Just curious why you bought the 9900 instead of waiting.
    I'm tempted but thinking about waiting.
    The first model of a new OS makes me a bit nervous though.
    08-31-11 11:50 PM
    I got my 9930 because based on RIM's past releases I don't anticipate QNX for sometime. My guess is at least 1yr from now before it is announced and released by carriers. By that time I should be eligible for another upgrade, my carrier allows for a upgrade every 11 months. Even if it is rumored to be released 1st QTR 2012, Its very doubtful they will announce it before then, more like mid to late 2012 for the official announcement and then we still have to wait for carriers to release it.
    09-01-11 08:31 AM
    2 reasons:

1) What will QNX do that OS 7 can't do? I see no real benefit other than an improvement in the interface for now.

2) When QNX will first be released, I expect to see a lot of bugs until a few months when it finally becomes stable, thus, I am in no rush

3) How can you resist the smokin' fast 9900 with a 1200 MHz. and Liquid Graphics? I know the QNX device will probably be the same or faster, but the difference between the 9900 and the older BlackBerrys is breathe taking and once you try it for a few minutes, it is very hard to go back to your old BlackBerry
    09-01-11 08:37 AM
    I got a 9900 because a QWERTY-style QNX device won't be out until most likely Q2/Q3 2012. It will be a slate device running QNX that RIM will release first.

RIM will definitely let the 9900 ride out as the top enterprise BlackBerry for a while (from past experiences it has been a year or more with this series ie. 9000, 9700, 9650, 9780).
    09-01-11 08:44 AM
    Because my 8530 died, may she RIP...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    snowman83 and Sharma15 like this.
    09-01-11 09:11 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    the new Bold 9900 is absolutely awesome!! ... that's why ....
    Sharma15 and rcm1301 like this.
    09-01-11 09:18 AM
    Love the Bold and will probably buy the QNX phone as well
    Moon_Juice and SnoopTodd like this.
    09-01-11 09:20 AM
    When do you think RIM will deliver a QNX phone, next month?
    Mikey112 likes this.
    09-01-11 09:21 AM
    Well, I use my BB constantly throughout the day so anything that improves my productivity is a good investment. Heh, question is, does the lack of UMA hurt me more then it helps? I'll say this, I'm glad I have a cell repeater at home, even if it is EDGE only! Without it I'd be sunk, seems the RF on the 9700 might have been ever so slightly better.
    09-01-11 09:23 AM
    Because....... just because I could.
    gavinl1967 and celeste9000 like this.
    09-01-11 09:24 AM
    I recently had this thought as well. My 9900 is my first Blackberry.

My recent phone history has been:

Treo 650
    Treo 680
    Pre
    Pre 2

As you can see I went from the pinnacle of PalmOS to an early WebOS adopter, and then to the more refined WebOS 2. What I learned is that going from the final iteration of a well-honed OS to its shiny new offspring is big shock - all the little things were missing. Not enough to make me regret the decision but really I would have been much happier with PalmOS + a WebKit browser. By the time WebOS 2 was here, they had started to get things right.

That's exactly what I've done with the 9900 - a highly developed OS, with added shininess and a decent browser. I get the feeling that if I waited for QNX I'd get the same experience all over again. It will be super-shiny but it'll miss the awesome usability mark which can only be achieved through extensive long-term development.

My advice - get your 9900, and wait for the later QNX devices. In the meantime, enjoy a classic Blackberry at the top of its game.
    09-01-11 09:24 AM
    I got a 9900 because a QWERTY-style QNX device won't be out until most likely Q2/Q3 2012. It will be a slate device running QNX that RIM will release first.

RIM will definitely let the 9900 ride out as the top enterprise BlackBerry for a while (from past experiences it has been a year or more with this series ie. 9000, 9700, 9650, 9780).
    This......
    09-01-11 09:25 AM
    I wanted a keyboard.

I have a Playbook.

And I think there are some other points people have made here and in other thread that I agree with but I am too lazy to search for them.
    09-01-11 09:27 AM
    New devices come out every day and even a new QNX device might have issues! Phones only last a few years so if QNX comes out and its nice then at that time I will probably purchase one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-01-11 09:34 AM
    well if you `wait for the next new phone` you`ll never have a new phone, im sure when the first QNX based phone comes out there`ll be a second on the horizon, will you then hold off for that? then qnx 3 etc etc.

also the QNX phone is rumored to be a touchscreen only device, so the 9900 has a keyboard, huge diff there.

and the first model on the QNX OS is the playbook, not the `colt`
    09-01-11 09:38 AM
    I got the 9930 because it's an amazing device.

I also get my QNX fix with my PB. Perfect combo IMO.
    09-01-11 09:39 AM
    last flagship device on a platform.

you forever have the newest model.
    #winning
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-01-11 09:40 AM
    I chose not wait for the release of QNX because I estimate a "Bold" type device will release in about one year. When the appropriate QNX device releases I may buy it under contract or pay full price. On other the hand, my personal way of using a smartphone does not really need a four inch touch screen on a regular basis. If I'm going to be on the internet or reading ebooks for any length of time I will use a tablet. This how my personal usage has developed, other people may rely only on one device. The Bold 9900/9930 is the pinnacle of Blackberry's hardware/software development, IMO. That is one reason I bought the 9930 at full price when knowing QNX is releasing soon. A second reason is I had been using Android devices for nearly two years and still wanted the "Way of Blackberry".
    09-01-11 09:51 AM
    I got the 9930 because I wanted a powerful device and I <3 BB. I've been a BB user since '08 when I got the pearl and then the Curve 8330 and was super excited to have a powerful BB. QNX won't be out until at least Q3 of '12 (look at the BB 7 release fiasco) and I was up for upgrade so there I am!!! happy as a clam with this new BB OS 7
    09-01-11 10:05 AM
    I'm not waiting because I doubt a QNX OS will work well on a sub 3-inch screen and I don't think it will work well if they just make a cheap port of the PlayBook OS, which in all honesty is what you're probably going to get with this.
    09-01-11 10:05 AM
    First off QNX isn't that serious. Heck I don't even want it, its just more process hogging and goes against what Blackberrys are meant for, and that is to simply work, and do well with communication/security.

Secondly the first QNX phone will be all touchscreen, to **** with that and any all touchscreen phone, the iPhone will tear any of them to shreds, so going for any other touchscreen phone is pointless, and any BB that is all touchscreen is major fl0p in my book seeing as how apps (which is the main thing along with a browser) is the main attraction to full touchscreen phones. And there is no way in **** I would wait for a Bold type QNX BB, we all know RIMs track record in term sof bringing devices to market, so forget that.

Third, I got everyting I ever wanted in a BB, so as long as they patch a few OS7 bugs, the only thing they royally messed up was the battery downgrade, the weak speakerphone, and the 99.99% useless vibration strength,and the camera (which isn't that bad for general photos, your out of luck for close ups though). But alas it could've been worse so I am content with what I have and very happy seeing as how I made the jump from OS5 (but lost some features which is again the principle issue coming back to haunt me and wondering how they dare to downgrade something in what is considered a flagship device).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-01-11 10:19 AM
    Because I need the phone. The 9780 was getting old and slow comparatively. Being on the HSPA+ was a necessity especially when my PB is tethered.
    09-01-11 10:22 AM
    I'll believe QNX is here when I see it. I'll believe it's better than BB OS when I see that for myself. If all RIM offers on QNX are imitation iphones, I don't want it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 10:46 AM
    There's always going to be something newer next year, every year. So, if you have the means, enjoy life a little. The 9900 is a great BB.
    09-01-11 01:53 PM
    There's always going to be something newer next year, every year. So, if you have the means, enjoy life a little. The 9900 is a great BB.
    +1, Totally Agree 100%
    09-01-11 02:06 PM
114 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD