I've been on the fence regarding the 9930 primarily because of the reports of what it is lacking but I was contemplating giving it a whirl pending further user reviews sometime in October.

I just got off the phone with Verizon support and was told of their change in policy which in effect stopped me dead in my tracks from potentially upgrading my two year old Tour. Essentially what I was told is that if I upgrade now with a two year contract I will not be eligible to upgrade again for two years (20 months). Previously, Verizon allowed its customers to upgrade phone after a year even if on a two year contract. Now you have to wait two years period with the only exception is if they have a promotion going on that allows a customer to upgrade at a specific time.

My Tour 9630 is two years old and began to feel old after 6 months of owning it, I can't imagine buying a 3G phone knowing there will be a new operating system, 4G, and so many other things in the immediate future to get locked in like this for two years. And, I'm not buying a phone for full retail price for the "privilege" of being to upgrade later.

I'm writing this to Verizon customers who are on the fence like myself to assist in making an educated decision in what is best for their situations and to suggest people on other carriers to know all the terms of their purchase before diving in. Don't take any policy for granted because that's how it was during your last upgrade.
    08-20-11 12:51 PM
    I think it's worth doing. The 9930 is such an improvement even over the Bold 9650! Just yesterday I was helping someone with a Bold 9650 and kept trying to touch the screen! I've gotten used to it that fast. The speed and the browser are so much better and the keyboard is great.

The thing is that we really don't know when an LTE model and/or QNX phones will be available and actually "ready" for mass consumption. If you can afford it, I think it's worth doing the upgrade as soon as possible to start that 20 month time frame. Frequently you will still get a discount after a year, just not as much.
    08-20-11 01:24 PM
    Its a few dollars more, but the simple answer is to get the 9930 with a one year contract renewal - that's what I did when I upgraded from the Tour to my 9650 just 15 months ago. So now I'm awaiting the 9850 release, and have an upgrade awaiting me when they do (plus another $50 "customer loyalty" discount, woohoo!).

I really don't see a QNX phone being released in January. If you do a one year contract renewal now, in 10 months it'll only be June, which is more realistic for the Colt IMHO. And your 9930 certainly won't be outdated by then.
    08-20-11 01:32 PM
    I'll have to investigate the price for a one year contract with Verizon (if they still offer those), and see if it's worth it. My Tour 9630 has been a solid performer but I would like to experience a better browser and WiFi would be nice to have also. I think many Tour owners are being cautious because we know all too well what it's like to see a new phone introduced a few months after being an early adopter of a "Flagship" Blackberry and get stuck in a contract.
    08-20-11 03:19 PM
    Th 9930 is way worth the upgrade over the 9630. 1.2 ghz processor enough said
    08-20-11 03:22 PM
    Its a few dollars more, but the simple answer is to get the 9930 with a one year contract renewal - that's what I did when I upgraded from the Tour to my 9650 just 15 months ago. So now I'm awaiting the 9850 release, and have an upgrade awaiting me when they do (plus another $50 "customer loyalty" discount, woohoo!).

I really don't see a QNX phone being released in January. If you do a one year contract renewal now, in 10 months it'll only be June, which is more realistic for the Colt IMHO. And your 9930 certainly won't be outdated by then.
    Verizon no longer offers 1 year contracts. They were discontinued a number of months ago. As far as the OP's complaint about the elimination of the annual upgrade, that happened back in February just before the iPhone was introduced on the Verizon network so it is also old news.

I agree that even though a QNX phone may be released in the next 6-8 months, it will be at least a year after that before they are 'bug free' and useable (without hassle) on LTE. Best example of that is the current state of LTE, it is at best a poor/unreliable network after being in place for more than 6 months and not much improvement in sight.
    08-20-11 04:07 PM
    LTE is a poor and unreliable network? Say wha?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 05:36 PM
    Previously, Verizon allowed its customers to upgrade phone after a year even if on a two year contract.
    Last I knew the primary line on a multi-line account was eligible for annual upgrades.
    08-20-11 05:42 PM
    Verizon is not alone in doing this. Earlier this year Sprint id the same. used to be if you were a premier account customer (129.00 plan) the primary phone of the account could upgrade every 12 months. Now you have to have a 169.00 plan to upgrade every year. Everyone else is every 22 months now.
    08-20-11 06:04 PM
    I think all the carriers are changing policy concerning upgrades just as they changed the policy concerning early termination fees. I know AT&T will allow upgrade when you are not eligible but they tack on an additional surcharge and the upgrade price is not always their lowest price but usually less than full retail price. That is unless you are selecting the IPHONE and then they seem to desire you to upgrade quickly
    08-20-11 06:15 PM
    I am amazed how anyone could stick with a phone that didn't have wifi, lol.

Just sayin', especially being a smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 10:31 PM
    I am amazed how anyone could stick with a phone that didn't have wifi, lol.
    +1! I didn't understand what the big deal was until I got my 9650 and a wireless router. Made a WORLD of difference. Now I'm always looking for hotspots.
    08-21-11 06:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD