I upgraded via the desktop manager with no issues.

When did they start formatting phone numbers? I always found it difficult to read numbers without spacing like 18005551212 versus it now showing 1 (800) 555-1212. Also the font when entering searches seems larger. Both are well appreciated.

Also it was nice to see 95% as a battery level instead of it dropping from 100% straight to 92%.

The aforementioned Application Resource Monitor is a nice touch. For example, I had opened Google Maps and accidentally left it open. ARM later kicked it for me. It would be nice to set thresholds for individual applications, however. And yes, Vlingo kept getting kicked for me, as well.

Finally, I need to observe this more closely but with the 3,000 mAh Seideo battery the percentages are definitely dropping more slowly than normal. However I will not make a proclamation until I've run through a few full charge cycles.
    08-04-12 11:11 PM
    So I noticed very little changes:
    - cosmetic change to the alarm clock setting button
    - the ability to disable the emergency notification, except for the Presidential Alert.
    - when you moved a icon to your Favorites, you can still see it elsewhere. So like my Facebook app is in my Favorites, and I can also see it under my Social Media folder.
    08-04-12 11:32 PM
    Thanks Dustanh!

I downgraded and then attempted to upgrade via OTA. It gave me an error for the upgrade, and suggest I plug into a computer. I did just that, got a notification for upgrade, and did just that. Poof! Done and Success in under an hour.

I was gonna throw the thing in the air as I yell "Pull!", but you save me my phone

So

Glad it worked out for you. Love the pin pull!

Feeding my  addiction with Tapatalk�
    08-05-12 02:20 AM
    Got my phone upgraded last night and my husband's phone this morning via desktop manager. So far everything is good. Very simple, pretty fast upgrade for each phone (~one hour each phone including getting certain apps running again with accepting license agreements and entering passwords).

I ran into the BeWeather license issue. Entering my email address didn't work, so I sent an email to [email protected] and waiting for a response.

We also lost access to the Device Analyzer but did as folks previously mentioned (alt BBDA). Thank you!!

I play music all the time with my phone and hope this version resolves the random lockups I was experiencing. I also hope I never see the little clock (which really was not that bad). I took the opportunity to remove some apps that I had not been using. I think we are good to go!

OH! and I love the Application Resource Monitor. It has shutdown Vlingo twice on my phone already and once on my husband's phone. I don't use Vlingo that much for it to be a power hog.
    Last edited by janerblue; 08-05-12 at 07:01 AM. Reason: More info
    08-05-12 06:48 AM
    I did the OTA update with took about 4 hours total on less than exceptional reception. I also had an issue with app world afterward. I would attempt to download something and it would freeze. After researching, I had found another person who had this issue. They deleted app world, downgraded to the old version, upgraded again, and downloaded it off the website. Works great now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-05-12 09:30 AM
    I just updated my 9930 with sprint's .580 three days ago because verizon wasn't releasing their official update. I guess I'll have to update again with verizon's now.

Can someone confirm if multi-language has korean on it?

edit: I was confused because the .580 for sprint had multi and all language. I figured out multi does include the other languages.
    It's the same OS.
    I'm not so sure it's exactly the same. First off, I agree with the above posts in that this build works very well. Better battery life for sure, maybe a stronger radio. The jury is still out on that.

Here's why I think it may be a little different. I also have a 9930 and am on Verizon's network. I upgraded OTA from Verizon (it does take forever!). The first thing I noticed was a new tiny little icon just to the left of my home network name at the very top of the screen. It isn't easy to see but it's a tiny little house (complete with chimney... look with a magnifying glass) with "radiation bars" coming from the top of the house. Think small WiFi bars pointing up.

After doing some experimenting to see what it was, it seems that it is an icon for telling me that I'm under Verizon Wireless network extender coverage! I've had an extender ever since I've lived in this apartment because I'm in a severe cell phone hole here and without the extender I'd barely be able to use my phone. The only way, before this update, to tell if I was on extender coverage was to dial #48 and listen for a message. Now I only have to see if the icon is displayed.

I'm thinking that this must come from Verizon as RIM really has nothing to do with the extender. Any other Verizon updaters notice this?
    08-05-12 06:28 PM
    I'm not so sure it's exactly the same. First off, I agree with the above posts in that this build works very well. Better battery life for sure, maybe a stronger radio. The jury is still out on that.

Here's why I think it may be a little different. I also have a 9930 and am on Verizon's network. I upgraded OTA from Verizon (it does take forever!). The first thing I noticed was a new tiny little icon just to the left of my home network name at the very top of the screen. It isn't easy to see but it's a tiny little house (complete with chimney... look with a magnifying glass) with "radiation bars" coming from the top of the house. Think small WiFi bars pointing up.

After doing some experimenting to see what it was, it seems that it is an icon for telling me that I'm under Verizon Wireless network extender coverage! I've had an extender ever since I've lived in this apartment because I'm in a severe cell phone hole here and without the extender I'd barely be able to use my phone. The only way, before this update, to tell if I was on extender coverage was to dial #48 and listen for a message. Now I only have to see if the icon is displayed.

I'm thinking that this must come from Verizon as RIM really has nothing to do with the extender. Any other Verizon updaters notice this?
    Same exact OS. Comes from RIM. The network extender is pushed from your carrier...regardless of what OS you have on your phone. Want to spend the time? Go ahead and wipe and re-install. It's the same OS.
    08-05-12 06:47 PM
    Same exact OS. Comes from RIM. The network extender is pushed from your carrier...regardless of what OS you have on your phone. Want to spend the time? Go ahead and wipe and re-install. It's the same OS.
    I'm sure you're right. I have no way to know where the OS comes from, who might or might not tweak it on the way. All I really know is that I have a new icon on my Bold 9300 and it signifies that I'm under network extender coverage.

If RIM was thoughtful enough to include such a thing for us Verizon users in it's latest OS then I thank them.
    08-05-12 07:38 PM
    Got my phone upgraded last night and my husband's phone this morning via desktop manager. So far everything is good. Very simple, pretty fast upgrade for each phone (~one hour each phone including getting certain apps running again with accepting license agreements and entering passwords).

I ran into the BeWeather license issue. Entering my email address didn't work, so I sent an email to [email protected] and waiting for a response.

We also lost access to the Device Analyzer but did as folks previously mentioned (alt BBDA). Thank you!!

I play music all the time with my phone and hope this version resolves the random lockups I was experiencing. I also hope I never see the little clock (which really was not that bad). I took the opportunity to remove some apps that I had not been using. I think we are good to go!

OH! and I love the Application Resource Monitor. It has shutdown Vlingo twice on my phone already and once on my husband's phone. I don't use Vlingo that much for it to be a power hog.

I also had the Be Weather problem even after "update all" in app world. I uninstalled it and installed the free version which is working fine.

Overall, it is an exceptional OS. I have only had it for 5 hours but the battery drain rate has dropped noticeably. Application resource monitor seems to be on top of all apps not being used but using resources.

Also, the radio and wi-fi signals appear to be stronger.

have seen very little clocking other than when my news app was populating 3,000+ news articles for me and that only lasted 20 secs.

Noticeable improvements and nicely packaged. I am a very happy Bold owner!!!!!!!

08-06-12 07:17 PM
    I just installed it this weekend. After 13 hours off the charger I am at 85%! Sonofa, I have never had battery life like this in anything!!! Loving it so far. As far as Beweather I was unusually smart and saved the key code! Haha!
    08-06-12 07:37 PM
    I have both the 9930 and the 9850 and .580 has shown great improvement in battery life and no more freeze ups on either device. Why couldn't rim get this right the first time lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    08-06-12 08:58 PM
    You need to downgrade BBM then re-install through App World.

Go to rroyy.com and download/install previous version of BBM
    Reboot
    Uninstall BBM
    Reboot
    Install BBM through App World
    Reboot
    I am doing this right now, and I'm going to bookmark rroyy.com
    Last edited by ericdude; 08-07-12 at 08:46 AM.
    08-07-12 08:40 AM
    I did the OTA and it was problematic. then used DM and all is good. I had 205 MB free prior. Now I have 181 MB free. Is this normal? Is the upgrade a bigger file? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    08-07-12 09:13 AM
    I am doing this right now, and I'm going to bookmark rroyy.com

Rroyy.com and www.theiexplorers.com/OTA are great resources.

08-07-12 09:15 AM
    I did the OTA and it was problematic. then used DM and all is good. I had 205 MB free prior. Now I have 181 MB free. Is this normal? Is the upgrade a bigger file? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VZW 9330.

I gained 10 MB compared to previous OS. 181 seems about normal. I have about 162 with minimal apps and only a few items shrunk out.

Did you shrink your previous OS? Which OS are you coming from.

08-07-12 09:20 AM
    Had 7.1.0.163. I have never shrunk an OS before. Should I?

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    08-07-12 09:27 AM
    Had 7.1.0.163. I have never shrunk an OS before. Should I?

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    Your drop in memory was from going from .163 to .580. So you are ok. A few things were added since .163... BlackBerry Device Analyzer, Battery Saving Mode, and Application Resource Monitor.

If you went from .342 or .402 to .580, wouldn't have seen a drop in memory.

Follow me?
    bdguru likes this.
    08-07-12 10:16 AM
    I am on your page.. Thanks for the information.
    08-07-12 10:53 AM
    I am on your page.. Thanks for the information.

You can still shrink if you want. But I stopped a few months back. There is plenty of free memory left.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk�
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    08-07-12 11:21 AM
    I shrunk .580 as I do all my os's. I have 200mb free. The 9930 has enough memory you probably don't need to shrink.
    08-07-12 11:38 AM
    Hi,

So far so good on this release -- quite snappy, OTA update went without too much pain (lost BBM and Analyzer, but got them back).

However, I've lost my Typing options. The menu choice is there, but if I click on it, it opens and goes away again. I've been searching the forums, but haven't found anything yet.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how did you get it back?

By the way, I updated thru OTA because I run Linux, so no desktop manager. After installation, did a few battery pulls for good measure. Also, I checked the application properties in the Application Management screen - spellcheck is there with a version of 7.1.0.580, 4.8 kb in size;as well as tid_spell_check (133.1 kb).

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by snickdog; 08-07-12 at 01:15 PM. Reason: More information...
    08-07-12 01:05 PM
    Second day and the only clocking I have had is downloading (web page, data, etc.) nothing internal.

Muy Bien!

08-07-12 01:38 PM
    So Dustanh and anyone else that cares.

I had to do a device wipe. After downgrade and the re-upgrade, it was working just fine, but then all-of-sudden it just returned to the same problem (small icons, can't do much of anything but call), but after doing a device wipe and re-re-upgrade, everything is just fine.

I notices a few more changes:
    - There is an Application Resource Monitor, which acts like an app killer. It's default to vibrate and ring when it kills an app because it's draining BB resources...

- There is no lagging between unused to unlock--before the upgrade, I would sit and wait for my 9930 to go from unused to unlock to functioning like a BB. Everything seems to flow smoothly...Maybe the device wipe helped

- I think I mentioned this already on a previous post, but you can select to turn off all of the emergency alerts except for the Presidential Alerts.

- There is Media Server sharing option under Networks and Connections, which seems to want to connect with my DirecTV stuff, but not my Western Digital My Live Book.

- I've notice significant battery life improvement. I haven't measured it yet. But I didn't feel the need to charge throughout the day and night.

- Didn't notice this before, but there's a Parental Controls under Security?

- One CON is that we all of these updates, battery improvement is a great plus, but why must my camera always click? Especially with all sounds and alerts are off...?

Guess you can't have it all :|
    08-07-12 02:16 PM
    So Dustanh and anyone else that cares.

I had to do a device wipe. After downgrade and the re-upgrade, it was working just fine, but then all-of-sudden it just returned to the same problem (small icons, can't do much of anything but call), but after doing a device wipe and re-re-upgrade, everything is just fine.

I notices a few more changes:
    - There is an Application Resource Monitor, which acts like an app killer. It's default to vibrate and ring when it kills an app because it's draining BB resources...

- There is no lagging between unused to unlock--before the upgrade, I would sit and wait for my 9930 to go from unused to unlock to functioning like a BB. Everything seems to flow smoothly...Maybe the device wipe helped

- I think I mentioned this already on a previous post, but you can select to turn off all of the emergency alerts except for the Presidential Alerts.

- There is Media Server sharing option under Networks and Connections, which seems to want to connect with my DirecTV stuff, but not my Western Digital My Live Book.

- I've notice significant battery life improvement. I haven't measured it yet. But I didn't feel the need to charge throughout the day and night.

- Didn't notice this before, but there's a Parental Controls under Security?

- One CON is that we all of these updates, battery improvement is a great plus, but why must my camera always click? Especially with all sounds and alerts are off...?

Guess you can't have it all :|
    You can change the vibrate/sound for Application Resource Monitor in sound profiles.

I think Parental Controls popped up in .4xx releases.

I think the camera sounds for privacy matters. Think about it� But I have seen camera mute apps mentioned here and there, but not an issue for me.
    08-07-12 02:39 PM
    If anyone has any idea how to get the following items back, without using DM -- I'd surely appreciate it!

1. Typing options.

2. Emergency Alerts.

Thanks in advance!
    08-07-12 02:40 PM
154 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD