Hello I've looked at few posts about using your phone via UMA out side the country, but the posts are kind of old. I'm going to Italy in a month and I wanna be able to call my girlfriend during the two weeks. I have tmobile and a 9900. Is wifi calling free and not considered international? I understand I would only be subjected to US phone numbers.

Side note, I'm pretty sure when I'm at home and I use wifi, tmobile doesn't even consider it minutes off my contract.
    04-12-12 02:07 AM
    With UMA I know it wasn't differentiated by country meaning as long as you're in Wi-Fi range, connected properly and the call goes out fine you'll be okay. Just check for the symbol. Even turn off your Mobile Network to be sure.
    rango10 likes this.
    04-12-12 03:26 AM
    Like the other poster said, you better make sure and turn off your Mobile Network to make sure you are on UMA.
    04-12-12 05:27 AM
    Check with T-Mobile CSR to make sure . I've found this link How To Enhance Your Coverage With Wi-Fi Calling | T-Mobile ,which says it will work internationally as you're home
    04-12-12 09:35 AM
    Thanks everyone. Posting a question is always better than calling customer service lol. Although sometimes you do get a pretty well informed representative.
    04-12-12 09:46 AM
    Uma is great. I feel tmo did not do enough to market uma. When i had tmo service i used it religiously. With all these complaints from carriers not having enough spectrum to go around they are being ******** by not implementing uma.

Things to watch out for

Log in to your account online and disable roaming services. This way you will not connect to the local network even with the cell 2g/3g radio on

On uma you are at the mercy of the router's qos and the local isp. For example i had problems in turkey but worked as advertised in spain and korea (i used the same router).

Calls made are registered to to the time zone of your local area code and not of your current location. For example if you make a call from berlin at 337pm local time and your area code is 619 then it will register at 737am.

If you do not have unlimited minutes but have free nights and weekends then check the time from your area code before making a call.
    04-12-12 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD