I asked this question a month ago to the crackberry 9930 forum, but apparentley got the wrong answer. I had a 9650 that got wet so I took it into verizon corp store. . and they replaced it with a 9930 with asurion insurance. They were out of 9650 so asurion said for them to give me a new bold, the rep told me they were going to charge asurion $509. So i was pretty happy and then all this bricking started showing up on the forum. So I asked the forum contributors if my warranty was 1 year or asurions warranty of 90 days. the overall opinon was I had a new full 1 year warranty since I received the phone in a sealed box.
    I was on the phone with Verizon today about another issue and asked them this question. They told me I only have the 90 day warranty from asurion because I never purchased the phone I still have an update available. So I guess if my phone is going to brick, it better do so in the next 60 days.

There answer sounds reasonable to me. I wonder however if you think I could mount and win an argument if the phone bricks after the 90 days?
    Last edited by Betmen; 12-13-11 at 01:44 PM.
    12-13-11 01:40 PM
    I asked this question a month ago to crackberry contributors, but apparantley got the wrong answer. I had a 9650 that got wet so I took it into verizon corp. and they replaced it with a 9930 with asurion insurance. They were out of 9650 so asurion said for them to give me a new bold, the rep told me they were going to charge asurion $509So i was pretty happy and then all this bricking started showing up on the forum. So I asked the forum contributors if my warranty was 1 year or asurions warranty of 90 days. the overall opinon was I had a new full 1 year warranty since I received the phone in a sealed box. So I was on the phone with Verizon today about another issue and asked them this question.
    They told me I only have the 90 day warranty from asurion because I never purchased the phone I still have an update available. So I guess if my phone is going to brick it better do so in the next 60 days.

There answer sounds reasonable to me. I wonder however if you think I could mount and win an argument if the phone bricks after the 90 days?
    You're worried about the handset you have bricking after 90 days and not being covered when your upgrade is in 60? Why not upgrade on your upgrade date and skip the worry and possible confusion?
    12-13-11 01:45 PM
    This isn't unusual, the warranty on my Brand New In Box 9650 was 90 days, when I turned in my Tour. Who says your 9930 is going to brick anyway? Just because someone else has a problem doesn't necessarily mean you will. You have an upgrade soon, so if your 9930 bricks, you have that to fall back on.

VZW is right, you didn't purchase the 9930. Asurion is going to pay for it (less your deductible of course).
    12-13-11 01:52 PM
    I asked this question a month ago to the crackberry 9930 forum, but apparentley got the wrong answer. I had a 9650 that got wet so I took it into verizon corp store. . and they replaced it with a 9930 with asurion insurance. They were out of 9650 so asurion said for them to give me a new bold, the rep told me they were going to charge asurion $509. So i was pretty happy and then all this bricking started showing up on the forum. So I asked the forum contributors if my warranty was 1 year or asurions warranty of 90 days. the overall opinon was I had a new full 1 year warranty since I received the phone in a sealed box.
    I was on the phone with Verizon today about another issue and asked them this question. They told me I only have the 90 day warranty from asurion because I never purchased the phone I still have an update available. So I guess if my phone is going to brick, it better do so in the next 60 days.

there's a fix for bricked 99xx's.. i can help, or just search the forums
    12-13-11 02:35 PM

I also had my verizon 9330 replaced with a verizon 9930 thru asurion a cpl months ago. Asurion gave me a brand new 9930 since they had no more 9330. When they replaced the phone they told me tht I had a 1 year warranty. To double check tht I did, I just spoke to asurian today and they confirmed tht I had a 1 year warranty. So I'm sure u do as well. Here's the number to them if u want to confirm wht u hve. 888-881-2622.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-11 02:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies, but i didn't make myself clear. I have an update in July 2011 that I never used because i loved my 9650. When i wreccked my phone I needed a replacement immediatly.
    Verizon and Asurion were very accomodating with the a replacement of a factory fresh 9930.

My point is if my phone broke after the 90 day Asurion warranty and there was no fix for the bricking issue would I gamble on another BB. I love RIM, but i'm pretty frieghtened with all ths publicity.

SO, a 1 year warranty would have been nice but maybe I'm being a little selfish.
    12-13-11 02:45 PM
    That's pretty standard across the board with electronics to prevent abuse. Some companies won't even give a 90 day warranty on the replacement.

The best that this was explained to me is that your original purchase includes the warranty. Since there was no new transaction, you're not entitled to a new warranty.

To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely no requirement for a company to give you a warranty (even on your original purchase). This is a customer courtesy to instill trust in a company. If you'd like details, see "Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act".

You mentioned Asurion. If you have insurance, wouldn't they cover the phone anyways (after paying a deductible)?
    12-13-11 03:05 PM
    That's pretty standard across the board with electronics to prevent abuse. Some companies won't even give a 90 day warranty on the replacement.

The best that this was explained to me is that your original purchase includes the warranty. Since there was no new transaction, you're not entitled to a new warranty.

To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely no requirement for a company to give you a warranty (even on your original purchase). This is a customer courtesy to instill trust in a company. If you'd like details, see "Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act".

You mentioned Asurion. If you have insurance, wouldn't they cover the phone anyways (after paying a deductible)?
    You want me to break out the Law books! You're only allowed 2 replacements a year and then your tossed out. I understand completely what your're saying but on the other side of the coin I gave up a phone that wasn't troubled and had an AF camera. Now I have this gorgeous new phone that could blow at any minute. Again I'm not trying to be unreasonable but a 1 year warranty in this situation would have been comforting. Thanks for your interest and comments!
    12-13-11 03:22 PM
    ...but on the other side of the coin I gave up a phone that wasn't troubled and had an AF camera...
    If your 9650 was so great you should have kept it.
    12-13-11 03:25 PM
    If your 9650 was so great you should have kept it.
    As I stated earlier they were out of stock of the 9650, so the 9930 was the closest thing they had. Look I was pretty excited with this situation and all the courtesy from everyone involved. Its just scarey if this problem isn't resolve soon. thanks again everyone.
    12-13-11 03:38 PM
    You want me to break out the Law books! You're only allowed 2 replacements a year and then your tossed out. I understand completely what your're saying but on the other side of the coin I gave up a phone that wasn't troubled and had an AF camera. Now I have this gorgeous new phone that could blow at any minute. Again I'm not trying to be unreasonable but a 1 year warranty in this situation would have been comforting. Thanks for your interest and comments!
    Like I said above I have a new 9930 tht came frm asurion as well. It replaced my 9330 tht broke. I spoke to them today and they said I have a 1 year warranty on it. I suggest tht u just call them to find out. They were very helpful when I spoke to them today. Its nice to know tht if anything happens with my 9930 I have a full year warranty. Good luck to you.

12-13-11 03:41 PM
    Like I said above I have a new 9930 tht came frm asurion as well. It replaced my 9330 tht broke. I spoke to them today and they said I have a 1 year warranty on it. I suggest tht u just call them to find out. They were very helpful when I spoke to them today. Its nice to know tht if anything happens with my 9930 I have a full year warranty. Good luck to you.

Thanks jordan559, I will
    12-13-11 03:45 PM

I know in Canada there is only a minimum 30 day warranty required by law, after that it's up to either who you bought it from or the manufacturer, usually the standard warranty is 1 year.

I work for Ford and there is a 36/60 mo/km warranty, if you have a repair done under warranty say at 35 mo and 29 days or at 59999 km then there is a 3 mo/5000 km warranty period, but if you purchased an extended warranty and had repairs done under that, there is usually a $100 deductible, but even if you didn't have to fork over a dime because you paid extra to have a $0 deductible, it is still considered retail so it would have a 12 mo/20000 km warranty.

Now I'm not sure if that's law or Ford's policy but the premise is still the same. If there retail warranty is 1 year, and it's replaced under an insurance plan, that's a retail purchase so the warranty should be along the lines of there retail policy.

Hope this helps!! But maybe the law's are different in the US??
    12-13-11 04:18 PM
    there's a fix for bricked 99xx's.. i can help, or just search the forums
    Please tell us where it is. Last I checked, RIM had publicly stated that they were working on a software patch, but nothing has yet been made available. So, if you have that fix - please share it with everyone. I'm sure there are many here who would be grateful to you for that - including me!
    12-13-11 04:49 PM
    I know in Canada there is only a minimum 30 day warranty required by law, after that it's up to either who you bought it from or the manufacturer, usually the standard warranty is 1 year.

I work for Ford and there is a 36/60 mo/km warranty, if you have a repair done under warranty say at 35 mo and 29 days or at 59999 km then there is a 3 mo/5000 km warranty period, but if you purchased an extended warranty and had repairs done under that, there is usually a $100 deductible, but even if you didn't have to fork over a dime because you paid extra to have a $0 deductible, it is still considered retail so it would have a 12 mo/20000 km warranty.

Now I'm not sure if that's law or Ford's policy but the premise is still the same. If there retail warranty is 1 year, and it's replaced under an insurance plan, that's a retail purchase so the warranty should be along the lines of there retail policy.

Hope this helps!! But maybe the law's are different in the US??
    I had not understood that to be the case in Canada. Warranty does not extend here due to a claim/repayment/repair, AFAIK. They can if they like but are not required by law to do so...I believe. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the 1st time either. LOL

Maybe Ford has their own policy? I know GM doesn't do things that way. Maybe that's why they Chapter 11'd...LOL
    12-13-11 04:54 PM
    Maybe I'm ******** but, isn't the phone under a 1 year manufacturer's warranty (by RIM)? Are we talking warranty here or insurance - completely different animals.
    12-13-11 05:17 PM
    Maybe I'm ******** but, isn't the phone under a 1 year manufacturer's warranty (by RIM)? Are we talking warranty here or insurance - completely different animals.
    Thats an interesting question. My experience in the US is when the phone breaks you take it back to the carrier. I always buy my phone from a corp. store as opposed to a franchise store. When I've had trouble with a phone'in the past, I just called Verizon and they would send me out a replacement immediatley within the first year. I never tried gong to BB, and I hope I never have to. If there RMA's is like there tech support omg. I'm guessing the quickest way to solve a problem is thru your carrier.
    12-13-11 06:04 PM
    I had not understood that to be the case in Canada. Warranty does not extend here due to a claim/repayment/repair, AFAIK. They can if they like but are not required by law to do so...I believe. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the 1st time either. LOL

Maybe Ford has their own policy? I know GM doesn't do things that way. Maybe that's why they Chapter 11'd...LOL
    Likely is just good customer service by Ford, or they may have been challanged in court and lost and now have adopted the policy...who knows?? This is how my boss explained it, and to my knowledge we haven't had a claim refused on this basis, believe me they would have corrected us real quick.
    12-13-11 06:16 PM
    Thats an interesting question. My experience in the US is when the phone breaks you take it back to the carrier. I always buy my phone from a corp. store as opposed to a franchise store. When I've had trouble with a phone'in the past, I just called Verizon and they would send me out a replacement immediatley within the first year. I never tried gong to BB, and I hope I never have to. If there RMA's is like there tech support omg. I'm guessing the quickest way to solve a problem is thru your carrier.
    Now again I'm speaking from experience in Canada, you have to remember that any warranty for any product is from the manufacturer, but if you buy it from say Futureshop or Best Buy, your warranty is still from the manufacturer, they may act as a go between and warranty on the spot, but they don't have to, they only have to offer a 30 day warranty minimum by law.

Just like in my Ford land?? My dealership is an individually owned company, we are not Ford, but we act as a go between or a warranty agent, between clients and Ford.
    12-13-11 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD