Is it ok to use the Playbook Charger with the 9900 or will it ruin the battery?
    04-24-12 04:59 PM
    I don't expect any major problems provided the physical connectors are compatible (I don't have a PB but if it's a regular microUSB it should work). The phone's charging circuit does all the control and will just take as much power it needs, probably rather less than the PB brick is capable of delivering.

Don't expect the higher rated charger to charge the phone at maximum charger rating. It probably won't unless the PB charger is cheaper than I think, but it might be a little faster than the standard charger.
    04-24-12 05:39 PM
    I use it to charge my 9900 at night, and it's definitely faster.

I've been using it since I bought my Playbook last year and have had no issues with it thus far.
    04-24-12 05:47 PM
    I only charge with the pb charger. Lol
    I use the regular charger to charge my wife card. No issues at all
    04-24-12 06:09 PM
    Yep, straight from RIM The Power Button and Charging your BlackBerry PlayBook �Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Don't use your 9900 charger to charge the PlayBook though, that's supposedly incompatible (I've asked why on that page numerous times and have never got a real response)
    04-24-12 06:10 PM
    I too have been using the PB rapid chargers with a couple of BB's for almost a year. No issues. And yes, it does charge a lot more quickly. ~ecm
    04-24-12 08:25 PM
    On a good day when I plug it in and don't touch the phone it averages about 46% charge every 30 mins. That's insanely fast.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-24-12 08:40 PM
    Yep, straight from RIM The Power Button and Charging your BlackBerry PlayBook �Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Don't use your 9900 charger to charge the PlayBook though, that's supposedly incompatible (I've asked why on that page numerous times and have never got a real response)
    Nowhere in the blog does it say anything about using the PB charger with a 9900, not from RIM anyway. You can use it all day long on ANY micro USB BlackBerry however. The reverse is not true, only because there isn't enough current to charge a PB battery with a 700 or 750 ma charger.
    04-24-12 08:41 PM
    Rim actually sells the PB's included ac charger as a rapid charger for their phones that have the micro-usb port.
    04-24-12 08:51 PM
    You can use a phone charger on a PB, it just takes longer, for the same reason a PB charger will rapid charge a phone.
    04-24-12 08:58 PM
    Nowhere in the blog does it say anything about using the PB charger with a 9900, not from RIM anyway. You can use it all day long on ANY micro USB BlackBerry however. The reverse is not true, only because there isn't enough current to charge a PB battery with a 700 or 750 ma charger.
    From the blog, fourth paragraph from the top:

You will also need to ensure you are using a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet-compatible charger, such as the charger that’s included in the box at purchase. If you own a BlackBerry� smartphone, the charger that you use for it is not compatible with your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet charger, however, is capable of charging both a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and a BlackBerry smartphone.
    I guess you are somewhat right though, it doesn't say 9900, but the 9900 is a BlackBerry smartphone. I guess it isn't from RIM either, but from BlackBerry. I didn't realize things get that technical for you, sorry.

My 9930, 9650, 9550, and 9530 chargers work just fine to charge my PlayBook though. Yeah, it's little slow, and the PB sometimes needs a reset to get it charging (not just the plugged in indicator), but it's better than nothing.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 04-24-12 at 09:21 PM.
    04-24-12 09:19 PM
    I use both the 9900 and PB chargers interchangeably, haven't found an issue. I have found that when I use my 9900 charger to charge the PB it charges, just does so slower - as indicated by the plug in symbol on the battery icon (as opposed to a lightning bolt).
    04-24-12 10:25 PM
    From what I know kevin already posted this.

He said that if you charge your BB with the playbook's charger it will charge your bb even faster. I think half the time when you charge it with the BB charger.
    04-24-12 11:03 PM
    I have always noticed all my phones battery drains faster if i use my playbook charger
    04-25-12 01:19 AM
    Yep. It's faster than the stock one. I use my playbook charger on my 9850. I use my 9850 charger on my playbook -- though it charges very slowly. And I use my wife's kindle charger on both my phone and playbook. It's all fine.
    04-25-12 02:02 AM
    From the blog, fourth paragraph from the top:

I guess you are somewhat right though, it doesn't say 9900, but the 9900 is a BlackBerry smartphone. I guess it isn't from RIM either, but from BlackBerry. I didn't realize things get that technical for you, sorry.

My 9930, 9650, 9550, and 9530 chargers work just fine to charge my PlayBook though. Yeah, it's little slow, and the PB sometimes needs a reset to get it charging (not just the plugged in indicator), but it's better than nothing.
    My bad, didn't see that in P4.
    04-25-12 06:33 AM
    use mine super fast charge!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-25-12 06:21 PM
    I have always noticed all my phones battery drains faster if i use my playbook charger
    Me too

It's charging faster but also discharge faster too

Only use it when I am out of normal charger and I'm with my PlayBook / charger
    04-25-12 08:18 PM
    There are some that say it will degrade the capacity of the battery quicker than using the standard charger. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries This has some good info. I still use my PB charger interchangeably with the original 9930 charger. Whichever I'm closer to is what I use. Seems fine to me.....
    04-25-12 10:09 PM
    I have used my PB charger to charge both my 9800 and 9810. I personally found the phones heated up more than usual, and became somewhat unresponsive at times.

I don't do it often anymore, since I feel it is overcharging the battery.

My .02
    04-25-12 10:13 PM
    OP, I suggest using it for the extended battery, as it'll only charge the stock one at it's maximum miliamps, 1230 mAh.

If you have an extended one at 1800 mAh or higher, it'll charge faster, at the charger's mAh rating of 1800 mAh.

Just some insight and advice.
    04-26-12 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD