It seems everyone using an unlocked Bold on AT&T is using the Rogers version but isn't the Bell version unbranded and on the same frequencies as the Rogers Bold? Any insight appreciated!
    09-06-11 01:07 AM
    The Bell version is $50 more expensive. If you've got the dough and you're willing to spend it, by all means, go for it. But most people getting it for AT&T from Canada are already paying exchange rates, fees, shipping, etc., which all add up.
    09-06-11 01:17 AM
    Plus you can get the carrier logo off pretty easily.

All it takes is a penny.
    09-06-11 01:27 AM
    Are there any pictures floating around of someone who de-branded a Rogers bold? A few more questions while I have you.

Can it be unlocked after purchase through an unlocking service?

How will OTA updates be received?

Any specific downsides versus waiting for an AT&T version?

Thanks again!
    09-06-11 01:33 AM
    Anu unlocking service can help. There are several in the forums.

OTA is good question.

None but cost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-11 05:20 AM
    One drawback is warranty coverage. Thirty days is the longest exchange period I've seen, and most vendors are seven days. After that, good luck.
    09-06-11 09:06 AM
    Anu unlocking service can help. There are several in the forums.

OTA is good question.

None but cost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    OTA OS upgrade you be able to have only if your current OS will be same providers that releasing new OS, if I'm wrong pls correct me
    09-06-11 01:01 PM
    Are there any pictures floating around of someone who de-branded a Rogers bold? A few more questions while I have you.

Can it be unlocked after purchase through an unlocking service?

How will OTA updates be received?

Any specific downsides versus waiting for an AT&T version?

Thanks again!
    I am using a Rogers 9900 with an AT&T SIM card. I paid $5 to an online unlocking service and had the unlock code within 1 minute.

Basically, the phone acts as if it were a AT&T branded 9900. I even have all the AT&T bloat ware installed after I did an OS update.

There is one downside - it is visual voice mail. For whatever reason, visual voice mail does not work. You still get the little tape recorder icon notifying you of a voice mail. However, you have no access to visual voice mail to listen to the message. However, basic voice mail does (i.e. the old way of dialing in and listening to your messages.) I worked with AT&T's Blackberry technical support for about half an hour this past weekend to get it to work. They provisioned my IMEI number on the AT&T network for visual voice mail, but it still does not work.
    09-06-11 01:02 PM
    One drawback is warranty coverage. Thirty days is the longest exchange period I've seen, and most vendors are seven days. After that, good luck.
    90 days from Costco in Canada. Not certain about the US.
    09-07-11 01:12 AM
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone it is definitely affecting my decision. Now if I'm using an AT&T Sim card I receive AT&T OTA updates? What's my best shot at getting a Bold from Bell without driving to Canada?
    09-07-11 01:43 AM
    As long as you register the device on the network, you should be able to get OTA
    09-07-11 08:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD