I've been using a Classic and Z30 for a few months, but I was playing around with my 9900 over the weekend. When I open YouTube and try to play any video, the screen goes black and we see the Buffering message as usual. It sits there for about 20-30 sec, then comes back with one of the following two messages:

"An error has occurred attempting to play media."
    "Content not available. Server is blocked or unresponsive."

Most of the errors shown are the latter one.

So is this it, no more YouTube on BBOS devices? Or is there a workaround or third party app which addresses this?

For anyone still using a 9900, please give it a try and report back as I am curious to know if it's working for anyone else.
    08-03-15 01:54 PM
    If it is a BlackBerry thing, I'm thinking it's HTML5.
    YouTube stopped using Flash a fair while back and now uses HTML5 for all it's content.
    The older, legacy, BlackBerry YouTube app most likely was built using a Flash run-time core and I'm not sure if any of the legacy browsers could do HTML5.
    08-03-15 02:59 PM
    This makes sense... I had heard that YouTube was switching over to HTML5 from Flash, but I didn't know exactly when. Last I was using the 9900 full time was around March 2015, and YouTube worked perfectly fine for me.
    08-03-15 03:38 PM
    Tried you tube on 9900 today on network and Wi Fi all working ok in UK.
    DaFoxGrey and terminatorx like this.
    08-03-15 05:23 PM
    Thanks for checking, that's good to know it's still working for you! Glad about that, as it means it shouldn't be a general YouTube issue affecting legacy devices.

It would seem there is a long history of this issue intermittently affecting BBOS users. The following thread is an indication - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-reset-771915/

Funny thing is, I gave it a try after disabling my wifi, and YouTube and the mobile site work perfectly. Videos load and play back without any errors.

Once I enable my wifi, I get these errors. I just finished a 2 hour session of relentlessly trying all sorts of tunings on my wifi router, from enabling/disabling WPA/WPA2, cipher types, QoS settings, to even turning off wifi security altogether. Nothing gives, and I still get the same error every time when watching any YouTube video over wifi.

I never encountered this issue as recently as March. Maybe I changed some setting, but I can't remember. I wouldn't think YouTube playing off a wifi connection would be so sensitive?

I guess I'll have to wait for an open wifi hotspot and try it off someone else's router to see if it shows the same problem.
    08-03-15 06:16 PM
    Hi.... Youtube is working on my 9900 in Canada too, over wifi. I don't have a SIM in my 9900 right now, so that's all I checked.
    terminatorx likes this.
    08-03-15 11:43 PM
    Thanks for checking.
    08-04-15 11:35 AM
    Wow - didn't know youtube still worked on these things.

I have the "an error occured ..." error on wi-fi. "Plays" on VZW network, but choppy and pixelated.

I find watching youtube via my old HTC + chromecast in HD the only way to go. Not worth watching on small screens.
    terminatorx likes this.
    08-09-15 03:10 PM
    I have BIS and YouTube works 100% perfectly
    08-10-15 02:07 AM
    Hi
    Just to confirm YouTube works fine on a 9900 in France both on wifi and data.
    Good luck!
    08-10-15 02:36 AM
    I think you won't be surprised by another report of it just being you. I'd say you try tomorrow on someone elses wifi. I mean your work or a local coffee shop.

Of course I just came down from putting my daughter to sleep and us both watching peppa pig just fine over wifi.

Try clearing your cookies. Battery pull. I mean you said it worked just fine over cell phone connection.

Good luck. But it aint your bblackberry at fault.
    08-10-15 09:32 PM
    I've been using a Classic and Z30 for a few months, but I was playing around with my 9900 over the weekend. When I open YouTube and try to play any video, the screen goes black and we see the Buffering message as usual. It sits there for about 20-30 sec, then comes back with one of the following two messages:

"An error has occurred attempting to play media."
    "Content not available. Server is blocked or unresponsive."

Most of the errors shown are the latter one.

So is this it, no more YouTube on BBOS devices? Or is there a workaround or third party app which addresses this?

For anyone still using a 9900, please give it a try and report back as I am curious to know if it's working for anyone else.
    09-16-15 07:33 PM
    It doesn't seem to be working on BIS... Unless i've got data.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-17-15 11:42 AM
    There was a period last year where YouTube would not work on these things, but they've fixed that.

The OS7 browser is HTML5 ready. It's actually a very good broswer, close to desktop capability, if you have the patience to wait for it to do its thing.
    outlooker likes this.
    09-17-15 08:38 PM
    My 9900's youtube playback is perfect... Both via BIS while over network signal and even better on WiFi... I know when my signal was awful I would just download to youtube video directly to my device and save it before playback...

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 06:49 AM