Hello all,

I was just wondering we all install leaked OS and some different carrier's OS, One thing i have noticed all here says not to forget to delete the vendor file, so I'm thinking what exactly that file is what it contains why do we have to delete it and what if we don't

Thanks for always helping out!
    05-29-12 06:18 PM
    Vendor files identify what carrier an OS is for. If you attempt to install an OS from a different carrier on your phone, it will not be recognized unless you remove the vendor file. My understanding is that leaked OSes normally do not have vendor files.
    linuxbbm likes this.
    05-29-12 07:29 PM
    There is no actual use or need for the file. It was put there clearly as a way or attempt by the carriers to keep us using their sanctioned operating system. If you install a leaked ver. Without deleting it.......the OS install won't work. Think I am correct in my explanation.
    linuxbbm likes this.
    05-29-12 07:37 PM
    Vendor files identify what carrier an OS is for. If you attempt to install an OS from a different carrier on your phone, it will not be recognized unless you remove the vendor file. My understanding is that leaked OSes normally do not have vendor files.
    In fact, they do in leaked files. I'd heard the same thing, but at the end of the day...most if not all leaked releases have the file in the build...and you need to remove it, same as an official release.
    05-29-12 07:43 PM
    When you download a software upgrade from a carrier other than yours, and then you open your Desktop Manager to update your phone, you will get a message saying that there aren't any updates available.

Deleting the Vendor file is what makes the new software appear as available.

Hope this helps!
    linuxbbm likes this.
    05-29-12 08:05 PM
    In fact, they do in leaked files. I'd heard the same thing, but at the end of the day...most if not all leaked releases have the file in the build...and you need to remove it, same as an official release.
    This is strange because when I installed .402, I did not have to delete the vendor files. To be honest, I think the hoops you have to jump through to upgrade a blackberry are really stupid. Not that I'm not glad there is a way around them, but if RIM was really trying to prevent people from upgrading their phones, this mechanism is pretty lame.
    linuxbbm likes this.
    05-29-12 09:44 PM
    When you download a software upgrade from a carrier other than yours, and then you open your Desktop Manager to update your phone, you will get a message saying that there aren't any updates available.

Deleting the Vendor file is what makes the new software appear as available.

Hope this helps!
    True

Thanks
    05-30-12 05:03 AM
    Thanks
    Yes exactly, and same goes for IT policy, recently i have installed .428 and since i don't know what IT policy really is, i was left with no updates from DM at all ! i mean NO UPGRADES not even downgrades, i saw the vendor files and they were not there, i had IT Policy and i hardly removed it and the time it connected to the internet (my phone) i had updates upgrades available like ! i never knew IT policy is this bad I'm never gonna install an OS in which its unable to remove

Thank you all for your replies
    Appreciated it
    05-30-12 05:07 AM
    There is no actual use or need for the file. It was put there clearly as a way or attempt by the carriers to keep us using their sanctioned operating system. If you install a leaked ver. Without deleting it.......the OS install won't work. Think I am correct in my explanation.
    Thats right but i have had installed OS with vendor files (just forgot to remove them) then i had this weird issues phone connects to network with some seconds late like couldnt recognize it, but yes either way it works tho
    05-30-12 05:09 AM
    One more thing, When we upgrade through DM (No leaks no vendors to delete)
    That vendor file comes from DM while it download upgrades does that detects my carrier and choose my vendor file for me ? cause phone has to be online in order to install it through DM without actually downloading n install an OS separately.

And what if i have an OS with NO vendor file (offical one) is that okay too?
    05-30-12 05:12 AM
    I don't think you've understood the concept of what a vendor file is/does.

Have a read of this...
    To delete Vendor.xml or not to delete, that is the question
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 05-30-12 at 08:58 AM.
    linuxbbm likes this.
    05-30-12 06:44 AM
    Thank you phill
    05-30-12 06:53 AM
    I don't think you've understood the concept of what a vendor file is/does. Have a read of this... http://crackberry.com/index.php?q=de...on&cb_mobile=0
    Yes understood that's why I wasn't getting any updates no matter what!
    05-30-12 06:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD