Back in Nov., my VZ 9930 failed, requiring re-installing the OS. Coincidentally, this was just when VZ released the last OS version.

On Saturday, I turned my phone on (having been out of the country since Sunday) and it failed again. It was stuck on some Java error and would not boot. I had to reinstall the OS. This time it was to 7.1.

It seems that the release of the new OS version by VZ bricked my phone. Is this possible? If so, what can I do to prevent this in the future?
    01-16-12 12:48 PM
    most of the time it is app incompatibility.
    if you tell us which error you have had we can pinpoint the issue.
    01-16-12 01:05 PM
    To what Fubaz is saying, if you haven't already re-loaded the OS follow these steps to see what is causing your issue - it's most likely not released to the OS, but an app you keep installing: http://crackberry.com/help-jvm-error...olution-wiping
    01-16-12 03:03 PM
    I've followed the same procedure for years when I update my OS and have never had any issue.

1. NEVER do an OTA update always use DM OR simply run the loader executable.
    2. Do a complete device backup and separate Contacts backup. I know it does a backup but my contacts are more valuable to me than anything on my device.
    3. Go back to the stock Verizon Theme with stock Verizon background
    4. Disable or uninstall any apps running in the background even if they say they are compatible with the new OS. Write down and product/license key associated with those apps.

I've followed those 4 steps and never had any issue.
    01-16-12 03:13 PM
    i think the problem isnt on the new OS, like many case in this forum, it probably because low battery level issue (considering you've been out for relatively long time.. even if its turned off, who knows...), and i'm assuming at this time, you leave the battery inside. damn these 99xx, i'm starting to have some OCD
    01-16-12 04:47 PM
    i think the problem isnt on the new OS, like many case in this forum, it probably because low battery level issue (considering you've been out for relatively long time.. even if its turned off, who knows...), and i'm assuming at this time, you leave the battery inside. damn these 99xx, i'm starting to have some OCD

The OP is talking about a JVM error. This is completely different from the "bricking" issue people have been discussing in the forum. In this case a simple OS re-load will take care of the issue OR you can follow the instruction in the link I posted above to determine the cause of the error and remove the file (which in turn should bring the phone back online)
    01-17-12 08:06 AM
    The OP is talking about a JVM error. This is completely different from the "bricking" issue people have been discussing in the forum. In this case a simple OS re-load will take care of the issue OR you can follow the instruction in the link I posted above to determine the cause of the error and remove the file (which in turn should bring the phone back online)
    +1 The OP doesn't have a "bricked" device.
    01-17-12 08:40 AM
    Last night I updated from.374 to 7.1. thru DM. I was shaking in my boots.
    I'm so frightened the phone would brick. I remember when I got the phone
    I had difficulty updating to .374. It wouldn't even let me start the process.
    I forgot the exact trouble but it frightened me to extent that I never wanted
    to update this phone again.
    My Bio will tell that i have had many BB, love them, and normally would never
    fear an updated . I welcome them.

Last night while updating with DM 7.1 it got to JVM and gave me a 507 error,
    I almost passed out. It told me to disconnect then reconnect the phone and
    hit try again. I that and it finished installing w/o a hitch.

Has anyone else had this experience
    01-17-12 09:26 AM
    Last night I updated from.374 to 7.1. thru DM. I was shaking in my boots.
    I'm so frightened the phone would brick. I remember when I got the phone
    I had difficulty updating to .374. It wouldn't even let me start the process.
    I forgot the exact trouble but it frightened me to extent that I never wanted
    to update this phone again.
    My Bio will tell that i have had many BB, love them, and normally would never
    fear an updated . I welcome them.

Last night while updating with DM 7.1 it got to JVM and gave me a 507 error,
    I almost passed out. It told me to disconnect then reconnect the phone and
    hit try again. I that and it finished installing w/o a hitch.

Has anyone else had this experience
    I wouldn't go so far as to say this is common, but certainly not unheard of. Either way, I wouldn't be too concerned - I've never heard of anyone bricking their phone while updating the OS.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-17-12 at 10:22 AM. Reason: clean up
    01-17-12 09:45 AM
    OP here: I am not sure if this is the same as the "bricking" that others are experiencing....

Either way, the problems I had were not because I tried to upgrade the device....the problems seemed to happen when VZ released the update. I did not try to update, it just messed up on its own. I had not installed any new apps or made any changes when I was out of the country. When the phone connected to the VZ network again, it first had no data then kept giving errors.
    01-17-12 01:25 PM
    I came across this site when i was searching for a problem with my 9930. After i took the battery out it would keep loading about halfway, at the blackberry screen, then it would turn off and back on. Someone said it could be a battery issue. So, I tried another battery for it from a different 9930.....same problem. Then I plugged it in to the usb charger that came with it...same problem. Then, I plugged the wall charger that came with the 9650 into it, and it came on. I don't know if that's the issue, but it has been working great for me ever since I have been using the wall charger from my 9650. Preciate yall...100

- Ryno
    01-20-12 12:29 AM
    If I've read correctly on the forums:

Bricked = not recoverable; totally dead

Nuked = phone dies but can be brought back to life (usually re-installing software)
    01-20-12 01:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD