Just bit curious about the average life span of any blackberry phones (in years).
    I have noticed few of friends still use company�s 8800/ 8820/ 9000/ 8830.
    They are in excellent condition except scratches and decolouring on front and back, some of keyboard are fully transparent (letters/ numbers are not seen any more) but they work very well.
    And most important�
    What could be the estimated life of BB9900.
    I have never used any bb for more than 8/9 months.
    12-14-11 03:57 AM
    Depends on usage.
    12-14-11 04:26 AM
    I have a museum of various phones in excellent condition. I tend to upgrade every year or so.
    12-14-11 04:59 AM
    my 7100 and 8700g still works flawlessly
    12-14-11 05:32 AM
    It just depends really like stated on usage and how you care for your phone like you said people are still using the 9000 I know a lot of people that do cuz it works for them and they feel they don't need to upgrade. But I would say it could last as long as you cuz I bet there are people out there that still own the orginal cellphones the big bricks from the 80s

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-11 05:40 AM
    I used my 8320 for two years, and when I upgraded to the 8900, the 8320 was still in perfect working condition. I kept the 8900 for a year and then went to the 9780, and again there was absolutely nothing wrong with the 8900 when I upgraded. I still have my 9780 and it's still in excellent shape. I've yet to upgrade because my BB was "worn out". It's always because I want, or have persuaded myself that I want, something that the newer model offers.
    12-14-11 07:48 AM
    I have a museum of various phones in excellent condition. I tend to upgrade every year or so.
    Same here, the longest I've used the same BlackBerry device was 16 months. My 9650 was a great device! The quickest turnover I had was about 10 weeks with my Storm2.
    12-14-11 08:03 AM
    I had my 8330 for years and it was still going strong when I updated to my 9650 which is 18 months old. Like anything else, if taken care of will proably last a long time. Just the other day I saw Blackberry with the "wheel", don't know which model it was, thats before my smartphone time.. However, the older Blackberry was made with heavier materials, not sure about the newer models.
    12-14-11 08:06 AM
    Like Spencerdl, I had my 8330 (PINK!!) for 2 years and 4 months and only stopped using it because I bought the 9650 when it debuted on VZW. I still have the 8330 and it STILL works. They made those like miniature tanks! You can't break the spirit of an 8330. Best little workhorse in the world!

Oh and extreme bbm usage, texting and photos and not one key EVER peeled or chipped or discolored or anything.

Been through 5 handsets of the 9650 in 2 years and three of them have had chipping paint on the keys, including the one I am currently using. But I am very happy with it.
    12-14-11 08:18 AM
    For me it's always been 12-15 months
    12-14-11 08:35 AM
    My Storm 9530 lasted me 2 years before it started eating full batteries every 4h (I had collected a few at this point) before I was forced to upgrade. That was the longest yet.. if I'm on contract I tend to use it for a while, but if I'm buying off-contract it can be as soon as the next big device comes out. The storm lasted me the longest, my Torch was the shortest at 8 months. It just tends to get expensive... If I wasn't doing this for a living I probably wouldn't upgrade so much.

What I've seen in a work environment? An BlackBerry 7100i still being used to this day. What is that 5-6 years now almost?

It REALLY depends on the usage and the user. Some people baby their phones, some people treat it as a hammer. Some don't mind getting use to something and driving it into the ground. Some love getting the latest toy when it comes out. A lot of people just wait for their contract renewal to be up... which is pretty brutal here in Canada at 3 years if you're with the major carriers.
    12-14-11 08:52 AM
    Ive used my 8130 for like 3-4years. Its still working great. Only thing is the battery wasn't keeping his charge like it used to. So I moved to the 9900 But I got to agree with jaydee5799 those pearls are tanks.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    12-14-11 09:00 AM
    Life of a 9900 series, I think is going to be worse than the older phones, quality is much worse than the older phones, IMHO.
    My 9930 bricked last week, got a new one and it is acting weird already, constantly thinking (the old hourglass) Since I got new phone I have left most of my 3rd party apps off and turned all auto sync off.
    I am fairly unhappy with and do not believe this device will last as long as past BB devices I have had. Again, MHO.

I do really like OS7, when phone works as it should.

I had to switch to my 9630 (tour) for a day, everything works as it should, just slow. But I think it is a much better phone vs. the new 9900. BB is sliding down hill, they better get there act together and start getting some quality devices on the market...... or maybe the writing is on the wall.... RIM will be a thing of the past.....

yes, I am still a bit sour from my brick experience and trying to get new phone set back up and finding out how much data was lost and week long ordeal getting outlook to sync back up, ect.... Even verizon tech support after 90 min gave up and said "not our issue, maybe get with BB"

It maybe time for me to try another device.......

Do really like the feel and size of the 9930, just wish it was as durable/reliable as all the old BB used to be
    Last edited by powellcrazy; 12-14-11 at 05:10 PM.
    totallygone likes this.
    12-14-11 09:16 AM
    life of blackberry = duration till the new vers released...
    12-14-11 09:19 AM
    Same here, the longest I've used the same BlackBerry device was 16 months. My 9650 was a great device! The quickest turnover I had was about 10 weeks with my Storm2.
    OK, the Storm2 was the exception to what I posted above. Not only it is not part of my museum,but I kept it less than 24 hours.....

Now, there are 2 phones I would like to still have today.My first one with a big cradle in a carrying case that was like a shoulder bag. Like a second world war army phone. The second one being the banana, or the brick (ahah, no pun intended). Can you imagine putting the banana on the table in a fashionable restaurant?
    12-14-11 10:55 AM
    life of blackberry = duration till the new vers released...
    For some people maybe
    salexs11 likes this.
    12-14-11 11:14 AM
    I have an employee who still uses his Blackberry 75XX unit. It has the track wheel on the side and is barely color. It looks like new because back then the plastic was quality and the same color through and through. I still cherish my unused 7520 when Nextel was around.
    12-14-11 11:14 AM
    I'd say the battery will probably give out before the phone will and that, depending on usage, can take years.
    the longests i've ever owned a blackberry was my 8900 which i had for two years. it was solid. never had a problem with it.

I do have to say, however, that the new blackberry devices feel less rugged. probably due in part to the fact they're getting prettier.
    12-14-11 12:28 PM
    For me it depends on whether I get into hot tubs with them in my pocket or leave them in the hotel room My 8330 got drowned that way when it was almost two years old.

My boss uses his phones etc til they die or are in the throes at least. He's still using his 3 year old 8330 which is amazing considering the abuse; there's not much paint left on it anymore it must be rock solid though.

Most of my phones outlive the contracts but I like technology so they pile up in my drawer.
    12-14-11 08:17 PM
    I have always sold my BBs after moving to the next model. I don't like to accumulate stuff that sits around unused. But I may keep my 9780. For one thing, until the bricking issue is solved, I may need a backup. But it's also just such a good phone I hate to let it go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-11 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD