Hey folks,

I'm looking to make the Now network a thing of the past and jump ship to the big red machine. I popped into a Verizon store yesterday and asked about bringing my Sprint CDMA-powered 9930 on Verizon's network and employees were vague about why my Sprint phone won't work with them, even if unlocked.

Since I don't believe them, I come to you. Is it possible?

Oh, and while I'm here, it really sucks that their buyback for my phone is only $95 while it still sells for $230. Looks like I'll need to sell mine on eBay or something.

Thanks for the help and clarifications to come.

Cheers,
    Angel
    02-11-12 11:49 AM
    While technically it might be possible, as a practical matter it is not. Neither Sprint nor Verizon will activate a phone on their network that was sold by the other. Locked or unlocked is irrelevant. The carriers just won't do it. If you want to use Verizon's network, you have to buy your phone from Verizon. Or at least have a Verizon-branded phone. You could buy it used from someone else.
    02-11-12 11:54 AM
    Thanks, Jeff. Just trying to understand, because it feels like the "practical matter" is really only a concern for the carriers. I bought a phone, not undying loyalty to a service provider. Their interests in where/how I spend my money shouldn't matter. If I bring a CDMA phone to a CDMA network, that should be sufficient.

Mostly, I'm curious about the technology and the process. I see people here discussing options for international compatibility. I'm wondering about that domestically.

For instance, when I was an iPhone user, the AT&T phone worked when I was a T-Mobile customer (sans 3G speed). Is that the kind of limitation I should expect?
    Last edited by Amen; 02-11-12 at 01:01 PM.
    02-11-12 12:58 PM
    I don't think you can expect it to work at all. You can't use a CDMA phone without the carrier activating it on the network. Verizon won't activate a Sprint phone. The iPhone you used on AT&T and T-Mobile is a GSM phone. That's a key difference. If the 9930 is a world phone, you may be able to use it on a GSM carrier. I haven't researched that.
    02-11-12 01:32 PM
    Jeff is, as usual, absolutely correct. It's not going to happen. You will need a Verizon branded device.

Verizon doesn't care if you bought an "undying loyalty to a service provider" or not.

But they will not let you activate a Sprint branded device on their network. And neither will Sprint allow you to activate a Verizon branded device on their network.
    02-11-12 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD