Hey guys newbie to the forum, just got my BB9930 activated last week with Sprint. My old phone was an Android which was cool but decided to make the move back to BB (phone before the droid was a BB Curve). With my droid I was using Foxfi to tether wirelessly to my laptop when I was away from home, loved the app! Worked great without any problems and was surprisingly fast (my droid was 4G). I've been using tether on my BB9930 for about a week and am unhappy with the software. Mine keeps freezing and constantly has to be restarted. The speed, when am connected (I connect via USB), at first is OK but then slows to a crawl. Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any other tether apps for the BB9930 that works well, is reliable and connects via wifi as opposed to Bluetooth or USB, thanks.
    11-08-12 05:02 AM
    Use the built in wifi hotspot, I get good speeds on 3G
    11-08-12 05:08 AM
    Hey guys newbie to the forum, just got my BB9930 activated last week with Sprint. My old phone was an Android which was cool but decided to make the move back to BB (phone before the droid was a BB Curve). With my droid I was using Foxfi to tether wirelessly to my laptop when I was away from home, loved the app! Worked great without any problems and was surprisingly fast (my droid was 4G). I've been using tether on my BB9930 for about a week and am unhappy with the software. Mine keeps freezing and constantly has to be restarted. The speed, when am connected (I connect via USB), at first is OK but then slows to a crawl. Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any other tether apps for the BB9930 that works well, is reliable and connects via wifi as opposed to Bluetooth or USB, thanks.
    Use the built in wifi hotspot, I get good speeds on 3G
    With OS 7.1 wifi hotspot is built in. You can use your phone as a wifi hotspot and use it on anything.
    11-08-12 06:10 AM
    Welcome back to BlackBerry.

Be sure to check with Sprint that they don't charge extra for mobile hotspot. Vodafone don't charge me for using it but some carriers do charge their customers I believe.
    11-08-12 06:17 AM
    like the others said, use the hotspot, really fast.. I even play on xbox live with it, to give you an idea of speed.. if you still want to connect via usb.. you can share your internet connection with blackberry desktop manager, just click on the internet link on the left bottom when manager is open.. hope this help..

Sent from my  Bold
    11-08-12 12:29 PM
    HOT SPOTS is the best. Buying a playbook next week
    11-08-12 07:53 PM
    Sprint charges to use that option, you have to get a tether plan for that. I'm looking for a free way to do it. Foxfi on the droid circumvented the need to buy a tether plan and I'm looking to do the same with my BB. Unless anyone knows of a way to get around having to buy a tethering plan while using BB hotspot.
    Last edited by orp967; 11-11-12 at 01:14 PM.
    11-11-12 01:01 PM
    This is obviously a strech, but how about a PlayBook with a remote desktop application. At the very least it'll get you "free tethering"
    11-11-12 02:03 PM
    This is obviously a strech, but how about a PlayBook with a remote desktop application. At the very least it'll get you "free tethering"
    I've been doing with the trial version of "tether" app I downloaded from the app store. The trial expired, it wasn't as fast as I would've liked and had to connect via USB or bluetooth.

I'm interested in this playbook idea tell me more, how does that work exactly?
    11-11-12 03:06 PM
    Tether Bridge MIS is in App World and works great for me and i upgraded for $20.00 a one time charge for connections
    11-11-12 06:43 PM
    I've been doing with the trial version of "tether" app I downloaded from the app store. The trial expired, it wasn't as fast as I would've liked and had to connect via USB or bluetooth.

I'm interested in this playbook idea tell me more, how does that work exactly?
    The blackberry PlayBook has a great feature called bridge. It allows the tablet to connect to your handhelds radio connection through Bluetooth. It bypasses the whole tethering red flag. So essentially what you could do is install remote desktop on your tablet (which is dirt cheap at the moment, even called best cheap tablet by a well known iOS reviewer) and then bridge your PlayBook to your phone. You'll get around the tethering fee and you'll still be able to do quite a bit. Its not as comprehensive as a laptop (obviously) however it may be enough, depending on what you want to do. Of course all of this will be a lot more viable once BB10 is released with 4G radio technology. Hope this helps
    11-12-12 07:00 AM