Ok my friends I can confirm that yes this is an at&t thing or more importantly a carrier controlled thing. For the last couple years handset manufacturers have been required to remove the ability the user controlled ability to force a device into 2G mode. The only two manufacturers that were granted an exception as RIM and Apple and both companies are beginning to comply with this mandate.

Now there are plenty network issues with users forcing their phones into 2G and it will only get worse as we continue to carve spectrum out of the 2G network to add capacity to the HSPA network. That said I believe there are plenty of areas where users experience would be better on the 2G network and should allow users the option.

Clearly that is a minority voice...

PG
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    01-28-12 09:28 AM
    I am on 7.1.0.205 and Edge is available on the phone, but I noticed when at a rural are over the weekend, I wasn't getting BIS over EDGE.

I just tried it at home and if I set it to 2G only or 3G/H+/2G, there is no BIS service indicator icon on EDGE, but the BBM still get through. I don't know if this is a software thing with 7.1.0.205 or if it was always that way.
    If you are seeing EDGE in caps, then you have a BIS connection. If you see edge in lower case, then you have no BIS connection. That's the way it's always been on BlackBerrys.
    01-28-12 09:29 AM
    I don't have any 3G/2G option...it's just 4G for me and carrier ATT is having lots of problems. When I place a call or even a long text, neither go through. I get no dial tone. I have to manually switch off the Mobile Network in order to get these to work.

I am also on 7.0.1.205
    01-28-12 12:31 PM
    I switched back to 7.0, and now my battery is draining so much compared the latest 7.1 release.

I either get good battery life...or I'm stuck with 3G+ in a building that gets 5 bars of EDGE easily, but my phone simply did NOT switch at all.

Also, I'm looking to swap my 9900 for a 9860 with someone...I don't know where to go for this. Craigslist, I guess.
    01-29-12 01:52 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD