Well I kind of knew this was going to happen, but not so soon. Anyway, yes the beautiful Carbon Fiber looking battery cover is not only a smudge monster, but is a scratch magnet. Just pulled the battery to put my SD card from my old 9700 in, and as I was admiring the nice looking carbon esq cover, I noticed 1 large hair line scratch right down the middle, and a few small ones off to the side. Keep in mind this thing has been baby'd since I took it out of the box. Honestly, I love the look, but I'll take the leather back from the previous Bold series, way more durable, and no worries with scratches if your rockin your phone naked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SeanNYC76; 08-20-11 at 03:13 AM.
    08-20-11 03:11 AM
    somebody will make new back plates soon
    08-20-11 03:26 AM
    I hope so...I'd really like a leather back with a Carbon Fiber look...
    08-20-11 03:36 AM
    Unless they can make new covers with the NFC antenna built in as is the original then you will lose NFC (if thats usefull/will be usefull to you)

S.
    08-20-11 04:25 AM
    You should be able to buff scratches out on the cover
    08-20-11 07:09 AM
    I wonder how much these will be considering the NFC is attached to the battery door?
    08-20-11 07:25 AM
    I wonder how much these will be considering the NFC is attached to the battery door?
    they will be more expensive than they were in the past if you want the NFC. also i heard that coveroo will not be engraving these doors do to obvious reasons
    08-20-11 07:39 AM
    Yeah its a shame, but my front left pants pocket is exclusively for my phones and NOTHING else gets in there. So there is little chance of any scratches. It would be a pity to have to put a skin or case over such a beauty.

Got the pod for bedside use, now just waiting for a desk sync cradle so as not to have it sitting around on a desk either.

er... Once I actually get a 9900 of course...

lol
    08-20-11 07:44 AM
    You should be able to buff scratches out on the cover
    Hmm...I can't see getting scratches out on it. Its like Black Piano wood, which I have in my Car. Once a scratch gets on the surface , its in there. I think a skin is probably the safest way to go if scratches and stuff are bothersome. And putting this thing in one's pocket naked will deff invite scratches, all it takes is one lil piece of sand to ruin such a pretty looking Back plate.
    08-20-11 09:11 AM
    Hmm...I can't see getting scratches out on it. Its like Black Piano wood, which I have in my Car. Once a scratch gets on the surface , its in there. I think a skin is probably the safest way to go if scratches and stuff are bothersome. And putting this thing in one's pocket naked will deff invite scratches, all it takes is one lil piece of sand to ruin such a pretty looking Back plate.
    It WILL buff out. I have used ultra fine polish and it remove the scuffs and makes it look like new. Just remove it from the device first and have at it.
    08-20-11 09:15 AM
    i think it has to be protected with those anti scratch plastic film. just need to get one installed. all the screens, bat cover etc
    08-20-11 09:20 AM
    Get some vinyl covering for it now! It even comes in CF look and will protect it and not interfere with the NFC antenna.
    08-20-11 09:56 AM
    It WILL buff out. I have used ultra fine polish and it remove the scuffs and makes it look like new. Just remove it from the device first and have at it.
    Greg...what's up ol BB Forum buddy...my how far we've come from the 8300 days...lol! Anyway, what Polish are you using, one that would be used for a car, and what company? Hope all is well man...

08-20-11 10:03 AM
    I can tell that this back is going to get scratches no matter how much I baby it. Oh well.
    08-20-11 10:07 AM
    Ive still got the plastic on the back until my case comes...lol
    08-20-11 11:54 AM
    Yeah, I can confirm the hairline / micro-scratches. Had this device for one day, already getting microscratches... sigh.
    08-20-11 12:10 PM
    RIM has a good reputation for make bad quality devices now.
    Everyone makes mistakes.
    zeteo likes this.
    08-20-11 12:23 PM
    Yeah its a shame, but my front left pants pocket is exclusively for my phones
    I take it you're not planning on having any children?

08-20-11 12:34 PM
    Thanks! Just looked at mine and noticed its scratched

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-20-11 12:45 PM
    Just get a case for it. You got to protect that beast!! lol
    08-20-11 12:49 PM
    Greg...what's up ol BB Forum buddy...my how far we've come from the 8300 days...lol! Anyway, what Polish are you using, one that would be used for a car, and what company? Hope all is well man...

It is made by Dupont, it is really an old container but any automotive store should have. Even a "cleaner" auto wax will have enough fine abrasive to get rid of average scratches.

Yep we ALL have come a long way. I used to spend my time in Howard Forums but CB is by far the best on the Internet!
    08-20-11 01:17 PM
    The back plate is the way it is because the NFC antenna is there and the back needed to be thin (yet durable) in order to pick up NFC signals quickly and accuratly. I'm sure there will be companies that make alternative backplates, but they will also struggle with the same problems as RIM did.

08-20-11 01:59 PM
    I am not covering mine I like the way the phone is without a cover. I pay for insurance not for a cover anymore.

08-21-11 09:31 AM
    Ive still got the plastic on the back until my case comes...lol
    +1

or until it falls off but that thing is holding tight lol
    08-21-11 11:36 AM
    Hey, the 3M Dinoc Carbon Fiber pattern vinyl covering is way cool. Gives it a nice texture and good grip surface. Also doesn't scratch or make it hard to slide into and out of pockets, etc. Try it, you'll like it!
    08-21-11 11:41 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD