Hello,

Big fan of this site and first time post.

I picked up the Blackberry Bold 9900 from Rogers about a month ago and I love it. However I realized my data has gone beyond what I usually use. Does it use up more data on the 9900 when surfing vs. the 9000?

Has anyone noticed the following issue or would be aware. I have checked google and crackberry.com but could not find a proper response. I notice I am only really connected to WIFI when I use the 3G/H+ option and notice the 4 BB dots on the right of the WIFI icon and under "Service Status" connection states "WIFI". When surfing does the BB automatically always use the WIFI connection or does it use my data? What about BBM and emails coming in when connected to WIFI? Does that also use Data or WIFI when connected to WIFI?

When I use 2G/EDGE and I would see the WIFI icon on and my connection however I am not using WIFI I realized today and actually using data as under Services Status connection is Mobile.

On my BB Bold 9000 which was great for roaming, I would turn off my mobile network and 'data' services' and I could connect WIFI. However when I do this on the Bold 9900, I can not connect to WIFI and if I use the browser I receive the following error msg:

"Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider."

I have called Rogers and they are not aware. They said for me to reinstall everything and I asked my friend who is with Bell and has the Bold 9900 and he could connect WIFI without his phone activated.

Have you come across this issue and have an idea what could be causing this or a solution? I am not sure if its true or not but with OS7 or BB 9900 data services needs to be on to connect to WIFI and I need to see the 4 dots next to the WIFI icon to assure I am connected to WIFI as per Rogers Technical Rep. Is this true? I did try it and works, however I find it odd that I am not able to connect WIFI and browse when I turn off mobile connection and data services.

I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Thank you,

Rob
    10-06-11 07:50 AM
    First off, welcome to the forum!

If your BB recognizes your WiFi connection (ie: the WiFi logo is white not grey) the phone should default to it over data services. When using your browser you should see the WiFi logo instead of the H+ in the top right corner.

As you mentioned, you should be able to turn off the mobile network and maintain a connection via WiFi to receive email, BBM, browser...

If all else fails you might want to consider upgrading your OS to the latest .353
    10-06-11 09:00 AM
    Thank you for the reply.

Where can I get the new OS .353? From Rogers site?

Also, can I connect to WiFi when I am on 2G/EDGE on the 9900? I am not able to. I can disable mobile network and keep a WiFi connection, but when I disable "Data Services" I am not able to connect WiFi. Does this hold true for the Bold 9900/OS7 or I should still be able to connect as I could with my bold 9000.

Thank you,
    10-06-11 09:06 AM
    Thank you for the reply.

Where can I get the new OS .353? From Rogers site?

Also, can I connect to WiFi when I am on 2G/EDGE on the 9900? I am not able to. I can disable mobile network and keep a WiFi connection, but when I disable "Data Services" I am not able to connect WiFi. Does this hold true for the Bold 9900/OS7 or I should still be able to connect as I could with my bold 9000.

Thank you,
    Rogers hasn't released .353 yet, but you can download it from another carrier site. There is a sticky right at the top of the thread list with download links.

You should definitely be able to connect via WiFi with 2G selected. I'm not in an area that has WiFi so can't test the disable data services issue you are reporting, but i've never had an issue with that in the past. The 9900 should work the same as you 9000 did in that respect.
    10-06-11 09:22 AM
    Bold 9900 - Bought August 2011 - Rogers Wireless.
    Latest OS - 9900jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel2108_PL5.1.0.546_A7.1.0.7 46_Rogers_Wireless_Inc.
    I discovered that my Wi-Fi wasn't working last night and it wasn't connected to my linksys router. This has happened before but, reboots and a simple enabling of the Wi-Fi in managed connections was all I needed to do.

When trying to turn it on, it had said "Unable to turn on Wi-Fi." I turned off, and on, then did a battery pull and was not successful. I turned on bluetooth then it got worse. It would not turn on after a reboot. Then my phone ended up doing infinite reboots. Blackberry loading screen, then to "ROGERS welcome screen" then 2 seconds after that, it would reboot, red LED would illuminate.

I did everything that I have found online, from doing the battery pull and turning it back on after 30 seconds, to doing a complete wipe using the RIM LOADER in the common files folder, to thinking my battery was loose, and tightening it with tape. I have tried everything I can do on my own at home.

After doing many wipes, it was stable. I then connected to the BDM and tried to restore to a previous backup. While backing up, it had turned off and rebooted, and BDM gave me the "retry - update - cancel" window" (connection via USB). Infinite reboots started again after this failure. I did the clean wipe again with the Loader App, gave it another try by restoring at a much earlier (6 months ago) but then again, failure. Rebooted, went to infinite reboot again. After wiping the phone I tried turning on WiFi and Bluetooth and still, it went back to rebooting itself.

I tried doing a safe mode turn on, that did not work at all, it would just reboot over and over again.

I have completed wiping my phone, and tried restoring with different backups around 9-10 times today, and it all resulted in failures. Infinite rebooting again and again.

Went to the local mall to show a mobile phone store what has happened. They expressed that this is common with blackberry, and the best they can do is send it in for RIM to look at it. It would take 3-4 weeks for RIM to try to fix it. But can't guarantee the fix would be permanent. They have said that customers are experiencing the same thing.

After 14 hours of playing with this phone, nothing has been restored other than, starting from a clean wiped phone, activating emails and reloading all apps that I had on before.

I don't dare to try turning on WI-FI or BLUETOOTH as it will lead to another infinite reboot.

Can I live without WI-FI and Bluetooth on this Bold 9900? Yes I can cause, the Galaxy S4 will be coming out on April 27th.

Hope my experience will save other peoples time.
    04-25-13 10:02 PM
    The wife antenna sticker is improperly aligned. There is a thread on this titled, "Bold 9900 wifi hardware fix".

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 12:24 AM
    The wife antenna sticker is improperly aligned. There is a thread on this titled, "Bold 9900 wifi hardware fix".

Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rdware-751180/
    04-26-13 08:05 AM
    Hello there.

@robsteve @zten.

It is not the antenna wire. I thought it was but, after further investigation, turning on the wifi should be on, then it would state "unable to search" OR would show the wifi symbol showing that it is on, but NOT connected.

My phone says "Unable to turn on wifi" It has nothing to do with "unable to search"

Some people have experienced this. It is a software/hardware issue that a lot of people in multiple forums, and even YOUTUBE are experiencing.

Thanks for your replies.
    04-27-13 11:52 AM
    If it is still under warranty, get Rogers to fix or replace it.
    04-27-13 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD