Glad so many T-Mobile US users are getting this working, still leaves alot of us scratching our head as to the ins and outs of why it won't work.
    11-30-11 11:57 PM
    Changed my Rogers data plan from 500MB to 1GB and it fixed this message. No APN entered in TCP/IP options.
    12-01-11 08:32 AM
    I have a feeling that it was never T-Mobile's intention to allow free wifi hotspot and now that the leaked OS got out, they put a stop to it and will officially require an add-on hotspot plan for blackberry users. Like every other t-mobile poter here, my hotspot also worked after installing the leaked OS, but now it doesn't work and I get the same error message.

Btw, did the leaked OS get pulled or something? What happened to that thread?

EDIT: I turned off all connections and turned them back on and now my mobile hotspot works again?

Edit 2: I can get Hotspot to enable, but I can't actually get a data connection once connected to it from my laptop. I also have to disable and restore the connections each time to be able to get Hotspot activated. Something's going on here...

Excellent find!! its working for me now. I have T-mobile which doesnt require a username and password but inside the TCP/IP settings i checked Authentication enabled and made up a username and password. Then went back and turned my mobile hotspot option back on. At this point it prompt me for the APN settings as usual, enter epc.tmobile.com and the username and password created. The feature should work at this point. If i get the error later I will try removing the username and password as suggested and see if it continues to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bryanus; 12-01-11 at 05:21 PM.
    12-01-11 04:39 PM
    ...Like every other t-mobile poter here, my hotspot also worked after installing the leaked OS, but now it doesn't work and I get the same error message.
    Had the same issue with my T-Mobile 9900 - reloaded the OS and it works fine now...

Like all issues with a BlackBerry Device a battery pull or reloading the OS is the cure all...
    12-01-11 04:44 PM
    I have the 1GB plan but it isn't working for me at all.

I am on BESX, that is the only intangible I can think of
    igotberryfever likes this.
    12-01-11 09:03 PM
    I have found something out.

It is to do with BlackBerry registration/Service Books

Wiped a handset or two and both started the mobile hotspot before the device registered to the network and received its service books. Then the minute the service books came through it killed the hotspot.

The mystery is that the service books have no hotspot record in them other than the transport books.

Going to have a look in the engineering menu and report back.
    12-02-11 09:13 PM
    I have a feeling that it was never T-Mobile's intention to allow free wifi hotspot and now that the leaked OS got out, they put a stop to it and will officially require an add-on hotspot plan for blackberry users. Like every other t-mobile poter here, my hotspot also worked after installing the leaked OS, but now it doesn't work and I get the same error message.

Btw, did the leaked OS get pulled or something? What happened to that thread?

EDIT: I turned off all connections and turned them back on and now my mobile hotspot works again?

Edit 2: I can get Hotspot to enable, but I can't actually get a data connection once connected to it from my laptop. I also have to disable and restore the connections each time to be able to get Hotspot activated. Something's going on here...
    Did you also try to enter a username and password for your apn?? mine is still working and running strong. Just pulled 7 down on speedtest.net
    12-02-11 09:28 PM
    There is an option under the Engineering Screens for MHS (Mobile Hotspot Service) but it's only setting is Disabled or Enabled, and enabling it then starting the Hotspot still gives the same error, so a bit of a dead end.

Radio Engineering Screens > Utilities > Set MHS Status
    12-02-11 09:35 PM
    Did you also try to enter a username and password for your apn?? mine is still working and running strong. Just pulled 7 down on speedtest.net
    I didn't enter anything for username or password, just left them blank and used APN: epc.tmobile.com

What settings are you using? The above worked for me the day i got the 7.1 leak, and hasn't since no matter what I try.

EDIT: What the??? OK, I left it at epc.tmobile.com but entered my full 11-digit phone number (1+areacode+phone number) for username and my my.t-mobile.com password and it started up!!! I was able to connect to it using an ipod and surf!

BTW, would using Wifi Hotspot mean that my connection from other devices is still going through RIM servers first?
    Last edited by bryanus; 12-05-11 at 04:43 PM.
    12-05-11 04:37 PM
    I didn't enter anything for username or password, just left them blank and used APN: epc.tmobile.com

What settings are you using? The above worked for me the day i got the 7.1 leak, and hasn't since no matter what I try.

EDIT: What the??? OK, I left it at epc.tmobile.com but entered my full 11-digit phone number (1+areacode+phone number) for username and my my.t-mobile.com password and it started up!!! I was able to connect to it using an ipod and surf!

BTW, would using Wifi Hotspot mean that my connection from other devices is still going through RIM servers first?
    That is what i was going to suggest you try. I had the same problem with mine until inentered a username and password for the APN. I dont think it matters what username and password you use. I just made up a random set and its been working fine for me since. To answer your last question i dont think your connection is going thru the rim servers since we are using the epc.tmobile.com. Another user on this thread suggested to use"blackberry.net" as the apn but that one does not work for me.
    12-05-11 05:09 PM
    hmm my bold 9900 was working fine with hotspot and today it suddenly gave me this error "WiFi Hotspot Could Not Start Due To A Temporary Network Problem" anyone know why?
    12-06-11 02:56 PM
    Unfortunately I am back with the same error again. I used the hotspots service multiple times today without any issues and using a username and password on login, but this evening I can't connect again and get this error message again.

I was getting upwards of 8mb down and about 1.8mb up too which i was very happy with. That would constitute a 4G signal right? My city is not listed as 4G enabled yet according to T-Mobile.

12-07-11 02:35 AM
    Excellent find!! its working for me now. I have T-mobile which doesnt require a username and password but inside the TCP/IP settings i checked Authentication enabled and made up a username and password. Then went back and turned my mobile hotspot option back on. At this point it prompt me for the APN settings as usual, enter epc.tmobile.com and the username and password created. The feature should work at this point. If i get the error later I will try removing the username and password as suggested and see if it continues to work.

Do you have a tethering plan with TMO?

I am asking this because I'm with TMO and I don't have a tethering plan. And if you also don't have it, and yet, wifi works, or at least, you could get wifi hotspot to work, maybe, this is the work around. In that case, I can go ahead and install 7.1.
    12-08-11 12:58 AM
    I just made up a random set and its been working fine for me since. To answer your last question i dont think your connection is going thru the rim servers since we are using the epc.tmobile.com. Another user on this thread suggested to use"blackberry.net" as the apn but that one does not work for me.
    how do i change these settings? i picked a ssid and passphrase, and when i try to connect to the mhs, it routes me to a tmo website prompting me to add the mhs service. so how do i change these apn settings?
    12-09-11 01:16 AM
    Do you have a tethering plan with TMO?

I am asking this because I'm with TMO and I don't have a tethering plan. And if you also don't have it, and yet, wifi works, or at least, you could get wifi hotspot to work, maybe, this is the work around. In that case, I can go ahead and install 7.1.
    I don't have a tethering plan.
    12-09-11 02:32 AM
    how do i change these settings? i picked a ssid and passphrase, and when i try to connect to the mhs, it routes me to a tmo website prompting me to add the mhs service. so how do i change these apn settings?
    This is under advanced system setting- TCP/IP. Inside this option there is a box you can cliq that says "authentication enabled" and it allows you to enter a username and password. Put in a random usrname and password and go back to your mobile hotspot option. After you cliq on the mobile hotspot you should get a prompt asking you for these settings. Enter the matching information and see if it workd for you then. I included a couple of screen shots below to see if that might help.
    12-09-11 02:44 AM
    This is under advanced system setting- TCP/IP. Inside this option there is a box you can cliq that says "authentication enabled" and it allows you to enter a username and password. Put in a random usrname and password and go back to your mobile hotspot option. After you cliq on the mobile hotspot you should get a prompt asking you for these settings. Enter the matching information and see if it workd for you then. I included a couple of screen shots below to see if that might help.
    i followed these instructions, and when i clicked on the mibile hotspot option, it simply connected and never asked me for the username or password that i created moments earlier.
    12-09-11 10:59 AM
    and now its giving me the "temporary network issue" error message. im at home and have wifi internet here. could that be the problem? when i turn on wifi, my ohone connects to that wifi
    12-09-11 11:04 AM
    I too was having this problem on the rogers network with apn of internet.com and the user set to wapuser1 password wap.

a workaround i found deep in another post her on crackberry was to downgrade my wireless radio to 2G then turn on hotspot and then upgrade wireless radio to H+/3G

this workaround has worked for me all the times i have used it. seems the wifi hotspot cod needs a bit more work. but that is what you get for running leaked software.
    12-09-11 12:08 PM
    Redk, i tried this and i am getting that wifi circle so the mobile hotspot must be working. the problem is, when i grab my playbook and go to connect to the mhs that my 9900 is now providing, i try to go to a website and it routes me to the tmobile website to upgrade to a tethering plan. now,is this somehow affected by what username and password i enter? i dont ubderstand how some people are able to bypass addung the tmo tether plan.
    12-09-11 02:40 PM
    A good way to test if hotspot will work is to try and BT or hard tether with DM.

If you cannot connect there, you won't be able to hotspot. My account had an issue and I was prevented from both. I seem to be rolling along now.
    12-09-11 03:32 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD