So i have been loving this phone. But in the last 2 days I have had issues with the service going from 3G to SOS back and forth. Is this a bug is it the device. Service outages. You would think it would only go to 1x right isnt there roaming.. Anyone else experiencing this???
    08-27-11 01:28 PM
    This has been happening to me as well on my 9900, but my Torch used to do it as well so I always assumed it was just my carrier. if theres a fix for this I'd love to hear about it though
    08-27-11 01:32 PM
    Yea, this is really unacceptable. I was told its the service provider. But why wouldnt the device still roam.
    08-27-11 01:34 PM
    i have that same issue too but i knew that it was definitely not RIM...it was my carrier.
    08-27-11 02:57 PM
    Same problem here. Any help? I hd great signal for the past two weeks until yesterday it just went SOS. Switched to 2g and it works fine but when I switched it back to 2gn3g it djust goes cuckoo. I'm from the uk not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same.
    09-06-11 01:27 AM
    you are not alone. i got fed-up and switched to full time 2g only.
    09-06-11 02:25 AM
    i got fed-up and switched to full time 2g only.
    good call. saves batt juice too
    09-06-11 06:22 AM
    Sounds like a signal issue to me but it could also be software my old droid did the same thing but when SOS was there I still had service.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-06-11 07:01 AM
    ...I'm in the UK and the same 3G-to-SOS thing occasionally happens to me too, it's quite rare though and it only seems to last for a couple of seconds before switching back to 3G. I also assumed it was a signal issue, and have also noticed that it strangely doesn't seem to affect what I'm doing, like once or twice I've literally just sent a text and although it suddenly drops to SOS briefly, the text still gets sent.
    09-06-11 10:12 AM
    I'm on Telus in Canada, and with my 9900, there is no 2G, because Telus and Bell recently switched their networks over to HSPA+ from CDMA, both of which don't work with each other. If I choose 2G from the mobile connections option, I get the red SOS coverage and the screen says it's on Rogers, so I have to either use 3G or nothing. However my case is repeatable, and if it's happening only within the last 2 days on the OP's phone then something else must be affecting the coverage. Suffice to say, it's nothing you can do anything about.
    09-06-11 12:04 PM
    sorry bro...................
    09-07-11 08:15 AM
    This happens to me too, it's almost like a "sleep mode" kind of thing, but it's very annoying.
    09-07-11 08:48 AM
    My 9900 does exactly the same thing going to SOS. I have tried everything, manual, automatic, etc. My OS is 7.1.0.205. My service provider is Telefonica Movistar here in Panama. I�m no expert but it would seem to me a hardware problem. If so, does anyone think that RIM will try to find a solution or ignore it? Do they even look into these forums? I hope so, I really like my phone but have been considering changing to IPhone or Samsung.
    02-01-12 03:39 PM
    My phone used to 'sos' all the time! Now, I updated my os to .579 and I get consistant 4g nearly everywhere I go where as before I used to signal search and sos all the time. And also, now with os .579 I can stream videos and youtube *effortlessly*.. Which I couldn't do before the upgrade.
    02-01-12 04:54 PM
    You signed up with the wrong carrier?
    02-01-12 05:25 PM
    I have had BB's for over 7 yrs and NEVER had this problem until I got a 9900. I have always been on Rogers, and I have lived in the same house all this time..............I have a home office and that has not changed either. I always use the latest official OS, I don't have ANY app's aside from Whatsapp, and nothing leaked has ever been on my device.

I have gone through several 9900's since they launched in late Aug, and my newest white Bold 9900 which was made in late Nov 2011, is worse than my previous ones. When I first got this one, I was excited because for a few days it did seem better, but it progressively got worse like the others did. I have little to no signal on 3/4g at home, or in any other buildings for that matter. And because the phone is constantly trying to "find" the 3/4g signal, my battery life is horrible. I have family on Rogers with various devices in the same home as me, and they can get a signal. My previous 9700 could go 2.5 days on a single charge and I never had signal issues. I am constantly dropping calls in the middle of a conversation, emails and texts "hang'' and time out..........sometimes they send, sometimes they don't.

I have now got my 9900 on 2g pretty much all the time, just so I can use it for work phone and email................but that renders it pretty much useless for web browsing or anything else where speed is a factor. I have talked to MANY other people with 9900's and they complain about the same signal issues.

There are too many of these 9900's I keep hearing about, for this to be a minor thing and I suspect RIM knows darn well there is a problem with this phone. Love the keyboard and how the OS is laid out, but the phone itself in my experience is a pile of garbage. I have a blackberry to aid in my productivity, but I have spent far too much time fiddling with settings and trying to make it actually work..............a complete waste of my time and it defeats the purpose of having one.
    02-01-12 05:56 PM
    Its not the phone. The other phones you mentioned are not 4G either. Its a carrier problem and you kept the phone past the trial period. You screwed yourself.
    02-02-12 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD