Am I missing something in this discussion? Unlike the iphone and some Androids, the screen on the 9900 appears to be half-sized w. a physical keyboard where the rest of the screen should be. Some phones i've seen have both a full sized screen and a slide out keyboard - which is the best of both worlds.
    How useful can a half-sized touch screen be?

...mike
    05-18-11 10:37 PM
    Am I missing something in this discussion? Unlike the iphone and some Androids, the screen on the 9900 appears to be half-sized w. a physical keyboard where the rest of the screen should be. Some phones i've seen have both a full sized screen and a slide out keyboard - which is the best of both worlds.
    How useful can a half-sized touch screen be?

...mike
    It's not that there is a keyboard where the rest of the screen should be. This is not how potential buyers are viewing this phone. This phone is for people who desire a physical keyboard and who are content with the candybar form factor of the 9780 or 9000. A "half-sized" touch screen can be extremely useful and will make navigating the interface more efficient. The trackpad will be useful for selecting text, one-handed use, and other specific tasks, while the screen is easily large enough to select icons using the touch function. Touch will also be useful for some scrolling, flipping through media, etc. Combine the two, and the candybar style device suddenly becomes very efficient, and even more appealing to people who do not desire slider keyboards for whatever reason. You have everything right in front of you, all the time.

The rest of the screen only "should" be where the physical keyboard on the 9900 is if the user is predisposed to 3.5+ inch screens. You would only consider this a half-sized screen if you cared about having a screen that was double its size. If this is the case, this phone is not for you. To those who find the 9900 appealing, this screen is "full-size" to them, as they have already shown a demonstrated preference for the candybar style phone. Otherwise they would have a slider or a full touch.

Cliff notes version: Different strokes for different folks.
    05-19-11 01:06 AM
    Im gonna go set my eyes on fire and put it out with a fork now.
    05-19-11 04:34 AM
    I can't wait! Woo I'm touching my 9780 screen trying to get to things quicker so for me its a logical idea a great one at that!! Woo!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-11 05:43 AM
    It's not that there is a keyboard where the rest of the screen should be. This is not how potential buyers are viewing this phone. This phone is for people who desire a physical keyboard and who are content with the candybar form factor of the 9780 or 9000. A "half-sized" touch screen can be extremely useful and will make navigating the interface more efficient.
    Cliff notes version: Different strokes for different folks.
    Thanks for your take. I am actually glad to learn there is a "standard" BB physical keyboard. When I first heard about the touch screen 9900 i thought it would be full screen - but w.o. a physical keyboard. Because of a slight hand tremor, I would have had trouble w. a virtual keyboard.
    My ideal phone would be a full sized screen w. a slide out keyboard. (Keyboard can be the same size BB has on most of its phones. )
    I will upgrade when TMobile gets this. It is an upgraded BB and just adds a feature (touch) that does not have to be used.
    Thanks again for your explanation.
    ...mike
    P.S. May keep my 9700 and definitely upgrade wife's 8900.
    05-19-11 09:29 AM
    Thanks for your take. I am actually glad to learn there is a "standard" BB physical keyboard. When I first heard about the touch screen 9900 i thought it would be full screen - but w.o. a physical keyboard. Because of a slight hand tremor, I would have had trouble w. a virtual keyboard.
    My ideal phone would be a full sized screen w. a slide out keyboard. (Keyboard can be the same size BB has on most of its phones. )
    I will upgrade when TMobile gets this. It is an upgraded BB and just adds a feature (touch) that does not have to be used.
    Thanks again for your explanation.
    ...mike
    P.S. May keep my 9700 and definitely upgrade wife's 8900.
    T-Mobile will supposedly also be carrying a version of the Torch 2 (it's the 9810, I think?)

It will have comparable stats to the 9900, but the battery isn't as good.
    Screen res will be 480x640. I can't remember if the processor is as good as 9900's, but it's definitely better than the current Torch's.

The Torch has a full touchscreen with a pull-out keyboard, again in the "standard" BB physical keyboard form. But the keyboard is portrait orientation instead of the more typical landscape orientation for sliders. Maybe you don't like that.
    05-20-11 07:36 PM
    IF TM had gotten the Torch when att did - would have probably bought it. We are not heavy text people - so the std. BB keyboard would be fine. My fear, if TM oes, finally get the Torch, it will be "old" technology. I originally thot the 9900 would have this sort of layout. Since you have a Torch, how would you rate the screen quality?

...mike
    05-20-11 08:03 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD