Quick tl;dr backstory:

I started my BlackBerry life with the Pearl on Verizon. Went to the Nextel Curve, then the Storm 1, Storm 2, Torch 9800, and that was my last BBOS device. I eventually upgraded to a Z10, then to a Z30, and bounced around a few Android phones before I learned my lesson and went to a Classic which I hotly anticipated being awesome. From the Classic I went back to a Z30, and am now realizing that I should and would be best served going back to an OS7 device.

I'm torn between getting a Torch 9810 or a Bold 9900/9930. Here's what I'm thinking:

The Torch has a widescreen'ish display for viewing video and photos. It also has an autofocus camera. The drawbacks are that it's got a smaller keyboard in comparison to the Bold.

The Bold has a larger keyboard and, to my knowledge, is the last BBOS device put out. It's the crowd favorite and looks absolutely sexy in a dock. It's build is solid with metal framing. The downside is that it doesn't have an autofocus camera and has a 1:1 screen.

What other thoughts do you guys have? Why did you choose the 99x0 over the 9810? Why would someone choose the 9810 over the 99x0?

I'm hoping to pull the trigger on this by Friday the 13th ( )
    03-05-15 08:13 PM
    I currently have the Classic and like it very much. I hope that BB10 issues get fixed with an update so I'm going to stay with the Classic and be patient. But, to answer your question I personally will choose the 99xx due to the 9810 being top heavy and uncomfortable to type on.

BBM 2BFAFDA0
    03-05-15 08:41 PM
    I chose the Bold 9900 because I already have a slider (HP Pre3). I like sliders, but I wanted the killer keyboard. I think you've hit all of the positives and negatives of the two devices. It's just a hard choice.

There are shared drawbacks to both phones though. One is the browser. It's slow. You can compensate a little with Opera mini, but it's nothing like having a 2015 phone.

Another drawback -- if you're a frequent forum user -- is that the last version of Tapatalk for OS 7.1 is effectively dead. Neither the search or the forum directory work, so you can't add new forums. The CB Forums app does still work though.

I'd really think about what apps you want if you decide to pull the trigger. If you look at the thread in my signature, you can get a pretty good sense of which apps are out there and still work.
    03-05-15 08:49 PM
    Oh, and I think, with the exception of the re-released Bold 9900, the 9720 was the last BBOS device. It's lower spec'd though.
    03-05-15 08:53 PM
    I did an experiment for the last three weeks where I deleted pretty much every Android app on my Z30 and found that what I use most often outside of the built in apps is Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit, Amazon, and NewEgg. On a few occasions I'll pull up an SSH client.

Fortunately, Facebook and Twitter are, if I recall, built into the OS. LinkedIn I only really use on the desktop otherwise, so I can live without a client for it. Reddit has a mobile site that works, and so does Amazon and NewEgg. There are SSH clients for OS7, so that covers that gig. Essentially, based on that usage profile, I should be fine.

Do you have any thoughts to that end?
    03-05-15 08:55 PM
    9900's keyboard is always visible and the keys are larger. The slider sides surrounding the keyboard bother the heck out of me. Trade off is smaller 9900 screen but what are you using the phone for anyways?
    John Crist likes this.
    03-05-15 09:56 PM
    Sounds like you'll be fine with bbos. iRetired is right. Go with the bold.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    03-05-15 10:44 PM
    Sounds excellent. I'm also stoked to see a Pre3 user I have a preproduction Pre3 with no logos and all the internal serial numbers etched into it. Fantastic phone. I wish Open WebOS was built to suit the Pre3.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:56 PM
    I like both of two worlds, I use the Passport and the Bold at the same time. The only thing the Bold is superior to the passport is that it is lighter and smaller and easy to carry in your pocket. The rest of the advantages go to the BB10. But comparing the Torsch and Bold I'd get the bold due to its keyboard.
    03-06-15 04:06 AM
    Sounds excellent. I'm also stoked to see a Pre3 user I have a preproduction Pre3 with no logos and all the internal serial numbers etched into it. Fantastic phone. I wish Open WebOS was built to suit the Pre3.

Posted via CB10
    I like the Pre3 a lot. If the new BlackBerry slider had an unlocked bootloader and android drivers (and there are those pesky rumours about BlackBerry going android....) I'd put LuneOS on it.
    03-06-15 10:14 AM
    Thanks for your feedback!

Since you mentioned you use both, do you not find the Bold to still be faster in terms of communications productivity in comparison?

To liken an example, on my Z30, the process of creating a new message involves swiping up, swiping over, selecting New, selecting the type of message, and then typing. On OS7 I recall hitting Alt+I or Alt+S and C to start composing a new message.

Are you the type to charge your phone periodically throughout the day? Battery changes throughout the day?

I'm basically trying to decide the direction of going to go, and I'm leaning towards OS7 with the app profile I mentioned earlier, but I do feel the need to pick the user experience brain of those using both.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 02:42 PM
    Thanks for your feedback!

Since you mentioned you use both, do you not find the Bold to still be faster in terms of communications productivity in comparison?

To liken an example, on my Z30, the process of creating a new message involves swiping up, swiping over, selecting New, selecting the type of message, and then typing. On OS7 I recall hitting Alt+I or Alt+S and C to start composing a new message.

Are you the type to charge your phone periodically throughout the day? Battery changes throughout the day?

I'm basically trying to decide the direction of going to go, and I'm leaning towards OS7 with the app profile I mentioned earlier, but I do feel the need to pick the user experience brain of those using both.

Posted via CB10
    I believe in BB10 now you can hold button C for composing, and while BB10 is getting better and better with nearly all useful features of previous BBOS, why downgrade? I personally now use 2 phones, 1 is Q5 and 1 is 9900, and to be honest I rarely touch the 99, only for some sms and calls.
    However, if you do want to, then I recommand 99. 98 keyboard is not only harder but also poorly designed, with the big screen on top makes the phone so heavy when typing. And dont forget to mention the cable, all slide phone has that problem

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 12:47 PM