I have a 9930 I bought directly from Verizon. A couple of weeks ago my IS Department loaded v 7.1.0.355, which is not a Verizon release. But even after Verizon released .580, my phone says it is up to date and no updates are available. This is so for both OTA and DM. Anyone know why this is?

BTW - .355 works great and I don't need to update. I'm just curious why it doesn't work.

TIA
    08-15-12 01:29 PM
    Seems strange that your IT Department would install a C Spire Wireless OS on a Verizon device

If it's not showing an available update to .580 then they must have locked it to .355 via an IT Policy.

What Vendor ID does your phone show? (Alt + Right Shift + H)
    08-15-12 03:08 PM
    Since you don't have a VZW-released OS loaded on your phone, you won't see an available update either OTA or through DM. You'll have to load an older VZW OS (like .163) for the update to show up.
    08-15-12 03:24 PM
    Since you don't have a VZW-released OS loaded on your phone, you won't see an available update either OTA or through DM. You'll have to load an older VZW OS (like .163) for the update to show up.
    You won't see an available update for OTA if you're not running an official OS from your carrier... but DM will always show available updates, provided the OS you're running is lower than the newer one available, which in this case it is.
    08-15-12 03:34 PM
    IT locked it down. That sucks big time. My mother got given an 8900 corporately, now she's no power user but when she came to see me I plugged it in knowing there was an updated OS, nothing. She wasn't allowed access to BBM or App world either. I don't see why they'd block it, but maybe a BES admin like Steve could shine some light on the matter why they'd block it.
    08-15-12 04:40 PM
    I am a BES admin and i can tell you that we do not allow users to install OS updates because we want to ensure that all devices are consistent in terms of features, performance and stability. We internally test new releases and then push them out to the users from the BES after we approve them.

We also block appworld and 3rd party apps. This is again done for consistency across devices to ensure they are stable and perform well for our users. We internally test and approve apps and then release them for install from the BES
    08-15-12 05:56 PM
    You won't see an available update for OTA if you're not running an official OS from your carrier... but DM will always show available updates, provided the OS you're running is lower than the newer one available, which in this case it is.
    Thanks. I don't see the update on either DM or OTA. That is a mystery. And while it's possible, I don't think my IT Dept. would lock it. It's my phone - I bought it.

TIA
    08-15-12 06:29 PM
    Thanks. I don't see the update on either DM or OTA. That is a mystery. And while it's possible, I don't think my IT Dept. would lock it. It's my phone - I bought it.

TIA
    If it's your phone, then why did you give it to your IT dept. to install someone else's OS on it?
    08-15-12 07:25 PM
    Perhaps that's your experience in the UK, but I can tell you that I did not see the 580 update in DM until Big Red released it, even though Sprint had it out almost two weeks earlier. I've been using just about every flavor of released OS and a few hybrids since VZW released 163 in January, and I did not see any updates in DM for my VZW 9930 until they dropped 580.
    08-15-12 08:00 PM
    Perhaps that's your experience in the UK, but I can tell you that I did not see the 580 update in DM until Big Red released it, even though Sprint had it out almost two weeks earlier. I've been using just about every flavor of released OS and a few hybrids since VZW released 163 in January, and I did not see any updates in DM for my VZW 9930 until they dropped 580.
    DM will only notify you of official OS updates from your carrier... it's the same in any country.
    08-15-12 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD