Hello,

I had never owned a blackberry before, but once I heard no iphone 5, I decided it was time to try out a the new bold. Everything works great on it. I wasn't having any of the issues that anyone has mentioned. Overall, a really solid phone. I noticed last night that my bold was completely dead when I woke up. I couldn't figure out why. When I'm at home, I use wifi. I noticed that with wifi off, everything is fine. When I turn wifi on. I can see in the upper right every 5 seconds or so, it starts using some data. I had my wifi on all night last night which I think is what killed it. I'm just used to leaving it on because the iphone works 10x better with wifi on all the time. Is this normal for blackberries? Or do you think somethi gis wrong with the phone? Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-11 01:33 PM
    It would have to be your router. Normally a solid connection with a g band Wi-Fi router will at worst have the same battery life as being on 3G, most times better. Have a look here for help:

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ifi-how-47229/
    10-05-11 01:43 PM
    That's what I figured. I assumed all new phones consume less battery power on wifi. I actually bought this while I am on vacation. Ill have to see how it works when I'm on my home network. It must have something to do with this public network. Thanks for your help!

10-05-11 01:56 PM
    Also, make sure you're properly closing out of all your programs. Press and hold the BB button to view the application switcher, which will show you all of the programs that you have running. Making sure that all of the programs are properly closed out is one of the best things you can to to keep your device running smoothly.

Check it on your home network. Honestly I've been having better battery life while on WiFi then when I'm on 3G only.
    10-05-11 02:04 PM
    You'll have better battery life on Wi-Fi, so long as the signal is strong and the connection is solid. If there are many other Wi-Fi around running on the same channel, and your BlackBerry continually is hunting, your battery can be eaten alive.
    10-05-11 02:09 PM
    You'll have better battery life on Wi-Fi, so long as the signal is strong and the connection is solid. If there are many other Wi-Fi around running on the same channel, and your BlackBerry continually is hunting, your battery can be eaten alive.
    That's one of the reasons that I only connect to my home and work WiFi, and not to any public networks. I don't want to mess around with poor signal, unsecured network, etc. Plus, my battery life isn't even bad on the regular 3G network so it doesn't make that much of a difference if I go a whole day on 3G anyways...
    10-05-11 02:13 PM
    Yeah I can easily get a full day of battery on this with 3g. I just like wifi for youtube since this screen is crazy awesome looking. But I think the public wifi is the issue because it is the same ssid through the entire golf course. And it is completely open. I think ill stick to 3g while I'm here.

10-05-11 02:16 PM
    If your BlackBerry starts pulling data while wifi is acitive, it's possible that there's an app that's configured to download data only while a wifi connection is active. One example of this is the podcasts app.

10-05-11 02:23 PM
    If your BlackBerry starts pulling data while wifi is acitive, it's possible that there's an app that's configured to download data only while a wifi connection is active. One example of this is the podcasts app.

I never thought about that, but it makes a lot of sense! BB Protect also has a setting to backup over WiFi only, so that would do it as well.

I deleted BB Podcasts, and my Protect backups regardless of WiFi or not...
    10-05-11 02:34 PM
    Very true Masahiro. Also, cases such as mine right now, where my ISP is only running .7Mbps down. I'm much better off using 3G than Wi-Fi till the upgrade to 12Mbps.
    10-05-11 02:45 PM
    I turned off everything when I don't use it managed to fix a lot of my battery problems - I get about 20 hours a day with 20-25 percent left!!

10-05-11 06:03 PM
    You can always download a smart WiFi Manager app, there are more than a few to choose from, both free and paid.
    10-05-11 06:12 PM
    I get better battery life with wifi on. When I had a Droid 3 for a month wifi totally killed the battery but it's the opposite with my 9930.
    10-05-11 09:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD