Been having the 9900 for a while now and I am really pissed at the moment.

The 9900 has been out for a while now and the NFC is absolutely USELESS. Don't tell me to buy some tags, I don't wanna buy tags. I want to look awesome by putting my phone on a PayPass machine and pay with it. Slowly slowly, RIM is making me take couple of steps back. The only reason that RIM has kept me with a BB is the keyboard.

When the galaxy nexus was out, the SAME hour you could go and pay with the NFC.

What is RIM waiting for ?!?!?!?!

I am a big BB fan by the way, though, bit by bit, they are making me look into other cooler phones.
    03-20-12 08:12 PM
    Where exactly do you want to use it? PayPass?

I suggest calling MasterCard and asking them for a BlackBerry app. It's not RIM's responsibility to make an app for your banking needs, your financial institution and credit company sort of have to be involved.

People wanted to use their phone as their access card, so HID put out SIO. How is NFC (in this case, financial services) any different?
    ssb16 likes this.
    03-20-12 08:58 PM
    I think your right, BB phones are very limited on features. Give a touchscreen phone a week and you will get used to the keyboard and you never look back.

I see a Razor Max, 4s or BB10 (If its any good) in my future.

My 9930 is a really good looking device, however there is too much I can't do with it.

Its great for texting.

Email is now behind other platforms. Truenicated* emails just kill me. Can't open some attachments.

I really hope BB 10 is everything we're hoping for.

BlackBerry PlayBook® 2.0 using Tapatalk™
    03-20-12 09:00 PM
    Where exactly do you want to use it? PayPass?

I suggest calling MasterCard and asking them for a BlackBerry app. It's not RIM's responsibility to make an app for your banking needs, your financial institution and credit company sort of have to be involved.

People wanted to use their phone as their access card, so HID put out SIO. How is NFC (in this case, financial services) any different?
    Not RIM's responsibility ? Then screw RIM, Android/iPhone here I come. They have what I want, why am I sticking to BB when I don't have all the features I want ? Look at Google wallet... Google did it.
    03-20-12 09:03 PM
    I use NFC all the time with all my friends who have a 9900 and I love it. Who is paying stuff with NFC and their Samsung ?? Nobody around here...theres features that are just that...a feature. RIM can't focus on nonsense like that. Please buy an android phone or iPhone and leave these serious forums.
    03-20-12 09:03 PM
    I told you. I am a HUGE blackberry fan. All my friends know me for that. But when I was with them at Tim Hortons (cafe in canada), my friend takes out his galaxy nexus and puts it on the chip reader, bam, the cashier -> mind = blown.
    03-20-12 09:10 PM
    Once RIM gets the NFC working like paypass the next thing we'll hear is how they "steal" your information and the security is compromised etc.

If you are really looking for this feature then buy an icrap or android deviice. I'd wait for BB10 or just realize something the 9900 is one of the best blackberries launched by the company to date.
    03-20-12 09:26 PM
    It's not RIM's fault that NFC is not in popular use. NFC on Bold 9900 is now used to access rooms at the banks already. I sent Royal Bank of Canada a letter asking them to open up the NFC for credit and debit transactions. They sent me a letter back saying that it is out of their control and has to do with VISA international and Interact. When I sent them emails, they reply saying that at this time they have no plans.

It is not RIM's fault and more and more smartphones in the US and European markets are coming out with NFC with exception to dumb Apple iPhones. Japan already use NFC on train transit passes and you can program the NFC for it. Anyway, America, Canada and EU run on money not on technology like Japan. That's why Japanese have these features up and running first before our greedy companies like VISA and AT&T find a way to make money off of it.

This is what I called, capitalistic scientific research in backwards.
    robkd and blackguy07 like this.
    03-20-12 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD