's at a point now where things NEED to change in order for them to continue on. That was the point of my post really, glad you picked up on it -- these issues have always been present.. only now are they becoming more noticeable to a wider audience.

Whether you experienced them personally or not the forums are full of users who have across all BlackBerry devices. It's not any one singular device experiencing the issues which led to your post -- it's the devices in general. I'll always have a BlackBerry and I'll always support RIM but I'll also always be the one calling them out on BS in an effort to have them achieve 'better' then what they are doing now.

That said; we all know the BBOS is / has been on its last legs for a while now -- so I am excited to see where RIM takes BB10.
    Blaize - true that all past devices have experienced the bricking issues before, but from what I see, not to the same extent as a 99xx.

They seem to have a higher rate of failure based on the mean. I have been on BB's since '99 and have owned practically every model - and while I've never seen one of mine brick before, I've heard and read about it.

A few months ago, my fiancee's 9900 died, only a few digits apart from my ESN...probably in the same manufacturing run as mine - yet mine continues on with no hiccups. I wonder if daily rebooting, wiping and updating the OS as frequently as I do has something to do with the device not bricking, or does it have to do with my frequent grooming of the databases -- who knows? I just know that these 99xx's seem to have a higher failure rate and though I'm a long time diehard of RIM and Blackberry...I'm starting to become annoyed with their lackadaisical "wait and see" attitude.

I don't think they ever knew how to play in a competitive market. They did fine when they had no competition, but as soon as they entered the consumer market, they flopped.

Time to bring in fresh blood - let Microsoft or someone else buy them and teach them how to write software. Microsoft has no hardware - maybe they need to acquire RIM to complete the circle.
    Last edited by FBA; 12-27-11 at 12:13 PM.
    12-27-11 12:07 PM
    This device has been a flawless experience for me. If it wasnt i wouldn't bee waiting for the iPhone 5!
    12-27-11 12:34 PM
    It would be more accurate to say that the 9900 is what the 9000 should have been just as the 9810 is what the 9800 should have been. If the devices and the direction of the company is not meeting your expectations, then, move on. It is frustrating to watch but it is even more frustrating reading FAIL forum threads from those who have no skin in the game. Does the management of a company make decisions that are not aggressive enough or are in a "bubble" created underlings who have their own agendas rather than the best interests of the company as their focus? Sure they do. At some point, the board will exercise their duty to protect the shareholders. It seems that the amount of rope is getting shorter.
    12-27-11 01:13 PM
    I don't know what y'all are talking about 'all BB phones brick and have battery issues.' Huh? The only BB phone of mine that has ever bricked was a 9000, and that was after loaning it to a friend's kid who did God-knows-what with it after it had been sitting idle for over a year. I have not had another one before or after it brick or nuke or become in any way unusable. I've had a few occasions where it got a little glitchy and a reboot was needed, but I can count those incidents on one hand in my six years with the brand. Granted battery life has declined from one model to the next, but that is to be expected when performance and features increase with each new model; and even at their worst, I've never gotten less than a full day on a charge with any of them. In fact I just went almost three days between charges his past long weekend.

I do have my issues with RIM's management, and I get increasingly doubtful about the company's future with each passing day. But it doesn't change the fact that this 9900 is the best phone I've ever owned, and BB is the only phone I want to be using right now.
    12-27-11 01:17 PM
    I must say, the 9930 pissed me off so many times (battery wouldn't charge to 100% or wouldn't show the full charge symbol unless plug/unplug the device, the update to 7.1 slowed it down considerably, updating process in itself seemed t cycle through Java a few times) but still I wouldn't change it for an Android especially after seeing first hand the "error loading page" messages on FB app for Android, the glitchy phone app, etc.
    Both iOS and Android, both have something that I don't like: one forces you to use iTunes and is locked on Apple product and the other makes you sign up for Gmail in order to take full advantage of the features. BB let's you use any email address you want and you can use any media you want for music.
    You forgot the one platform that will replace BlackBerry - WP7

Say what you will, but it is fresh, useful, simple (and I mean DEAD SIMPLE) to use, solid, reliable and growing as fast as any platform (app growth is on pace with iOS and faster than Android)....and more companies are getting behind it. The beauty is the total integration vision the OS offers for both desktop and mobile OS'es.

Consider that Microsoft will make their desktop OS the same tiled interface and everything will match or mirror....and with SkyDrive you get 25 gigs free cloud storage, something everybody seems to be overlooking.

It's really spectacular. Once Nokia (or other OEM's) start making more devices on all carriers then we shall see. I think Microsoft has some serious vision with this new OS (both mobile and desktop) and they are sure betting the farm on it. What they've done is create a platform with tight controls on hardware and software yet allow customization at the same time. It's something no one has been able to pull off.

And tablets will feature Windows 8 with tiles (that will integrate fully with WP7.5/8).

BlackBerry is done. I hate to say it, but Windows has taken the 3rd ecosystem away from them while they slept on their millions of dollars in salary.
    12-27-11 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD