Anyone else have this issue? I like checking facebook & texting while I chat with someone on speakerphone & can't when 4G keeps switching to GSM during calls.

Why does this happen?
    04-22-12 03:48 PM
    Same problem (only don't have 4G only 3G) goes 3G>GPRS>gprs>GSM when on a call then in reverse back up to 3G when the call is ended. Been searching for an answer for a while with no avail. This is a +1 really, anybody know?
    Last edited by GreenBerry84; 04-22-12 at 05:22 PM.
    04-22-12 05:19 PM
    Anyone else have this issue? I like checking facebook & texting while I chat with someone on speakerphone & can't when 4G keeps switching to GSM during calls.

Why does this happen?
    9900 does not have "real" 4G,.. only HSPA+,.. and data is being dropped while on call...
    (some 9900's show 4G or H+ - but that's from carriers specific devices - other 9900's show 3G - which is what 9900 have)

"real" 4G (LTE) is supposed to be able to keep data while on call....
    04-22-12 07:08 PM
    I find the Tmo signal very irratic even when not on a call. Runs through the alphabet of upper and lower case service types all the time. True on two 9900's and 7.0 and 7.1.

Do others have this issue?
    04-23-12 12:28 PM

Why does this happen?
    This happens when you start loosing reception and your cell signal gets weak, not sure why it drops down, but can't re up when signal gets better. Happens to me all the time, and it happens on all phones. I live in a condo with lots of concrete around me and no matter what provider, what phone (bb, iphone, android) they all drop down sometimes until after the call has ended.

What I do is keep 3G/H+ selected instead of 3G/H+ & 2G and it never drops down as the band is forced and cannot be dropped.
    04-23-12 12:34 PM
    My phone offers only. 3/4G + 2G. Or 2G. Cannot choose only 3/4G.

Is that a Tmo thing? Am I missing something?
    04-23-12 01:15 PM
    Wifi calling....
    04-23-12 01:23 PM
    What I do is keep 3G/H+ selected instead of 3G/H+ & 2G and it never drops down as the band is forced and cannot be dropped.
    Yeah I found this works for me too, but I tend to keep 3G+2G on most of the time instead of just 3G because its not always great signal where I live (most times its 3G but sometimes drops to GPRS).
    04-23-12 04:35 PM
    This happens when you start loosing reception and your cell signal gets weak, not sure why it drops down, but can't re up when signal gets better. Happens to me all the time, and it happens on all phones. I live in a condo with lots of concrete around me and no matter what provider, what phone (bb, iphone, android) they all drop down sometimes until after the call has ended.

you are right about the signal strength factor.

there are more variables to be taken into account.

carriers may choose to do so (i.e. tmo) as they assume you are NOT using data during a call; this way it frees up spectrum

tmo is excellent when it comes to vertical handover (in most parts) (i,e, switching from uma, 3g, 2g, stc). so this makes dropping to 2g easy to implement and you notice your call is rarely dropped when it happens.

call quality in 2g and 3g are about the same therefore dropping to 2g makes no difference.

you can force to remain in 3g if you take a call in the middle of data traffic (i.e. downloading/browsing a file in tethering mode). you can call/text/web/email/watch videos/tether simultaneously in 3g. but as soon as data traffic stops you may be dropped to 2g.
    04-23-12 08:04 PM
    "real" 4G (LTE) is supposed to be able to keep data while on call....

HSPA and HSPA+ also have the ability to do voice and data at the same time. The only 3G technology in the US that doesn't is CDMA.
    04-23-12 09:53 PM
    HSPA and HSPA+ also have the ability to do voice and data at the same time. The only 3G technology in the US that doesn't is CDMA.
    sorry - my bummer...

so perhaps it is BlackBerry data-services that is being dropped....

anyway - no 4G around here... yet....
    04-27-12 08:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD