My main device is 9900.

It has two essential (for me) features:
    • trackpad and belt (and a physical keyboard)
    • Categories for Contacts, etc

And a lot of the other features, such as compressed data, keyboard shortcuts, (and other items)...as many have mentioned.

With over six thousand contacts (since 2001 and my initial 950), I use Categories to search through the contacts. Great.

Have a Q10 (got it used), just to keep up with OS10, which has improved considerably. I load all the leaks. Last one was 10.3.1.1154, which is the one that the Classic ships with...but NO Categories. The Q10 browser is very nice, but the Q10 doesn't have my two essentials.

The Classic has the trackpad and belt...a good start...but the software has to have Categories before I'll move off my 9900.
    Last edited by George_B; 01-06-15 at 08:25 PM.
    12-19-14 08:20 PM
    My main device is 9900.

It has two essential (for me) features:
    • trackpad and belt (and a physical keyboard)
    • Categories for Contacts, etc

And a lot of the other features, such as compressed data, keyboard shortcuts, (and other items)...as many have mentioned.

With over six thousand contacts (since 2001 and my initial 950), I use Categories to search through the contacts. Great.

Have a Q10 (got it used), just to keep up with OS10, which has improved considerably. I load all the leaks. Last one was 10.3.1.1154, which is the one that the Classic ships with...but NO Categories. The Q10 browser is very nice, but it doesn't have my two essentials.

The Classic has the trackpad and belt...a good start...but the software has to have Categories before I'll move off my 9900.
    I solved this problem of categories "for me" by "my way"...
    If you edit the data of a contact, you can add fields of your own (scroll to the bottom, appears a "+Field"-sign... I add the field "Details to the name, (like title or surname or acronym) where I chose "others"... There I type the category say: costomer, collegue, family, etc.
    The only drawback: I have to type it every time, and be aware to make the same spelling every time... no tick/checkboxes to chose the categories. I seperate several categories by a comma.
    The search engine does the rest...
    How ever, I can't send to all... etc.
    But at least group them by search...
    The notes in the contats were not searchable, that's why I chose the name field.
    I hope it compensates a bit, and it might help you too...
    Cheers!

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    George_B, BigBadWulf and VeryBumpy like this.
    12-20-14 05:44 AM
    I solved this problem of categories "for me" by "my way"...
    If you edit the data of a contact, you can add fields of your own (scroll to the bottom, appears a "+Field"-sign... I add the field "Details to the name, (like title or surname or acronym) where I chose "others"... There I type the category say: costomer, collegue, family, etc.
    The only drawback: I have to type it every time, and be aware to make the same spelling every time... no tick/checkboxes to chose the categories. I seperate several categories by a comma.
    The search engine does the rest...
    How ever, I can't send to all... etc.
    But at least group them by search...
    The notes in the contats were not searchable, that's why I chose the name field.
    I hope it compensates a bit, and it might help you too...
    Cheers!

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    Thanks, anischab

A great suggestion, but even at a low "Categories" use rate, it's too much work to go through my contacts -- which I could do on the 9900 -- and convert to this approach.

But, I must say, it's possible for someone starting out (with few contacts) to do.

Many thankts for the suggestion. But for now, it's still the 9900 for me.
    12-20-14 06:43 AM
    I was hanging on because I wasn't ready for a possibly bloated and sluggish new OS. OS7 was light, fast, and ridiculously easy to use and learn.

So far I really like my Z10 , and I'm glad that I made the switch, but I miss the simple efficiency of the legacy device.
    12-20-14 07:05 AM
    The one thing that forced me to drop BlackBerry before BB10 was lack of access to sub folders in email on BIS. Leaving EVERYthing in my inbox is no way to work efficiently. I must have 40 sub folders over 3 email accounts. When life was more simple, one email account and personal stuff only, the jammed inbox could suffice. But now, with business email, personal email, and email from the lake association board on which I sit, filing email into sub folders is a must. BB10 gave me back access to those filed emails so for me there is no going back to BBOS. It's gotta be BB10 (or iOS). Can't wait for the Classic on Verizon!!
    01-05-15 09:23 AM
    Well...I must first say that I've had BBs since my 9300 and still use it. I have also my Z10 and Z30 and they are without a second thought both excellent handsets. I'm not exactly 100% sure but I know that my 9900 is my favorite and will use it until I can get my hands on a Classic. I like PKPs and my Zs are very good and please don't get me wrong but maybe it all boils down to a simpler system...anyway that's enough rambling.

Cheers to all of the BB fam. John
    01-05-15 01:43 PM
    I was a long-time Bold user, but swtiched to the Z10 and now the Z30. But I still like the Bold.

I thought when BB was announcing the new 10OS phones - one of the first phones would be an upgraded Bold - keyboard, toolbar, trackpad, with faster speed, more apps, and a better camera. I think this finally may be the Classic, but not sure. If it is the Classic, I will get one.

You could use a Bold with one hand. No swiping and closing screens by pecking at the lower right hand corner. I also think the Bold OS was a lot more stable than BB10, although many disagree with this.
    AA Byron likes this.
    01-05-15 01:56 PM
    I had many BlackBerry devices, my last BBOS was 9900. Now its Z. As soon as my Bold 9900 comes back home with repaired screen, hopefully tomorrow, I am giving Z BlackBerry to my wife, letting her struggle with it. Mwahahhha, I am sooo evil!

Sent from Z device
    rayporsche and fkornre like this.
    01-06-15 02:21 PM
    for those that have 'clung' on to your 9900, has it become sluggish over time at all during normal operation?
    01-06-15 04:12 PM
    [QUOTE=alpha beta gaga;11234551]for those that have 'clung' on to your 9900, has it become sluggish over time at all during normal operation?[/QUOTE

The 9900 sometimes is slightly sluggish, but not nearly enough to bother me. With over 6,000 contacts, and my use of Categories, I will not part with the 9900. At times, the browser says it can't reach the website...but pulling battery cures it and then it works normally.

The Q10 that I have - just to keep up with the latest BB10 'leak' - does have a superbly fast browser...but I do almost all of my browsing on my 27 inch iMac. Haven't installed OS 10.3.1.1949 yet since I'd have to do a destructive load, but others have said that it does not have Categories.

So the best alternative for me currentlyis the 9900, with trackpad and belt, and Categories, my two essentials.
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    01-06-15 08:15 PM
    I really like me Bold, me, I do!
    For the reasons already listed above: its design, its button/trackpad operation, its UI (messages!), its options for personalisation. Its data compression. And the removable battery (you don't know what you'll miss until the Classic doesn't have it) ;-)

Few things I'd like to see improved:
    1) that the browser wouldn't get stuck quite so often;
    2) that BIS provided true push email, not only imap.

But hey, life is about making choices, right? I expect the Bold to be my phone for years to come!
    01-08-15 05:14 AM
    I really like me Bold, me, I do!
    For the reasons already listed above: its design, its button/trackpad operation, its UI (messages!), its options for personalisation. Its data compression. And the removable battery (you don't know what you'll miss until the Classic doesn't have it) ;-)

Few things I'd like to see improved:
    1) that the browser wouldn't get stuck quite so often;
    2) that BIS provided true push email, not only imap.

But hey, life is about making choices, right? I expect the Bold to be my phone for years to come!
    do you find that happening on the dedicated mobile version websites? or just the desktop versions?
    01-08-15 05:25 AM
    Both, I'm afraid. At first I thought it was just the desktop versions, but I find some mobile websites too to be loading very slowly and then get stuck sometimes. But mostly it's indeed an issue with the desktop sites.
    alpha beta gaga likes this.
    01-08-15 05:47 AM
    I'm still hanging on for financial reasons. I'm paying almost $75.00/month on the AT&T Next plan for 3 iPhones (losing battle with the family). That, on top of the regular plan charges, just feels financially irresponsible. Not that I'm going to change anything but it's just how I feel every time I pay the bill. I love my Bold and I'd like to upgrade to the Classic but I'm going to suck it up for as long as I can...
    01-08-15 09:07 AM
    Hey Matt! When's the article coming out?
    01-08-15 09:28 AM
    I just ordered one, i love all the positive reviews i see here
    so have i. brand new. �275. i don't care. i'm coming home
    rayporsche likes this.
    01-08-15 10:12 AM
    The one thing that forced me to drop BlackBerry before BB10 was lack of access to sub folders in email on BIS. Leaving EVERYthing in my inbox is no way to work efficiently. I must have 40 sub folders over 3 email accounts. When life was more simple, one email account and personal stuff only, the jammed inbox could suffice.
    LogicMail handles multiple folders quite nicely. If you sign up for an email provider that implements IMAP IDLE properly (i.e., not Gmail or Outlook.com -- they disconnect constantly -- I signed up for a free webhosting/email account through a promo on RedFlagDeals), you have instantaneous delivery of your email, with access to all of your folders. I set up my Outlook.com mail to forward everything to my standards-compliant email account, and use the latter as my IMAP server in LogicMail. It is smooth as silk and stays connected all the time. The really nice thing is I still have the Outlook.com SMTP server set up as the outgoing server in LogicMail. There's no indication to anyone that their mail has been forwarded, and my emails and replies are sent out via the Outlook account. It's better than BIS.
    rayporsche likes this.
    01-09-15 05:03 PM
    On OS7 in BBM there are no annoying alerts that the store has more stickers for sale.
    01-13-15 11:06 AM
    My friend is still using his bold simply because he's on Sprint and doesn't have options. He is very interested on the Passport after seeing mine, but not available for Sprint.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 01:40 PM
    still using my 9900 as DD next to a Z30 which is connected via mobile hotspot. i really don't know what it is, but i just can't get myself do switch to something else anytime soon.

i had Nexus 5, Red Passport, Q10, Z30 and i keep going back to my 9900 and feel "at home" as soon the keyboard is under my fingertips.

still carrying the Z30 around as a backup. It is a remarkable phone
    02-17-15 02:46 PM
    Is the OP still watching this thread? Very interesting thoughts here I'd say. I've recently activated my 9790 to play around and I forgot how much I loved the device. Although the keyboard is a little to small for my hands I just miss the convenient handling and of that device.

Here's my list:

- Great form factor
    - Nice appearance (I love the polished frame)
    - Full QWERTY keyboard with trackpad
    - Illuminated trackpad (I have no idea why that was missed on the classic)
    - Themes
    - BBOS7 (I know it sounds weird but I'm just not too much into the swiping around, even though it is innovative, and I kind of liked the way BBOS7 grouped the apps)
    - Everlasting battery
    - Tons of shortcuts
    - Menu key with good functionality

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 02:31 PM
    Absolutely NO "clinging" involved. Simple logical choice of the better tool. Adding to the very good previous posts, my company demands swappable batteries. So do i. Between that feature and the charging contacts, i couldn't say when the last time my legacy devices' usb port has been used. The ability to carry comfortably sized spare batts in a pocket and restore the device to 100% charge in a few minutes (including boot) is invaluable for ANY 24/7 professional.

I'm well versed with Z/Q and 10.3.1 is showing welcome signs of maturity but QNX's lack of true BlackBerry experience is still detectable. OS7.1 was the end result of many years of in-service evolution. BB10 is catching up and the Classic's toolbelt is very tempting... BUT any device with a fixed battery is a tough swallow for my company and for myself.
    02-23-15 01:35 PM
72 123